BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
Wisey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3

Steering lock for Ix3?

Hello
Can anyone advise which (high security) steering locks will fit an Ix3 M
pro? I got a stop lock pro elite - but unless I’m being an idiot it doesn’t seem to fit. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisey View Post
Hello
Can anyone advise which (high security) steering locks will fit an Ix3 M
pro? I got a stop lock pro elite - but unless I’m being an idiot it doesn’t seem to fit. Thank you!
I also purchased a Stoplock Elite Pro prior to arrival of my iX3 M Sport Pro as it was on offer at Halfords. It fitted over the steering wheel/air bag as it was the elite but it was a pain in the a.. to put it on and it also marked the steering wheel so I gave it away after using it twice I think.

I then purchased the following (in Silver) which should make things awkward to those thieves packing a laptop rather than an angle grinder and I find it easy to put on and take off. It won't stop theft of the air bag as it doesn't cover the centre, but if it did like the Stoplock then I probably wouldn't use it!

NB: This version is the + version which has a sleeve case and rubber cups that rest on the steering wheel. As shown in the product pictures you need to turn the steering wheel right or left 90 degrees from centre and slots over the spoke as a support. It also comes with 3 keys rather than the usual 2 for the Stoplocks.

Product website:
https://www.milenco.com/products/aut...eel-lock-1-1-1

There are several retailers listed on the Milenco website but I got it from here and it arrived promptly and well packaged.
https://www.thejourneycentre.co.uk/c...ck-plus-p16715
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
Wisey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3

Thank you! Very helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Serious question. Do these locks make any difference these days?

The car comes with motion sensitive keys, which deactivate after a period of time, hence preventing relay attack, so this kind of theft should be unlikely. And if a professional car thief is targeting an iX3 (with all the security features it is unlikely to be a joy rider), will it not be very easy for them to defeat a device like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Serious question. Do these locks make any difference these days?

The car comes with motion sensitive keys, which deactivate after a period of time, hence preventing relay attack, so this kind of theft should be unlikely. And if a professional car thief is targeting an iX3 (with all the security features it is unlikely to be a joy rider), will it not be very easy for them to defeat a device like this?
They seem to be able to get into an iX3 with ease as poor tc_303 experienced recently. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943120

The steering lock will not help with something like this although it might make it awkward to work in. If they are looking to steal it then maybe it will put them off and perhaps target a vehicle they can steal in a few seconds rather than perhaps a couple of minutes and make a mess/create noise in the process.

At least it is something visible and even with a tracker or two fitted if they have stolen the car then they will probably be equipped to deal with them.

Having felt how solid the Milenco is and how it fits to the steering wheel then unless drilling the lock works then I certainly hope I always have access to the key for it!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
They seem to be able to get into an iX3 with ease as poor tc_303 experienced recently. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943120
However, we don't know how they managed to get into that vehicle. One example does not mean that it is an easy vehicle to break into.

The security features in the iX3 are no different to the X3. And we don't read about X3s being broken into or stolen frequently.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
However, we don't know how they managed to get into that vehicle. One example does not mean that it is an easy vehicle to break into.

The security features in the iX3 are no different to the X3. And we don't read about X3s being broken into or stolen frequently.
This is very true but get in they did and leave it locked when they had finished it seems... I would agree that an X3 and perhaps more so an iX3 are perhaps a lower target for theft and that was one of my reasons for the iX3 over a JLR product.

Fingers crossed our iX3's all remain where we leave them.
Appreciate 0