BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
mm9351
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Question Replace front upper grille with Lighted Iconic Grille

I'm sure this isn't the first post on this topic, but has anyone attempted to swap out the original OEM grille on a 2020+ X6 with the new "lighted iconic grille" that's becoming more prevalent on the 22's? From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the grille swap doesn't look very complex, except not sure how to tie in the leads from the LEDs. Looks like the lighted grill is available online from a few sources. Also, does the vehicle need to be programmed to learn / recognize the new accessory, as in some pix I've seen the option on the i-drive controller screen to turn it off / on. If this is problematic, I may need to visit the dealer.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight on this subject!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
I'm a little late to this topic but I was wondering the same thing. I am a client advisor and I have a client who wanted to retrofit the illuminated kidney grill on an X6 M50. I couldn't find anywhere online where someone had done this. There are several posts here like this one with the same question and no answers. After a long talk with the parts department and the shop foreman we figured it out.

The parts were about $1500. It's the one piece black kidney grills and two pieces that mount behind the kidney grills that house the LEDs. The wiring is already there. After install the lights had to be coded but that was pretty simple too. Now the car has the illuminated grills exactly as it would have come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:16 AM   #3
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
I'm a little late to this topic but I was wondering the same thing. I am a client advisor and I have a client who wanted to retrofit the illuminated kidney grill on an X6 M50. I couldn't find anywhere online where someone had done this. There are several posts here like this one with the same question and no answers. After a long talk with the parts department and the shop foreman we figured it out.

The parts were about $1500. It's the one piece black kidney grills and two pieces that mount behind the kidney grills that house the LEDs. The wiring is already there. After install the lights had to be coded but that was pretty simple too. Now the car has the illuminated grills exactly as it would have come from the factory.
Any photos of the lighted LED's?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:26 AM   #4
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I2P View Post
Any photos of the lighted LED's?
There's tons of pictures online. Just Google it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:48 AM   #5
mm9351
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post

My dealer advised it could not be done. But since I still liked the look of the black grill I just swapped out my metal look with a new one, to match with my existing shadowline trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm9351 View Post

My dealer advised it could not be done. But since I still liked the look of the black grill I just swapped out my metal look with a new one, to match with my existing shadowline trim.
Swapping out the black grill is easy, but the full illuminated grill can be done. I saw it with my oen eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:21 PM   #7
Jessehere
Rep
Drives: 22x6

Do all the x6s have the wiring for the iconic grill? Or how can that be added?
Appreciate 0