E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valvetronic Motor installation

10-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
cgoodwin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMW, Mercedes and Por

Valvetronic Motor installation

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the DME to relearn the limits of the valvetronic motor. The motor failed and was replaced, now the vehicle will start and run fine until it is shut off, then it will not start again unless the valvetronic motor is removed and reinstalled. I do not have access to a scan tool and am wondering if there is a method to get the DME to relearn the limits...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Just so I have this straight, your workaround for this issue has been to remove and reinstall the VT motor every time you want to start your car…?

If so, you’ll be blown away at how much easier it is to get access to a scan tool than to continue with this. A $30 cable or <$200 handheld scan tool—either would work.

So, to your question: Some folks claim re-learning the ends stops is unnecessary and that this happens when you put the key in (or the car ON). You will (should) hear the VT motor run when you do this. Honestly I have no idea whether this is what’s actually happening, but the only way I’ve every known to actually re-learn the limits is with software/scan tool. Dead easy, all you need is a cable and some software.

Edit: You should also scan for codes. No guarantee that simply relearning limits will resolve the issue.

Last edited by e90yyc; 10-15-2022 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00
      10-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
cgoodwin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMW, Mercedes and Por

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Just so I have this straight, your workaround for this issue has been to remove and reinstall the VT motor every time you want to start your car…?

If so, you’ll be blown away at how much easier it is to get access to a scan tool than to continue with this. A $30 cable or <$200 handheld scan tool—either would work.
Wow, no, that is not the work around, it is what has been done to diagnose the issue with no scan tool. The vehicle is in rural Mexico and I am helping the owner remotely.

So I should gather from your response that you do not know if there is a way to trigger a re-learn cycle for the VVT.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 07:45 PM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Whew! I was hoping I wasn’t understanding that right, haha…

Unfortunately yes. No way to run the actual procedure that I’m aware of. Possible I’m mistaken.