E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > NASTY oil filter housing gasket leak.

10-14-2022, 08:15 PM   #1
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

NASTY oil filter housing gasket leak.

Ok everyone. Little back story, I just recently replaced my valve cover and gasket with a new one. All seemed fine but still seeing oil dripping with the under belly cover off. Trying clean all this oil up since valve cover has prob Been leaking flr 20k+ miles.

Well taking things apart and cleaning oil I see a nasty caked area under the oil filter housing. I mean CAKED. I know this car hasn’t had it done since I’ve owned it at 55k miles it’s now at 130k miles…

It’s an 09 335i with sport. Does this mean I have an oil cooler?

Would you rate this job harder than a valve cover replacement? My under belly cover is caked as well this ofhg looks like it’s been leaking probaly 20k+ miles as well I can’t believe the belt hasn’t been slipped off.

At this point it’s an emergency to me. I need to get this done and cleaned up ASAP.

Even my oil pan is caked around that could be leaking as well.. who knows. Ofhg next

2006 330xi / sedan / black and saddle brown / sport, cold weather & premium / stock - mine! ( purchased 04/01/2014 )
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
Ok everyone. Little back story, I just recently replaced my valve cover and gasket with a new one. All seemed fine but still seeing oil dripping with the under belly cover off. Trying clean all this oil up since valve cover has prob Been leaking flr 20k+ miles.

Well taking things apart and cleaning oil I see a nasty caked area under the oil filter housing. I mean CAKED. I know this car hasn’t had it done since I’ve owned it at 55k miles it’s now at 130k miles…

It’s an 09 335i with sport. Does this mean I have an oil cooler?

Would you rate this job harder than a valve cover replacement? My under belly cover is caked as well this ofhg looks like it’s been leaking probaly 20k+ miles as well I can’t believe the belt hasn’t been slipped off.

At this point it’s an emergency to me. I need to get this done and cleaned up ASAP.

Even my oil pan is caked around that could be leaking as well.. who knows. Ofhg next

You do have an oil cooler (and thus, another oil cooler seal) with the sport package. I have the exact same car.

If you have the time I’d throughly clean all of the mating surfaces (gently though), make sure they’re totally dry, and then proceed with the OFHG install.

Here’s a good DIY: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938455

I’d definitely replace all belts & pulleys too. FWIW I’ve had an oil pan gasket leak for the last 90K miles, and consume 1 qt of oil every 7700 miles - so pretty low priority for me personally.

Oh, and use the OE BMW gaskets. They have materials from Japan and are a much improved design as well. The cheap Autozone stuff will leak and cause more trouble than they’re worth.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
You do have an oil cooler (and thus, another oil cooler seal) with the sport package. I have the exact same car.

If you have the time I’d throughly clean all of the mating surfaces (gently though), make sure they’re totally dry, and then proceed with the OFHG install.

Here’s a good DIY: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938455

I’d definitely replace all belts & pulleys too. FWIW I’ve had an oil pan gasket leak for the last 90K miles, and consume 1 qt of oil every 7700 miles - so pretty low priority for me personally.

Oh, and use the OE BMW gaskets. They have materials from Japan and are a much improved design as well. The cheap Autozone stuff will leak and cause more trouble than they’re worth.
Thanks for youre reply! I will defintely be going with the oem gaskets as I heard material was revised and better! Is eldor an oem for ofhg? I know fcp sells it in a kit..

Also for $160/set of pulleys and serp belt not a bad idea to replace those as well.. just cause my pulleys are caked! A new belt at very least..

That’s good to know on youre oil pan. Mines prob in a similier boat. Think it’s leaking Forsure cause belly pan and thst area are caked rigut where the atf pan sits
Appreciate 0