bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #1
Nboutin2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Akrapovic Exhaust 👀

So I suckered out and bought the Akrapovic exhaust. Overall, it sounds sexy. Super deep, louder/deeper than any exhaust for the G42 that I’ve heard of/watched yet. I’ll attach a couple videos but for whatever reason, they didn’t capture the true sound of the exhaust. I even did a video outside of the car with some fly-bys and it didn’t sound nearly as good as in person.

For anyone who does install it by themselves, I had my dad help me and we were able to do it using some car ramps. The actual exhaust install was pretty easy. The hardest parts were taking every single bolt, and rivet (I think they’re rivets. They pop out and pop in?) while being under the car in the now cold Minnesota weather lol. The other hard part was the wiring. There is one part that says to take a green and white wire pairs and place it inside the CAN sniffer which sounds easy enough until you see there is 3-4 different green/white wire pairs. We got it all to start up and by default, I believe the valves are open when you start the car up without the sound kit controller/receiver which is a separate product you buy. The TNG controller part did have an “abnormal” light pop up which was flashing green. The instructions talks about having to go to an “Akrapovic dealer” and have them run it on a PC. I emailed Akrapovic to see if there is another option because I’d rather not pay a dealer to run something on their computer that I can just do at home or try some easier quick fixes.

TL;DR I suckered out the $6500 for the slip on exhaust because I’m a dumbass. Was it worth it for me personally? Absolutely. Is it worth $6500 MSRP? Based on other exhausts for BMWs by Akrapovic, it seems a bit high but not completely outrageous in comparison.

If anyone has questions about the install or better sound clips, let me know and I’ll try to help.

Anyone looking to buy, hit up mike@x-ph.com. Quick shipping and was very easy to work with!

https://youtube.com/shorts/MSlXFRr1f_A?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/Wnr_ukMRfog?feature=share

Last edited by Nboutin2; 10-16-2022 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 3
DrJLag420799.00
Red_sir131.50
shonseb148.50
      10-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Cool but no exhaust is worth that kind of money for this car.
Appreciate 5
SN1P3211.50
XC3LLR82062.50
BPM2407.50
      10-16-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I say if you got it, spend it. Sounds raw. I bet it sounds better in person. I have an Akra for my motorcycle. Love it.

Got any pix of the exhaust on the car.
Appreciate 1
shonseb148.50
      10-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #4
Rw-M240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nboutin2 View Post
So I suckered out and bought the Akrapovic exhaust. Overall, it sounds sexy. Super deep, louder/deeper than any exhaust for the G42 that I've heard of/watched yet. I'll attach a couple videos but for whatever reason, they didn't capture the true sound of the exhaust. I even did a video outside of the car with some fly-bys and it didn't sound nearly as good as in person.

For anyone who does install it by themselves, I had my dad help me and we were able to do it using some car ramps. The actual exhaust install was pretty easy. The hardest parts were taking every single bolt, and rivet (I think they're rivets. They pop out and pop in?) while being under the car in the now cold Minnesota weather lol. The other hard part was the wiring. There is one part that says to take a green and white wire pairs and place it inside the CAN sniffer which sounds easy enough until you see there is 3-4 different green/white wire pairs. We got it all to start up and by default, I believe the valves are open when you start the car up without the sound kit controller/receiver which is a separate product you buy. The TNG controller part did have an "abnormal" light pop up which was flashing green. The instructions talks about having to go to an "Akrapovic dealer" and have them run it on a PC. I emailed Akrapovic to see if there is another option because I'd rather not pay a dealer to run something on their computer that I can just do at home or try some easier quick fixes.

TL;DR I suckered out the $6500 for the slip on exhaust because I'm a dumbass. Was it worth it for me personally? Absolutely. Is it worth $6500 MSRP? Based on other exhausts for BMWs by Akrapovic, it seems a bit high but not completely outrageous in comparison.

If anyone has questions about the install or better sound clips, let me know and I'll try to help.

Anyone looking to buy, hit up mike@x-ph.com. Quick shipping and was very easy to work with!

Man what a lot for an exhaust! I spend 2300$ for the milltek catback and definitely have more sound than the slip on. Should've looked around more there are a lot of options that sound just as good for way less.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #5
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rw-M240 View Post
Man what a lot for an exhaust! I spend 2300$ for the milltek catback and definitely have more sound than the slip on. Should've looked around more there are a lot of options that sound just as good for way less.
Be easy on him...he just dropped more on an exhaust than many people make in 3 months after taxes.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Rw-M240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240SLC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rw-M240 View Post
Be easy on him...he just dropped more on an exhaust than many people make in 3 months after taxes.
And more than 10% of the cars msrp 🤯
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Back in my motorcycle days Akrapovic was the first place I'd look, but even then I'd often settle for a knockoff at a fraction of the cost (Wings). I was excited when I saw an Akrapovic option for the 240...and then I saw the price. I said to myself, "Nobody will ever buy this!"

Sounds great and glad you're enjoying it - it's unique!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the shoutout and congrats on the new exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:11 PM   #9
kbreezc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nboutin2 View Post
So I suckered out and bought the Akrapovic exhaust. Overall, it sounds sexy. Super deep, louder/deeper than any exhaust for the G42 that I’ve heard of/watched yet. I’ll attach a couple videos but for whatever reason, they didn’t capture the true sound of the exhaust. I even did a video outside of the car with some fly-bys and it didn’t sound nearly as good as in person.

For anyone who does install it by themselves, I had my dad help me and we were able to do it using some car ramps. The actual exhaust install was pretty easy. The hardest parts were taking every single bolt, and rivet (I think they’re rivets. They pop out and pop in?) while being under the car in the now cold Minnesota weather lol. The other hard part was the wiring. There is one part that says to take a green and white wire pairs and place it inside the CAN sniffer which sounds easy enough until you see there is 3-4 different green/white wire pairs. We got it all to start up and by default, I believe the valves are open when you start the car up without the sound kit controller/receiver which is a separate product you buy. The TNG controller part did have an “abnormal” light pop up which was flashing green. The instructions talks about having to go to an “Akrapovic dealer” and have them run it on a PC. I emailed Akrapovic to see if there is another option because I’d rather not pay a dealer to run something on their computer that I can just do at home or try some easier quick fixes.

TL;DR I suckered out the $6500 for the slip on exhaust because I’m a dumbass. Was it worth it for me personally? Absolutely. Is it worth $6500 MSRP? Based on other exhausts for BMWs by Akrapovic, it seems a bit high but not completely outrageous in comparison.

If anyone has questions about the install or better sound clips, let me know and I’ll try to help.

Did you ever find a solution to the blinking green light on the TNG controller? Or ever connect the green and white wire for the 'CAN"? My instructions mention going to their website and using a 'Akratool Diagnostic Utility" but cant find it on there. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:16 PM   #10
Nboutin2
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreezc View Post
Did you ever find a solution to the blinking green light on the TNG controller? Or ever connect the green and white wire for the 'CAN"? My instructions mention going to their website and using a 'Akratool Diagnostic Utility" but cant find it on there. Thanks
Reposting this here instead of private message incase anyone runs into this..

Hi! Yes I did. I'm not sure if this is entirely why it fixed but you need the Akrapovic sound kit. It gives you the button to enable/disable the valves.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...28&yearId=7551 That fixed it for me. I did try that diagnostic tool but cant remember what came of it. It didn't do anything but I can't remember why or what it did.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0