BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
dasistato
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, E30

Car cover?

Hi all,

Trying to find a thick car cover to prevent little ones from scratching the car when they are in close proximity of the car in garage.

Got any recommendations?

Complimentary pic:
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Ended up buying Cosmos car cover (large) from Amazon, a snug fit and protects just fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
dasistato
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Ended up buying Cosmos car cover (large) from Amazon, a snug fit and protects just fine.
Looks snug. Is it this one? Cosmos 10331 Indoor Car Cover Elastic Breathable Dustproof Full Super Soft Protection 130gsm Fabric in Large, Blue https://a.co/d/0Ehasry
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Went with this one - Not the best fit even though the dimensions seemed more than sufficient for complete coverage. This cover does not fit 100%. The front does not get covered completely. Sorry, did not take a picture when I test-fitted.

https://a.co/d/gjOQgzY

I would not recommend this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #5
Cerealkiller
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Anyone have recommendations on outdoor car covers?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasistato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Looks snug. Is it this one? Cosmos 10331 Indoor Car Cover Elastic Breathable Dustproof Full Super Soft Protection 130gsm Fabric in Large, Blue https://a.co/d/0Ehasry
Looks like the one, had as a gift. The bag helps with storage of cover when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

I've got the Halfords 1, pretty decent actually and fits pretty good
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealkiller View Post
Anyone have recommendations on outdoor car covers?
Highly recommend against using covers, especially outdoor.

If you're not putting the cover on perfectly clean paint, the cover can and will scratch or leave swirls. Even the best covers. Especially outdoors when wind blows the cover around. It can potentially cause more damage than protection.

Source: I used to cover my last car and kept wondering where all the swirls were coming from. It was the damn cover! I no longer need to use a cover and will never look back
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #9
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Highly recommend against using covers, especially outdoor.

If you're not putting the cover on perfectly clean paint, the cover can and will scratch or leave swirls. Even the best covers. Especially outdoors when wind blows the cover around. It can potentially cause more damage than protection.

Source: I used to cover my last car and kept wondering where all the swirls were coming from. It was the damn cover! I no longer need to use a cover and will never look back
Good advice. In the case of the outdoor car cover the cure is about as bad as the disease.

I tried one for my Boxster. I could use it it only after washing and drying the car.

But even a 10 mile drive to the office had dust on the car and me reluctant to use the cover.

In bad weather I was stuck with a big heavy and wet car cover or big heavy and covered with snow/ice car cover. One wanted to "fold" the cover to avoid getting the inner lining wet or dirty. An outdoor car cover even wet and warm from the sun is not easy to fold right.

And the thing took up considerable room in the front trunk.

Neighbor had a cover for his 993 Turbo. Often I'd spot the cover coming loose a corner whipping in the wind. The neighbor was often away so I'd go over and secure the cover. Then when I'd see him again I'd let him know the cover was not staying put.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Indoors, as has been mentioned, just the act of putting the cover on and removing it will move any dirt particles around and potentially micro scratch your finish. Once you cover a dirty car with it, it will hold those particles as well and continue to potentially damage finish. Also not sure how much protection that thin cover as shown will help against incidental damage. When i had classic cars that i drove not often i would use a car cover after washing/drying but that was a quite heavy cotton cover with a plush inner liner liner that gave some degree of protection. What i eventually used to achieve a looser fit over the car, was just to sew a few of bed sheets together that roughly mimicked the shape of a car and loosely draped it over the cars...mostly to keep dust/airborne stuff off the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #11
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Mine only goes on after a wash and clean. Never applied when it's dirty.
Appreciate 0