E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help, E91 Dying randomly, tons of codes

10-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #1
dragon-fly
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 BMW E46

Need help, E91 Dying randomly, tons of codes

Need help, E91 Dying randomly, tons of codes that i cant figure out where to start with.

Car: E91 Wagon 2006 325XI Magnesium valve cover 6AT ZF transmission.

Current issue: Car dies somewhat randomly, causing 4x4 and Gearbox to come up.

Codes that I have seen pop up so far:

0051A7 No message (engine speed), receiver EGS transmitter DME-DDE
0055C3 VTG AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.
0055C5 Message (engine torque 3, 0xAA) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DME-DDE
005F76 DSC: Engine management: interface

After doing valve cover gasket as I had apparently had a massive leak due to 5 broken bolts:
NEW:
002F9A DME: Outside-temperature sensor, communication
002A94 DME: Crankshaft sensor, signal

Car has been pretty good for most of my ownership but these last few months have been quite trying.

Recently did:
Transmission filter and pan replacement with 8 liters fluid fill flush, including mechatronics sleeve, seals and connector O-ring replacement
Prior to this car went into Limp mode twice, stuck in 2nd gear, and had a visible transmission fluid leak from the electrical connector up top. But did not have these other codes. These codes popped up since the transmission work.

I'd like input as to what I should be doing.

Seems like Crankshaft sensor will definitely need looking at.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #2
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

I know a bad voltage regulator in the alternator can cause a slew of weird problems. Check that and grounds
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-fly View Post
... E91 Wagon 2006 325XI... Current issue: Car dies somewhat randomly, causing 4x4 and Gearbox to come up. Codes that I have seen pop up so far:
005F76 DSC: Engine management: interface

After doing valve cover gasket as I had apparently had a massive leak due to 5 broken bolts:
NEW:
002F9A DME: Outside-temperature sensor, communication
002A94 DME: Crankshaft sensor, signal
Recently did:
Transmission filter and pan replacement, including mechatronics sleeve, seals and connector O-ring replacement
Prior to this car went into Limp mode twice, stuck in 2nd gear, and had a visible transmission fluid leak from the electrical connector up top. But did not have these other codes. These codes [you mean 4 communication codes?] popped up since the transmission work...
Questions:
1) What Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) do you have?
2) My interpretation of your post is that the 4 communication codes listed first occurred AFTER transmission work & Last 2 codes (ambient Temp & RPM signals) occurred AFTER VCG repair? If that is NOT correct, please advise.
3) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? (for correct ISTA PT-CAN bus wiring & Connectors).
4) Exactly WHAT was replaced or changed when you did "connector O-ring replacement"?

My SWAG, simply based upon your description above -- MORE tests required, is that:
1) The PT-CAN Pins, #2 (Yellow wire) & #6 (Black wire) at the Transmission Connector X8500 (round 16-pin connector) are NOT making proper contact, or there is damage to one of those two wires.
2) The wiring harness from the DME, in the area of the VC which was changed, may be damaged, perhaps from pinched wires, affecting signals to the DME from Crank Sensor & Ambient Temp Sensor.

The 4 codes beginning with "5" are all communication faults, where an issue with the PT-CAN wiring is the most likely cause. The last two codes, beginning with "2", are faults related to signals from sensors as received by the DME.

HOW to test or confirm the cause and WHEN the issue is occurring, if intermittent, is best ascertained by Freeze Frame Data, using proper Scan Tool or INPA/ISTA. If the fault is "currently present", Live Data will allow diagnosis. So identification of Diagnostic Tools you have available will allow us to suggest specific tests with those tools.
George
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
dragon-fly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Questions:
1) What Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) do you have?
2) My interpretation of your post is that the 4 communication codes listed first occurred AFTER transmission work & Last 2 codes (ambient Temp & RPM signals) occurred AFTER VCG repair? If that is NOT correct, please advise.
3) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? (for correct ISTA PT-CAN bus wiring & Connectors).
4) Exactly WHAT was replaced or changed when you did "connector O-ring replacement"?

My SWAG, simply based upon your description above -- MORE tests required, is that:
1) The PT-CAN Pins, #2 (Yellow wire) & #6 (Black wire) at the Transmission Connector X8500 (round 16-pin connector) are NOT making proper contact, or there is damage to one of those two wires.
2) The wiring harness from the DME, in the area of the VC which was changed, may be damaged, perhaps from pinched wires, affecting signals to the DME from Crank Sensor & Ambient Temp Sensor.

The 4 codes beginning with "5" are all communication faults, where an issue with the PT-CAN wiring is the most likely cause. The last two codes, beginning with "2", are faults related to signals from sensors as received by the DME.

HOW to test or confirm the cause and WHEN the issue is occurring, if intermittent, is best ascertained by Freeze Frame Data, using proper Scan Tool or INPA/ISTA. If the fault is "currently present", Live Data will allow diagnosis. So identification of Diagnostic Tools you have available will allow us to suggest specific tests with those tools.
George
Thank you very much for your comprehensive analysis George,

1) I have access to both inpa and ista but primarily use ista.
2) as far as I remember, yes. I may have had the transmission kick out to 2nd gear and 4x4 come up before the pan replacement, which incited me to do it.
3) KW23569
4) The transmission connector sleeve thing that tends to weep was weeping, I broke one of the two pins on the new one and simply replaced the O rings on the old one.

When I did the vcg, I made sure to not pinch any wires at all, but I did have to lift the wire harnesses and unclip the fuse box. I did not disconnect any harnesses from it though. So you're saying that possibly there might be a bad connection I guess?

I have done some advanced stuff with both inpa and ista as well as winkfp, but my memory is failling and some pointers would definitely help.

I guess I can probably go unhook the transmission connector and douse it in brake cleaner then air compressor then deoxit d5 contact cleaner/enhancer as well as shuffle the fuse box cables around. The temperate sensor one I don't understand because I do have the proper outside temp on my car dash, but it throws an SES and is highly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:05 PM   #5
dragon-fly
Rep

Hi,

Been very busy but here's an update:

Went under the car, disconnected the transmission round connector, brake cleaner and deoxit d5, hooked it back up.

Disconnected the DME completely, went with deoxit d5, hooked everything up again.

The 002F9A DME: Outside-temperature sensor, communication is fixed, gone for good.

First start had a super long crank, but it did eventually start.

Ran the car for several minutes and went around the block. Worked fine.
Then the car just died while in park on the driveway. 4x4 and transmission error codes came up.

Given I had a broken tube to replace anyways, I removed the intake manifold and crankshaft position sensor because that code did pop up once.

There were magnetic flakes on it part of oily sludge. Could this be the culprit? Should I replace or stick it back in and test?

Also, how does one test for freeze frame rate data using inpa/ista? Is there a guide somewhere?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
pajdos1
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI 318i (N43)

Hello, please, at first, you should to check main +12V connection in the backside of the fuse box. There was a recall for all e91. Connection can be overheated and can lose the connection and sporadically can imaginw your problems
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 03:54 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Ran the car for several minutes and went around the block. Worked fine. Then the car just died while in park on the driveway. 4x4 and transmission error codes came up... how does one test for freeze frame rate data using inpa/ista? Is there a guide somewhere?
Questions:
1) You say "4x4 & transmission error codes came up" -- what do you mean exactly? Warning Lights on Instrument Cluster? If so which ones? Fault Codes?

2) What Fault Codes do you have? What Scan Tool/ Software was used to read?

3) Please attach ScreenPrints of ISTA/ INPA Fault Codes and Fault Details/ FF Data.

Please see attached pdf's:
a) INPA Tutorial Quickstart: examples of Screens used to START diagnosis. Those include (i) Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, listing all Control Modules communicating (~ 20 on your vehicle); (ii) Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules. The latter is quickest way to see ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules in the Vehicle. To See Fault Descriptions and Fault Details, including FF Data, you connect to a particular Module that has on or more fault codes. See Below for DME Faults.

b) ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan: Example ISTA Screens, HOW to view ALL fault Codes in ALL Modules, How to see Description and Fault Details (FF Data) for any single Fault Code in Fault Memory List, and HOW to use "Test Plan", or guided Diagnostics, Flow Chart Method.

I would suggest attaching ScreenPrints here so other Forum Members can help. If you have an questions, or if something doesn't work as inticipated, save a ScreenPrint of any error message or where "the wheels came off", and someone can help.

DME (MSV70) FF Data/Fault Details:
If you want to see "Freeze Frame Data" or the MOST DETAILS related to a particular fault in the DME (Engine Control Module), here is the "Menu Sequence" or "Path" for your MSV70 DME:
INPA > DME (Engine | MSV70 for N52) > F4 Error Memory > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

There will be nearly a full screen of data for EACH fault code in the DME. Don't let the German scare you. Save & Post ScreenPrints of all such screens and someone can help. ALSO see Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=translate
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.61 MB, 44 views)
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #8
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Bad ground cables?? Well known problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:55 PM   #9
dragon-fly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Questions:
1) You say "4x4 & transmission error codes came up" -- what do you mean exactly? Warning Lights on Instrument Cluster? If so which ones? Fault Codes?

2) What Fault Codes do you have? What Scan Tool/ Software was used to read?

3) Please attach ScreenPrints of ISTA/ INPA Fault Codes and Fault Details/ FF Data.

Please see attached pdf's:
a) INPA Tutorial Quickstart: examples of Screens used to START diagnosis. Those include (i) Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, listing all Control Modules communicating (~ 20 on your vehicle); (ii) Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules. The latter is quickest way to see ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules in the Vehicle. To See Fault Descriptions and Fault Details, including FF Data, you connect to a particular Module that has on or more fault codes. See Below for DME Faults.

b) ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan: Example ISTA Screens, HOW to view ALL fault Codes in ALL Modules, How to see Description and Fault Details (FF Data) for any single Fault Code in Fault Memory List, and HOW to use "Test Plan", or guided Diagnostics, Flow Chart Method.

I would suggest attaching ScreenPrints here so other Forum Members can help. If you have an questions, or if something doesn't work as inticipated, save a ScreenPrint of any error message or where "the wheels came off", and someone can help.

DME (MSV70) FF Data/Fault Details:
If you want to see "Freeze Frame Data" or the MOST DETAILS related to a particular fault in the DME (Engine Control Module), here is the "Menu Sequence" or "Path" for your MSV70 DME:
INPA > DME (Engine | MSV70 for N52) > F4 Error Memory > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

There will be nearly a full screen of data for EACH fault code in the DME. Don't let the German scare you. Save & Post ScreenPrints of all such screens and someone can help. ALSO see Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=translate
George
Thank you very very much George, your advice and pointers have been invaluable.

Here is an update:
TLDR:

I went ahead and replaced the Crank Shaft Position Sensor as I did find one single other thread that had similar issues:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737210

So far so good, car has not stalled.

Long version:
I Replaced the CPS also due to that one time where I got a CPS Fault code. Of note, when i pulled out the Old CPS, it had quite a bit of metallic oily residue on it, enough to coat a kleenex. not sure what these flakes came from, and dont know if the CPS is still good and was just being interfered with by the flakes, but its been replaced.

Ground strap (the one under the car) has been replaced - it was badly corroded and a brand new one was put in less than 2 years ago.

Ground to the ignition coil area is clean as I had just replaced the VCG.

"4x4 & transmission error codes came up" by this I mean on the dashboard, the Orange 4x4 and Transmission gear come up at the same time the car dies. It also causes the following codes in ISTA:

Attached is what I started with, the one time I got CPS error, and what I have now

Two codes came from the Intake manifold not being a 3 stage, a 3 Stage has now been installed. The Outside air temperature code DID come back, and my friend told me it was a sensor built into the MAF. I cleaned and deoxit-ed the connector and it seems all good.

I am now in the sub 7 second range 0-60MPH in this car.

Quite pleased.

Thank you all who gave your input.

Hope this helps someone in the future. - 4x4 and transmission code, stuck shifting, all caused by CPS.

Name:  Tons of Codes.PNG
Views: 448
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  Tons of Codes 2.PNG
Views: 454
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  CPS Flakes.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  116.4 KB

Name:  CPS Flakes Standing.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  12 5 2022.PNG
Views: 420
Size:  7.1 KB
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Here is an update: TLDR: I went ahead and replaced the Crank Shaft Position Sensor as I did find one single other thread that had similar issues:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737210
So far so good, car has not stalled...
Thanks for updating -- Good Work!
George
Appreciate 0