E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, my e91 is throwing tons of codes

11-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
colew.22
Rep
Drives: Toyota Camry

My e91 (n51 with 84,500 miles paired with the 6l45 automatic) has had some issues lately, nothing that I can't take care of or that confused me; I've replaced the alternator, starter, and battery.

More recently after I replaced the starter 2 days ago the car was running fine and well. I took it for a drive around my neighborhood with a new air intake in as well. I drove back home and turned the car off and then 30 minutes later I decided to go to the autoparts store. Right as I left my neighborhood I my engine suddenly started ticking loudly, I then pulled over in the closest neighborhood I could find and replaced the new intake with the stock air box after I noticed the MAF sensor sitting unevenly in the new intake. I then drove it back home and parked it until today. Did some research and thought it might have just been lifter tick.

Today I drove it to the autoparts store and used their code reader and got hit with a whopping 16 different codes; here are 15 of the codes:

2A77 - ECU internal error: Valvetronic-output
2A3F - Valvetronic servo motor: power supply
CDAD - Message (requirement road wheel torque drive line, BF)
CD99 - Message (torque requirement EGSelectronic gear control?, B5)
CDA1 - Message (steering wheel angle, C4)
CD9E - Message (gear data 2, 1A2)
CD98 - Message (Torque Requirement
DSCdynamic Stability Control, B6)
CD9D - Message (Gear Data, BA)
CD9C - Message (Speed, 140)
CDA5 - Message (Status DSCdynamic
Stability Control, 19E)
(code 11 which is the only one i don't have a picture of; it is just another message code)
CDB0 - Message (Display Gearbox Data, (1D2)
29CE - Misfirings, cylinder 2
2D67 - DME Digital Motor Electronics, Internal Failure: Control Processors
578E - Transmission fluid deteriorated
CF1C - Lost Communication With DME

I have owned this car for the past 4, possibly 5 months and have treated it very well; I have replaced the aforementioned starter, alternator, and battery, along with wheels, tires, coilovers, oil, oil filter, and headlights. If someone could possibly help diagnose what is going on with my car then I would be forever grateful. So far my only guessed are the ECM or the Valvetronic motor but I could be completely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Step one I would get something that'll let you read codes with your phone... I use the protools app with a kdcan USB cable and a cheapo USB OTG cable.
This will let you read the codes and see if they are current or historical.
The loud ticking coupled with the valve tronic motor error... This would make me want to run through the diagnosis procedure for the valvetronic motor to make sure it's not hosed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by colew.22 View Post
e91 (n51)... I've replaced the alternator, starter, and battery. Today I drove it to the autoparts store and used their code reader and got hit with a whopping 16 different codes; [11 Message/Communication Codes, 2 VVT Voltage/Current Codes, DME Internal Hiccup(?), Misfire Cyl #2, Fluid Wear AT.]
Questions:
1) What are Last-7 Characters of VIN? What is Build Mo/Yr. of your E91/N51?
2) Why was Alternator replaced & WHEN?
3) What make/model/Part# alternator was installed as replacement? New or Reman?
4) Do you have a Multimeter?
5) What Warning Lights appeared PRIOR to replacing Alternator?
6) What Warning Lights appeared on Instrument Cluster BEFORE codes read?
7) Do you have a Windows OS Laptop?
8) Do you have an Android Device?
9) What CC-ID Codes do you have? Follow "Check Control" Procedure in Owner's Manual to read CC-ID Codes.
10) WHERE is ticking noise coming from? Use $5 (HFT) Mechanic's Stethoscope or HOSE to isolate sound source.

With answers to those questions, someone can suggest "Next Steps".
George
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
colew.22
Rep
Drives: Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Step one I would get something that'll let you read codes with your phone... I use the protools app with a kdcan USB cable and a cheapo USB OTG cable.
This will let you read the codes and see if they are current or historical.
The loud ticking coupled with the valve tronic motor error... This would make me want to run through the diagnosis procedure for the valvetronic motor to make sure it's not hosed.
what do you mean by hosed
Appreciate 0