bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #1
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Any overheating on the track???

Do you overheat at the track without the cooling package? Will a universal Mishimoto oil cooler work just the same? Has anyone installed one and seen good results?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I would assume BMW offered a package with additional cooling and braking for a reason, possibly from their own testing during design.

I'd suggest trying out what you got on a single track day; maybe upgrade your brake fluid first, and see how it goes.

Bottom line is this is a great GT car, but not a great track car, whether you have the ZTK package or not. It can make you look like a hero for a single lap, but after that not so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
It can make you look like a hero for a single lap, but after that not so much.
Is this statement from experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #4
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Is this statement from experience?
From several YouTube reviews of the car on tracks, VIR for example, as well as a laps around The Ring. It's a pig, which in part makes it a great GT car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

I haven't tracked mine yet but hope to this summer. I have the cooling track package with the extra cooling though.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 10:48 PM   #6
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
From several YouTube reviews of the car on tracks, VIR for example, as well as a laps around The Ring. It's a pig, which in part makes it a great GT car.

Looks pretty good to me with some simple mods.

Last edited by Red_sir; 03-15-2023 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_sir View Post

He's one of the guy's I was thinking of to make my point. He's done several of these videos with the M240i and w/o mods the car is pretty much done after a single lap on The Ring. He even says the car's weak points are suspension and brakes. Now put the car on a much tighter track (which is any track outside of The Ring) and the car quickly shows it's not designed to spend its time lap after lap on a track. The best (stock) car in the M240i price range to accomplish that feat would be the Camaro SS 1LE...it's a TRACK GOD!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #8
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Here's the video of the same car, same driver, before all the mods, and it was a different story.

In the later video, he had swapped out the seat brackets and seats with lightweight Recaros, modded the brakes, modded the suspension, installed new lightweight tires and wheels, added a massive wing and removed the back seat, he also said he was going to be doing more suspension work.

He spent maybe $12k and probably voided the warranty to make it a very competent track car, but a much less livable street car, that's not really the mission of the M240i xDrive, seems like it would be better to buy an M2.

I'm OK with my M240ix as is, except wheels and tires, which I'm upgrading.

Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #9
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
Here's the video of the same car, same driver, before all the mods, and it was a different story.

In the later video, he had swapped out the seat brackets and seats with lightweight Recaros, modded the brakes, modded the suspension, installed new lightweight tires and wheels, added a massive wing and removed the back seat, he also said he was going to be doing more suspension work.

He spent maybe $12k and probably voided the warranty to make it a very competent track car, but a much less livable street car, that's not really the mission of the M240i xDrive, seems like it would be better to buy an M2.

The fact the M240i is NOT a great track car (as delivered) is EXACTLY what makes me love it for a daily driver!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #10
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Neither of those videos help the OP. There is no oil temp. This is like a which oil thread. Everyone has an opinion on how high of temps Synthetic oil can handle. So far what I have seen on my non-ZTK car they would get too high in one lap I think. I have had great luck with Setrab coolers on both my Adventure bikes and track/street cars. I've even solid mounted them(which I don't recommend) and not had a problem. I would also add an oil thermostat so the temps don't run too cold in the Winter.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #11
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Neither of those videos help the OP. There is no oil temp. This is like a which oil thread. Everyone has an opinion on how high of temps Synthetic oil can handle. So far what I have seen on my non-ZTK car they would get too high in one lap I think. I have had great luck with Setrab coolers on both my Adventure bikes and track/street cars. I've even solid mounted them(which I don't recommend) and not had a problem. I would also add an oil thermostat so the temps don't run too cold in the Winter.
Doesn't the Sport Display show oil temp? Also, something as simple as BimmerLink will show you temps for oil, water, trans, and EGT. And not that it matters, but I'm no fan of FI cars for the track...simply too inconsistent.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Doesn't the Sport Display show oil temp?
yes
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #13
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Yes, it does. I don't think I saw ECT but trans was there. That's how I know mine run too hot and I haven't done any hard Summer laps yet. Come Spring I'll do a few laps at Willow Springs on the small track. I use to work there. Can get a few in here and there but they won't let you run the big track without a roll bar.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #14
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep

Will the car get thrown into limp mode if it overheats or do you just have to watch temps?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:26 PM   #15
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca86108 View Post
Will the car get thrown into limp mode if it overheats or do you just have to watch temps?
I'd be shocked if it doesn't, but no personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #16
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca86108 View Post
I just did a Google search and saw a multitude of various BMW models that overheated and then went into Limp Mode, so I see no reason that wouldn't be programmed into the DNA of the G42.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #17
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Basically brake pads, lowering springs, stickier tires and a little weight reduction made it into a very competent track car...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:11 PM   #18
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Basically brake pads, lowering springs, stickier tires and a little weight reduction made it into a very competent track car...
We agree that he absolutely did make it into a competent track car, but there's really nothing basic about how he did it.

He put on $3,000 worth of wheels and tires, 2 Recaros and seat brackets, $4,000, functional CF wing, $2,000+, upgrade brakes and suspension, at least $3,000, that's $12,000 and he told Misha Charoudin, the race driver, that he's doing more suspension upgrades.

He also has a couple grand in damage to repair that trunk to remove the wing and now he has no rear seat.

So, by the time he's done, maybe $15k for a competent track car, but it's no longer the great street car it was when he started.

If he was racing a G87 M2 around the Nürburgring, he would be staring at its taillights until the M2 got so far ahead that he couldn't see the taillights anymore. And the real kicker is that that G87 would probably be a better street car than what he has built.

The other thing is, it's fast when Misha Charoudin is driving, but it's unlikely that the owner could drive it like that.

You can certainly do that, but why?

Instead of spending $50-$60k on an M240ix and another $15k to get it to that level, wouldn't you rather just buy the M2? It's nearly the same price as the modded M240ix, and that, I guess, is my point.
Appreciate 2
335i E92176.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #19
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We agree that he absolutely did make it into a competent track car, but there's really nothing basic about how he did it.

He put on $3,000 worth of wheels and tires, 2 Recaros and seat brackets, $4,000, functional CF wing, $2,000+, upgrade brakes and suspension, at least $3,000, that's $12,000 and he told Misha Charoudin, the race driver, that he's doing more suspension upgrades.

He also has a couple grand in damage to repair that trunk to remove the wing and now he has no rear seat.

So, by the time he's done, maybe $15k for a competent track car, but it's no longer the great street car it was when he started.

If he was racing a G87 M2 around the Nürburgring, he would be staring at its taillights until the M2 got so far ahead that he couldn't see the taillights anymore. And the real kicker is that that G87 would probably be a better street car than what he has built.

The other thing is, it's fast when Misha Charoudin is driving, but it's unlikely that the owner could drive it like that.

You can certainly do that, but why?

Instead of spending $50-$60k on an M240ix and another $15k to get it to that level, wouldn't you rather just buy the M2? It's nearly the same price as the modded M240ix, and that, I guess, is my point.
He changed the brake pads and is running h&r springs. How do you come up with $3000 for that? Lol…

The recaros and wing probably contribute minimally to the increased performance. I would save the money and pass on those.

He's also running an r-compound tire… something you would spend money on even for a G87. What makes you think a stock G87 on street tires will be much faster?

All that being said I agree I wouldn't drop $15k on an M240i to get it to that level. Yes, I would get an M2. BUT, it obviously doesn't cost $15k to make this car into a much more serious track tool and keep it very street friendly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 09:00 PM   #20
shonseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 240ix, gone: '14 Audi RS5

Garage List
2023 m240ix  [0.00]
I actually took it on the track (NJMP thunder) last weekend and had no issues with overheating. Full disclosure: temps were only 40-45 degrees and it was raining in the morning. It was my first real track day ever. I'm running completely stock with ZTK, ~2500 miles on the odometer. My longest stretch on the track was about 18 minutes, and that was when it was on the warmer side and dry. If anything, the stock PS4s got squirmy at the end of my longest session, which was dry and near the end of the day. The brakes were fine, but there was only 1 straight where I would hit ~130 mph before braking really hard. No problems with overheating there either, but again, it was cold out. I was able to keep up with a Dinan tuned M2 CS, and the only reason I can say it was Dinan tuned was because of all the Dinan badges everywhere. I didn't get to speak with the owner. Not looking to hear everyone's opinion about what they think is right/wrong or what they would have done different. Just sharing my experience.
Here's the G-meter pic I took, but I'm not sure how accurate the stock meter is:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-15-2023, 09:13 PM   #21
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep

Wow! Great. I’m glad your car did well at the track. Does anyone have experience without the ztk package? I have two m3’s that I can track but every car I buy, I want to track it at least 3 times a year. So I try to find parts to make it at least decent on the track.

What are options for track pads? Only options I see are Endless or EBC but they pads only fit the ZTK caliper not the standard that I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 09:47 PM   #22
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
He's also running an r-compound tire… something you would spend money on even for a G87. What makes you think a stock G87 on street tires will be much faster?
Sure, if you equipped it with the run flats or all-season tires, it may not even keep up, but why would the M2 be running stock street tires since it's available with track tires from the factory?

Outside of the tires, the base M2 with factory track tires would likely leave the Conrad's modded M240i far behind for the following reasons.

1) M2 factory track tire option
2) 453 HP / 406 TQ vs 382 HP / 369 TQ (if the 240i is underrated, so is the M2, they all are)
3) M package speed limiter 177 vs 155
4) More aggressive, track oriented gear ratios and final drive
5) Track-spec cooling and oil supply systems with two-chamber sump and 2 suction pick-up

Since this is all hypothetical, providing that Conrad's modded M240i and the G87 M2 have the 12.9 mile Nürburgring to themselves and are both lapped by the same driver, it's difficult to imagine that the lap times would be within 30 seconds of each other.

I also found a video of Conrad driving his car and he's no slouch, looks like he is getting his money's worth on his investment in the mods.

Appreciate 0