BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-17-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

240i Ordered in Nashville

Hey everyone, so a week ago I put down the (non-refundable) $2500 on an M240i xDrive. I went with a Thundernight/Cerium Grey look as I think the contrast is better as the purple is pretty dark in some conditions. IMHO Shadowline looks best with lighter/brighter colors (grey, red, blue) as the black contrast looks great.

Anyhoo, looks like it's going to be built as a '24... wonder what the differences will be? They better not delete the color. Perhaps they'll reinstate the trunk 12v?

So the sales rep texted this:

"Your slot is in though and we will be notified as soon as the 2024s can get built"

Anyone have any idea what this random sentence could mean, and what timeframe this could mean? They mentioned six months plus. Ugh.

Thundernight Metallic
19” M Double Spoke Cerium Grey/Performance NRF
No Shadowline Package
Oyster Leather
Aluminum Rohmbicle Anthracite
Parking Assistance Pack
Premium Pack
Active Cruise Control
Drive Recorder
Lumbar Support
Illuminated M Trim
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon

Anyway, great to finally have something to contribute—I've been lurking for ages!
Appreciate 1
jpf3409.00
      03-17-2023, 08:31 AM   #2
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Nice spec. I would be surprised if they get rid of an exclusive color for the ‘24 M240. It will be worth the wait. Trust me. Sit back and enjoy the next several months.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

New model cars in the US generally start in the August/September timeframe. So that's why yours would be a 2024 model.

Based on what your sales rep said, I would assume you're either behind a few people in allocation or your dealer is out of allocations until BMW releases 2024 model allocation.

I'd ask some questions because if 2024's start in August and that's when your order hits production, I wouldn't expect the car until late October.

Also, as the previous poster said, Thundernight is specific to the 240i, it's not going anywhere.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Angel Tears
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggah View Post
Also, as the previous poster said, Thundernight is specific to the 240i, it's not going anywhere.
The 230i also has it though not the m2 for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

$2500 non-refundable without an allocation (allegedly) is insane. I personally would walk away from that and look for another dealership that has a refundable deposit. but since you already committed it might be too late...
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2023, 12:49 PM   #6
Stanim
Private
Rep
Drives: Model 3 P; Q50 hybrid; M240i

I honestly think that non-refundable deposit might be illegal (maybe depends on state). I am still waiting for my 23 M240i built in December 2022 due to stop sale..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
New model cars in the US generally start in the August/September timeframe. So that's why yours would be a 2024 model.

Based on what your sales rep said, I would assume you're either behind a few people in allocation or your dealer is out of allocations until BMW releases 2024 model allocation.

I'd ask some questions because if 2024's start in August and that's when your order hits production, I wouldn't expect the car until late October.

FYI, TNM is now available on the G29 Z4 M40i LCI.
Appreciate 2
G42UPRA245.00
PP3121360.50
      03-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #8
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
$2500 non-refundable without an allocation (allegedly) is insane. I personally would walk away from that and look for another dealership that has a refundable deposit. but since you already committed it might be too late...
That's what I had to put down on mine as well. Not illegal in my state and 2 people were ahead of me for allocations.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 08:06 PM   #9
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Agree. Seems pretty unlikely they’ve released allocations for 2024 builds yet, and without an allocation whatever estimate this guy gave might as well be written on toilet paper.

Sounds like the kind of dealer that’s looking for suckers and is going to force you to buy $1000 of nitrogen filled bumper protector garbage when your car finally gets built a year from now.

I would not give any dealer a dime without an allocation and a production number in hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 09:07 PM   #10
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
FYI, TNM is now available on the G29 Z4 M40i LCI.
And it looks sweet!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #11
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanim View Post
I honestly think that non-refundable deposit might be illegal (maybe depends on state). I am still waiting for my 23 M240i built in December 2022 due to stop sale..

Yeah, its different in different States.

What is the stop sale for? The M2 had it due to the rear seat airbag covers but that has been lifted.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #12
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

If the demand is high, the deposit for the M240 not necessarily unheard of. Almost all dealerships are doing it for the M2, from $1,000 to $5,000 and were doing it well before an allocation was even in someone's dream.

If he got an allocation now, it would probably be a MY23.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #13
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The allocation would depend on how many the dealership gets per month (they may not even get one every month) and how many people there are in line ahead. BMW stops production for the month of August while theybswitch model years. If he gets an allocation betqeen now thru May, should be a MY23 but June or later, almost definitely a MY24.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 06:32 AM   #14
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
If the demand is high, the deposit for the M240 not necessarily unheard of. Almost all dealerships are doing it for the M2, from $1,000 to $5,000 and were doing it well before an allocation was even in someone's dream.

If he got an allocation now, it would probably be a MY23.
Non refundable deposit is some protection to keep people from ordering cars at more than one dealer then when the first car shows up backing out of cars that arrive at other dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 06:42 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
Hey everyone, so a week ago I put down the (non-refundable) $2500 on an M240i xDrive. I went with a Thundernight/Cerium Grey look as I think the contrast is better as the purple is pretty dark in some conditions. IMHO Shadowline looks best with lighter/brighter colors (grey, red, blue) as the black contrast looks great.

Anyhoo, looks like it's going to be built as a '24... wonder what the differences will be? They better not delete the color. Perhaps they'll reinstate the trunk 12v?

So the sales rep texted this:

"Your slot is in though and we will be notified as soon as the 2024s can get built"

Anyone have any idea what this random sentence could mean, and what timeframe this could mean? They mentioned six months plus. Ugh.

Thundernight Metallic
19” M Double Spoke Cerium Grey/Performance NRF
No Shadowline Package
Oyster Leather
Aluminum Rohmbicle Anthracite
Parking Assistance Pack
Premium Pack
Active Cruise Control
Drive Recorder
Lumbar Support
Illuminated M Trim
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon

Anyway, great to finally have something to contribute—I've been lurking for ages!
Nice color and nice spec!

Don't want to kill your buzz but what the salesman said is what is said when the salesman has no idea of when the car will arrive at the dealership.

I've looked into a M240i and an M2. I was told I could expect the car anywhere from months -- like later this year -- to next year to 1 to 2 years from now.

A few salesman I spoke to in depth told me their dealer has no allocation but with a firm order -- deposit (and I was told *non-refundable*) -- might be granted an allocation and the car built. Might.

Dealers really don't know.

But don't despair. Just enjoy the process. And I hope the car arrives sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #16
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Non refundable deposit is some protection to keep people from ordering cars at more than one dealer then when the first car shows up backing out of cars that arrive at other dealers.
If they have an allocation, fine, I guess. Since you get to make firm decisions about the production of that vehicle. Although my dealer didn't even make me do that. Probably because they knew they'd have zero problems selling it if I backed out.

But to ask people to put down actual non-refundable money on a hypothetical car that maybe at some point in the future you might get if they get an allocation is ridiculous and I wouldn't do it. Just call around and find a higher-volume dealer that's actually able to order your car.
Appreciate 1
heelsmj352.50
      03-19-2023, 04:16 PM   #17
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
But to ask people to put down actual non-refundable money on a hypothetical car that maybe at some point in the future you might get if they get an allocation is ridiculous and I wouldn't do it. Just call around and find a higher-volume dealer that's actually able to order your car.
It's not a one-way non refundable deposit. If the dealer can't come through with the car then you'd get the money back.

You're acting like the dealer is just going to steal the deposit and never deliver a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 05:00 PM   #18
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not a one-way non refundable deposit. If the dealer can't come through with the car then you'd get the money back.

You're acting like the dealer is just going to steal the deposit and never deliver a car.
I’m acting like the dealer will string you along for months and months on end when those allocations they swore they were getting don’t come through - which they absolutely can and will do. All they have to do is deliver a car “eventually”.
Appreciate 1
heelsmj352.50
      03-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #19
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
I’m acting like the dealer will string you along for months and months on end when those allocations they swore they were getting don’t come through - which they absolutely can and will do. All they have to do is deliver a car “eventually”.
That would require the dealer be a pretty shady dealer. Always a possibility, sure.

But what I gather is just mention you've talked to the local consumer fraud division agency in the area and are there to get your deposit back to avoid proceeding further and the dealer will cough up the deposit pronto.

The word is a truly shady dealer can't stand any scrutiny into its "business" and wants to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 01:39 PM   #20
Stanim
Private
Rep
Drives: Model 3 P; Q50 hybrid; M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Yeah, its different in different States.

What is the stop sale for? The M2 had it due to the rear seat airbag covers but that has been lifted.
Yeah, it's the same rear side air bag recall. The vehicle has been sitting at VPC for over a month without estimated time for fix, while the dealership I ordered from had a fix but they would not ship it to the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #21
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

So the latest message from my dealer

DEALER
Good morning, we have a slot open for a RWD, M240. I know your build was the XDrive. Would you want to switch ?

ME
No thanks, I want to keep it as xDrive. Any news when I may get a slot? How come you managed to get a slot on a RWD?

DEALER
We can’t control what BMW allows us unfortunately. We only have the one RWD slot now for this allocation. We will need to see on the next allocation if we will get a AWD. Every new car dealership works like this sadly

This sound about right? Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:34 PM   #22
notso
Rep
Drives: Yep, no longer walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
So the latest message from my dealer

DEALER
Good morning, we have a slot open for a RWD, M240. I know your build was the XDrive. Would you want to switch ?

ME
No thanks, I want to keep it as xDrive. Any news when I may get a slot? How come you managed to get a slot on a RWD?

DEALER
We can’t control what BMW allows us unfortunately. We only have the one RWD slot now for this allocation. We will need to see on the next allocation if we will get a AWD. Every new car dealership works like this sadly

This sound about right? Thanks everyone.
I was incorrect, this month doesn't look as there is any flipping to x drive. But, I don't have a M240 to try it with. Generally it can be flex'd to a X drive.

Last edited by notso; 03-28-2023 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 1