bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-27-2023, 09:45 PM   #1
Zemzam
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i '22

xHP has disabled my 2022 M240i

EDIT: This issue has been resolved. It turns out that the xHP Flashtool adapter that I received was defective, leading to dropped connections in the middle of the flash which disabled my car for a day. I was able to resolve without any intervention by the dealership with assistance from this thread as well as direct assistance from xHP Customer Support. If you wish to use xHP on a G-series BMW, I would recommend getting the MHD Uni Wifi Adapter instead of the blue official xHP Flashtool Adapter.

Good evening. I'll get right to it:
  1. Purchased xHP license and map combo for my car 2022 G42
  2. Purchased official xHP Flashtool adapter (blue one) from ECS Tuning
  3. Got in the car, got the app installed and the Flashtool into the OBD
  4. Phone into airplane mode, wifi connected to adapter, car off but ignition on. All doors closed. Seatbelt on. Lights and AC off.
  5. Attempted to flash Stage 2
  6. Flash fails on the second section of the flash.
  7. Car now indicates Drivetrain Malfunction and will not start at all. Completely immobilized.

I tried for the next four hours to resolve the issue or even uninstall xHP. Each time it fails. I tried multiple Android phones. I tried configuring the static IP address, gateway, and subnet settings per the Troubleshooting guide. I even tried using a Windows 10 laptop.

In all cases, I am able to connect and start flashing, but the flash will fail. Sometimes at 3%, sometimes at 85%. Same with uninstall.

Car is immobilized. Sent support ticket to RBT (the creators of xHP) and included the logs from both my android and windows 10 attempts.

Any thoughts? Greatly appreciate any assistance.

Last edited by Zemzam; 03-31-2023 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 10:17 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I used the MHD adapter and it required me to update the firmware on the adapter; does the ECS Tuning adapter support firmware updates? either way, I highly doubt the xHP app will start overwriting files without making sure everything is in line so that is a bit weird. hopefully you're able to get this resolved quickly
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 10:28 PM   #3
Zemzam
Rep

I am not aware that I can update the firmware to the xHP Flashtool. It might be the case. Ill check it out.

Oddly enough, I am not a stranger to xHP. I had it on my 2017 M240i. I loved it. But it is NOT playing nicely with my G42.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:55 AM   #4
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

No idea about the tool you are using, but when using BimmerCode, the car needs to be in Diagnostic mode (3 quick presses of the Start/Stop button), we’re you in this mode?
      03-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #5
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
No idea about the tool you are using, but when using BimmerCode, the car needs to be in Diagnostic mode (3 quick presses of the Start/Stop button), we’re you in this mode?
No worries. Yes I was In diagnostic mode.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 04:55 AM   #6
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
I used the MHD adapter and it required me to update the firmware on the adapter; does the ECS Tuning adapter support firmware updates? either way, I highly doubt the xHP app will start overwriting files without making sure everything is in line so that is a bit weird. hopefully you're able to get this resolved quickly
It’s not an ECS Tuning adapter. He purchased the official XHP adapter FROM ecs tuning.

There are no firmware updates for the xhp adapter.

My xhp flash using my iPhone failed the first time at 13% on the second stage. I just started the flash process again and it was successful.

Do you have your battery hooked up to a charger? I know that the flash is pretty quick but maybe your battery is dipping a bit low and thus failing the flash. Whenever I flash xhp the initial time I always use a battery charger to be safe. Future flashes don’t need it as it takes less than a minute.

Make sure lights, ac/heat, heated seats, all of that stuff is off as well.
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-28-2023, 06:48 AM   #7
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Do you have your battery hooked up to a charger? I know that the flash is pretty quick but maybe your battery is dipping a bit low and thus failing the flash. Whenever I flash xhp the initial time I always use a battery charger to be safe. Future flashes don’t need it as it takes less than a minute.

Make sure lights, ac/heat, heated seats, all of that stuff is off as well.
I had it connected to my other car while it was running in jump configuration just because they were parked next to each other. I have a charger, but it is somewhere in the basement and I need to dig it out. This is what I will be doing tonight. I appreciate the suggestion.

And yes, lights, AC/heat, heated seats all turned off. I even dimmed the dash lights. lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 08:01 AM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I have nothing useful to offer, but am looking forward to the fix. I do remember having issues finding the right combination of settings (wifi, airplane mode, etc.) to establish the original connection with the iPhone, but once connected all went well.
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #9
Zemzam
Rep

I received a response from xHP, which is nice. I have included - for this forum - my answers in red. That way perhaps this thread can help someone else in the future:

Quote:
Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting us!

I have looked at your log, and it seems there is an issue with your configuration:
  • Please do not pre-configure the IP address. This is only meant for iOS devices. Best to reset the Wifi configurations altogether. Changes to the IP settings were only done after multiple failures, but I will attempt this tonight
  • Take all the precautions from the following page of our Knowledge Base, including putting the device in Flight mode (Except for Wi-Fi when using THOR or MHD adapters) and ensuring Bluetooth and Cellular are OFF. This was done
  • When using the Wi-Fi Adapters and you are still having trouble, please make sure your device ignores all other Wi-Fi sources, so it does not change Wi-Fi mid-flash. Also, all other devices do not connect to the THOR/MHD Wi-Fi, so they do not interfere. Please check the corresponding Wi-Fi settings. No other devices were trying to connect, as I disabled all except the one I was attempting. As for ignoring other wifi signals entirely, I am not sure that Android 13 allows this. However I have manually forgotten all other networks within range and disabled autoconnect.
  • Are there any of the following items installed?
    • Any piggyback ECU, like JB4, for example Yes, but the JB4 was removed for this Flash.
    • Throttle pedal tuning boxes No.
    • Aftermarket CarPlay Units No.
    • Android Radios No.
    • any performance displays (like Awron) No.
    • sport-exhaust with sound control installed in the car No.
    • aftermarket HUD (head-up displays) No.
    • CAN Anti Theft security systems, like the "Ghost Immobiliser" No.
    • anything else aftermarket connected to the CAN-Bus (like mileage manipulation devices). These are connected to the CAN and can mess up the communication to a point where flashing the car is impossible. Please make sure they are in their dedicated service mode for flashing. If they do not have such a mode, or should it still not work, please unplug them or pull their fuse for the duration of the flash.No.
  • Should the above not help you, please click "Send Logs" in the left side menu again and let us know when you have sent them.

Keep us updated on your progress,

Best regards,
--
Christoph Wallnoefer
Product Genius xHP & xDelete
SO! We will try some of the ideas here and from xHP tonight and see how things go. I am somewhat skeptical that the IP settings are the culprit, as I used NO custom IP settings for the Windows 10 Flash attempts and those also failed. Nevertheless, I will give it a shot tonight.

I'll update as I get more info and hopefully get this resolved soon. Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Every little bit helps.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-28-2023, 10:18 AM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemzam View Post
I received a response from xHP, which is nice. I have included - for this forum - my answers in red. That way perhaps this thread can help someone else in the future:

SO! We will try some of the ideas here and from xHP tonight and see how things go. I am somewhat skeptical that the IP settings are the culprit, as I used NO custom IP settings for the Windows 10 Flash attempts and those also failed. Nevertheless, I will give it a shot tonight.

I'll update as I get more info and hopefully get this resolved soon. Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Every little bit helps.
Just a random brain-fart, but do you know anyone with an iPhone that you can borrow and try again?
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-28-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Just a random brain-fart, but do you know anyone with an iPhone that you can borrow and try again?
......actually I do. That's a good idea.

Don't get me wrong....IT WILL BE INFURIATING IF IT WORKS.....but a very good idea. lol. I'll try that as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
......actually I do. That's a good idea.

Don't get me wrong....IT WILL BE INFURIATING IF IT WORKS.....but a very good idea. lol. I'll try that as well.
I didn't want to kick you while you were down, but I was thinking to myself when I wrote it, "I'm going to crack-up if it works!"
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #13
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

Sorry if Im late to the party, is this a flash tune? I thought mid 2020 BMW chsnged ECU to Bosch which are encrypted and can only unlock by sending to Finland
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:11 PM   #14
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryboz View Post
Sorry if Im late to the party, is this a flash tune? I thought mid 2020 BMW chsnged ECU to Bosch which are encrypted and can only unlock by sending to Finland
Hi there! No worries. You are right about what you said...BUT....

...the transmission is controlled by a separate unit (same interface OBD) than the ECU. The TCU can still be flashed. That is what I am trying to do. xHP transformed my previous car, and it IS certified for this car. However at present I am experiencing technical difficulties
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 07:22 AM   #15
Zemzam
Rep

Last night here are the steps that were taken:
  • Completely removed the JB4 (previously it had been disconnected but the EWG connector was still on because its a pain to get to and I knew I wasnt starting the car anyway). There are NO OTHER AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES INSTALLED. No pedal tunes, no gauges, no sport exhaust with/without sound controller, not even a dashcam.
    • The car is completely stock other than a Dinan Intake and an AA Downpipe.
  • Wiped the two Android Devices of all saved Wifi data from all networks.
  • Connected AC power charger to battery of car.
    • Charger indicated battery full, but I left it on charge for 10 minutes anyway
  • Got into the car with the key.
  • Engine was off, ignition on.
  • Seatbelt on and clicked
  • All doors closed
  • All lights off
  • All AC/heat off
  • All Accessories off
  • Gearbox is in P position
  • All flashing devices (phone & Windows 10 Laptop) are at 80%+ charge.
  • Phone is in Airplane Mode
  • Bluetooth is OFF
  • Reestablished connection on the Android 13 device to the xHP Flashtool using the default network settings.
  • Attempted to flash/uninstall with Android 13 device
    • Failed each time.
  • Connected with Windows 10 Laptop, this time through a brand new WiFi adapter than I went out and purchased due to the built in adapter failing the day before.
    • The model of this Wifi adapter is TP-Link TL-WN823N. It is a USB b/g/n adapter.
  • Connected to the xHP Flashtool with the Windows 10 laptop using this new adapter.
    • The built-in adapter was disabled entirely.
    • All WiFi data from the laptop was wiped.
  • At this point I just wanted to uninstall the software completely and see if I could get my car back
    • Failed at 55% first try
    • Failed at 39% second try
    • Successfully uninstalled xHP completely on the third try.
    • I have videos of all three attempts

I have tried two completely different Android devices that are otherwise in perfect order:
• Google Pixel 6 with all updates installed (Android 13)
• Oneplus Nord N10 5G (Android 12)

@XC3LLR8: Because the Windows 10 Laptop succeeded in uninstalling - and thereby un-disabling my car - on the third try, I did not want to press my luck and try applying the tune with an iOS device yet. I will wait for the weekend to try that when I have more time to fix it if it also fails.

I have tried with two different Wireless adapters using Windows 10
• Laptop:
  • Dell G5 5500 (build date approx. May 2020)
  • Intel Core i7-10750H
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 1TB SSD
• Windows Build Specifics:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Version 21H1 / OS Build 19043.1889
• Wireless Adapter (built-in)
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter
• Wireless Adapter (USB)
  • TP Link Mini Wireless N USB Adapter model TL-WN823N
  • This is the adapter that was finally able to uninstall the xHP software successfully after three tries.

With all those different hardware configurations, I was only able to successfully re-enable my vehicle after three tries with the Windows 10 PC. So, I have my car back, but do not yet have a successful tune. At this point I believe the issue may be one or two things:

Possibility #1: Android 12 & 13 do not like staying connected to WiFi devices with no internet connection while in Airplane mode.

And/Or

Possibility #2: The xHP Flashtool that I purchased may be defective

Those are the only two options that seem to explain how it can fail so consistently across multiple platforms. However, I could be completely wrong.

I need to use the car for the next few days, but I will try again to apply the tune this weekend when I have more time to try repeatedly without interruption. As a precaution, I have ordered the MHD UNI Wi-Fi Adapter as a backup. It arrives tomorrow. If the xHP Flashtool really is defective, I want a separate device to confirm.

Sorry for the VERY long response. Someday this might help someone else with the same issue, so I am trying to document.
Appreciate 3
PNTDG42469.00
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-29-2023, 07:27 AM   #16
Zemzam
Rep

FAST reply from xHP this morning:

Quote:
Christoph Wallnoefer (RBT TUNING GMBH)
Mar 29, 2023, 14:01 GMT+2
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the detailed write-up. You might be onto something that this WiFi adapter does create problems.

As soon as you receive the MHD UNI adapter, please update the firmware, as some still require a more recent firmware version.

Here is a short guide on how you can update the MHD UNI adapter:
https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...HD-UNI-Adapter

I will keep this ticket open until everything works as it should,

Best Regards,
--
Christoph Wallnoefer
Product Genius xHP & xDelete
RBT TUNING GMBH – Home of xHP Flashtool & xDelete
www.xhpflashtool.com
www.facebook.com/xhpflashtool
www.youtube.com/c/xhpflashtool
www.facebook.com/bimmerXdelete
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
Mike_H_264.50
      03-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #17
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

I'm betting a White Castle (I drove through KY recently ) if you try it again with an iPhone it will work.
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-29-2023, 11:47 AM   #18
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
I'm betting a White Castle (I drove through KY recently ) if you try it again with an iPhone it will work.
Bet. I'll try this weekend when I have more time to mess with it. lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:14 PM   #19
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Bet. I'll try this weekend when I have more time to mess with it. lol.
Was considering xHD, having serious second thoughts now.
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-29-2023, 12:54 PM   #20
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
We wouldn't have a space program, or literally any program, if every little glitch scared everyone off.

The product is great, so great in fact he's still willing to try it again simply because of how much he liked it in his previous car. If you're still hesitant just wait until he posts the fix, as the issues he experienced are very few and far between.
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50
      03-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #21
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
We wouldn't have a space program, or literally any program, if every little glitch scared everyone off.

The product is great, so great in fact he's still willing to try it again simply because of how much he liked it in his previous car. If you're still hesitant just wait until he posts the fix, as the issues he experienced are very few and far between.
What XC3LLR8 wrote is accurate. I believe xHP is perfectly safe as a software, I am just having issues with using it in my very specific application. I am working with xHP support (which has been VERY responsive) to fix the problem. Aggravating? Yes. But not world-ending.

I legitimately have no doubt that I will discover the solution. Even after things went about as bad as they could, I was up and running again within a day.

All tuning and performance modification carries a degree of risk, but as far as risks go xHP is fairly mild and the return you get in terms of driving enjoyment is well worth it in my opinion.

So I understand your apprehension. If you have a G42 generation of the M240ix and want to wait until I can provide more info this weekend, I totally understand. I just want to clarify that I am fully committed to installing the tune, I just need to figure out my connection issues. Previous F-chassis cars could use an eNet cable whereas at present the G series seem to prefer a wireless connection. There are countless individuals that have not had my issues, so I am certain this is just an extremely rare case.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #22
alexpereap
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i G42 xdrive

I think your problem is directly related to the XHP wifi adapter, this adapter is a rebranded version of the MHD wifi orange adapter, which always had big connectivity issues, if there are wifi networks around your area that will be enough for the connection between the flash device and the adapter to drop, resulting in failed flashes. I highly recommend you purchase the MHD universal adapter (red color) and give it a try. I myself have flashed XHP with no issues on my G42 using that adapter, and have had 0 connectivity issues with it even with tons of wifi networks around. Just make sure to update the firmware of the adapter before trying to flash (download the MHD app for F+G series on your phone, plug in the adapter to your car's OBD2 port, connect to the adapter from your cellphone, open the app and read fault codes, the app will automatically update the firmware to the latest version).
Appreciate 1
Zemzam41.50