E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > rod knock? please help n54

04-12-2023, 04:52 AM   #1
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i xdrive e90

rod knock? please help n54

https://youtu.be/urld1enSH-4
Is this a rodknock sound, comes from under the car. Car drives fine nothing bad with it, its a xdrive. Asked ”bmwfanatic” he Said it was nothing that sounds bad. But Iam a scared man. Please help
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 01:44 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Remove the oil filter cap and inspect the oil filter.
Normally I lean towards bad lifter tick, that sounds a bit louder than lifter tick though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 01:05 PM   #3
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Changed the oil nothing in the oil? Just basic dark oil. Lifters might be the case
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Remove the oil filter cap and inspect the oil filter.
Normally I lean towards bad lifter tick, that sounds a bit louder than lifter tick though.
https://youtube.com/shorts/J4QSUVRD3Rw?feature=share
Here is a better video
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The noise above the intake manifold sounds normal.
When you go to the exhaust side, it sounds kind of bad.

Possibly injector noise, but I’m not so sure.

Does the noise quiet down after the car is warmed up and driven?

You can try an engine oil flush additive, ha he the oil and add oil treatment with the new oil.
That seems to keep my engines quiet.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:01 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Tough to say the first video doesn't sound nice. Second video sounds normal but like Serf says left side seems a bit to knocky. If you rev the car does it increase? Also, I would try to remove the belt and run the car to see if noise still present just as a basic troublehsooting step. You never know...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:08 PM   #7
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Tough to say the first video doesn't sound nice. Second video sounds normal but like Serf says left side seems a bit to knocky. If you rev the car does it increase? Also, I would try to remove the belt and run the car to see if noise still present just as a basic troublehsooting step. You never know...
Yes it increase with the revs..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #8
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
The noise above the intake manifold sounds normal.
When you go to the exhaust side, it sounds kind of bad.

Possibly injector noise, but I’m not so sure.

Does the noise quiet down after the car is warmed up and driven?

You can try an engine oil flush additive, ha he the oil and add oil treatment with the new oil.
That seems to keep my engines quiet.
It comes when the engines been on 4 like 1 minute
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannesbrodin View Post
Yes it increase with the revs..
I would try without the belt then. Also rev up to 3k rpm and let go and if you have a video of that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #10
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would try without the belt then. Also rev up to 3k rpm and let go and if you have a video of that.
I can get a video tomorrow. Thank You for Helping me. I can add it sounds normal when started then when it gets warm and lower the rpms it start ticking.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:47 PM   #11
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Trying without the belt? Means? Just taking belt of and start it to see if it ”ticks” and What belt is it? Hard work to get to it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:53 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Trying without the belt? Means? Just taking belt of and start it to see if it ”ticks” and What belt is it? Hard work to get to it?
Yes exactly. Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noise remains when the engine is running. Sometimes a knocking type noise can be due to a bad accessory, I think on the forums the most common is the AC compressor. Taking off the belt is just a easy thing IMO to do to rule that out for sure. I'm an IT guy so that's the way I see things and troubleshoot lol.

For the difficulty, I mean hard work is subjective you know... I'd recommend you watch DIYs and should give you an idea. To me taking of the belt is pretty easy but if you never work on your car or don't have the tools might not be.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:54 PM   #13
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Also found this Therese w the same sound as mine.
But his goes away. The video linked in the post is super alike my sound. N54 was a bad choice for a person that have driven a bad 20tdi Audi before and all noice was bad noice
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #14
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes exactly. Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noise remains when the engine is running. Sometimes a knocking type noise can be due to a bad accessory, I think on the forums the most common is the AC compressor. Taking off the belt is just a easy thing IMO to do to rule that out for sure. I'm an IT guy so that's the way I see things and troubleshoot lol.

For the difficulty, I mean hard work is subjective you know... I'd recommend you watch DIYs and should give you an idea. To me taking of the belt is pretty easy but if you never work on your car or don't have the tools might not be.
Yes. I been watching the ”50’s kid” on youtube w my father since i was a teen. Learing alot just by videos and this forum. I got alot of mechanic friends but they are most 4hours away or is not Bmw guys. I Will try my best tomorrow. But the AC would it be normal to increase the ticking when reving? Sorry if i missunderstod u Iam from Sweden so english isnt my first language
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 02:09 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I been watching the ”50’s kid” on youtube w my father since i was a teen. Learing alot just by videos and this forum. I got alot of mechanic friends but they are most 4hours away or is not Bmw guys. I Will try my best tomorrow. But the AC would it be normal to increase the ticking when reving? Sorry if i missunderstod u Iam from Sweden so english isnt my first language
Haha yes I actually started with his videos to when I got my E46 a few years ago and a mix of ChrisFix. I do all the work I can do myself on my car today. I do have the BMW workshop manuals though so that helps a lot as a basic guide for jobs that aren't covered on DIY forums or videos.

Yes I'm pretty sure the ticking would be higher if it's an accessory because the belt spins faster as you rev the car. But do understand based on your noise and symtpoms it most likely seem to be coming from the engine, and I believe with rod knock, it usually gets worse as the engine warms up. But like I said, worth a try you never know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 02:21 PM   #16
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Haha yes I actually started with his videos to when I got my E46 a few years ago and a mix of ChrisFix. I do all the work I can do myself on my car today. I do have the BMW workshop manuals though so that helps a lot as a basic guide for jobs that aren't covered on DIY forums or videos.

Yes I'm pretty sure the ticking would be higher if it's an accessory because the belt spins faster as you rev the car. But do understand based on your noise and symtpoms it most likely seem to be coming from the engine, and I believe with rod knock, it usually gets worse as the engine warms up. But like I said, worth a try you never know.
Yes thanks mate ill get back to You tomorrow after i try all this stuff out. Ill even check if the spark plugs in Lose. Iam getting stetoskop to try to pin point the sound somehow
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 02:33 PM   #17
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:

Ye but it dosnt get worse just stays the same when i get warm. I hope it isnt that shit lmao ill be so sad
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 03:52 PM   #18
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

My car had the ticking lifter issue (before I got the head replaced under warranty years ago), and it sounded a bit like this, except it wasn't quite that loud.

What I will say is that since the sound very clearly sounds different when the OP moves the microphone from the intake (normal-sounding) to the head (loud-ticking), I'm going to guess that the issue is something in the head. That could run the gamut from lifters to timing chain. It's really not going to be diagnosed without taking off the valve cover.

But since the OP doesn't really seem to have tools or be inclined to take his car apart (good idea if he doesn't have tools or experience...), he should probably get the car to someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, we could all sit around and play guessing games indefinitely.

OP, do you have a mechanic?
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      04-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #19
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
My car had the ticking lifter issue (before I got the head replaced under warranty years ago), and it sounded a bit like this, except it wasn't quite that loud.

What I will say is that since the sound very clearly sounds different when the OP moves the microphone from the intake (normal-sounding) to the head (loud-ticking), I'm going to guess that the issue is something in the head. That could run the gamut from lifters to timing chain. It's really not going to be diagnosed without taking off the valve cover.

But since the OP doesn't really seem to have tools or be inclined to take his car apart (good idea if he doesn't have tools or experience...), he should probably get the car to someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, we could all sit around and play guessing games indefinitely.

OP, do you have a mechanic?
Sure have a mechanic, here in Sweden they take around 2-3k for swaping the lifters if that would be the issue. U think getting a stethoscope would make it easier for me to pinpoint the issue? I could otherwise call Bmw here and let them take a look at it and then I have to pay problably 300$ for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 05:11 PM   #20
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Sure have a mechanic, here in Sweden they take around 2-3k for swaping the lifters if that would be the issue. U think getting a stethoscope would make it easier for me to pinpoint the issue? I could otherwise call Bmw here and let them take a look at it and then I have to pay problably 300$ for that.
I personally don't think that a stethoscope will help. The noise is coming from something around the head. The stethoscope will just allow you to hear that more clearly, but it obviously won't tell you what is making the noise.

If you aren't confident in doing the work yourself, you really need to take the car to a trusted (by you) independent mechanic.

Taking it to BMW (at least here in the US) would be a waste of time and money since you would not likely be willing to have them perform the service that they recommend after charging you $300 for diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 05:44 PM   #21
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
I personally don't think that a stethoscope will help. The noise is coming from something around the head. The stethoscope will just allow you to hear that more clearly, but it obviously won't tell you what is making the noise.

If you aren't confident in doing the work yourself, you really need to take the car to a trusted (by you) independent mechanic.

Taking it to BMW (at least here in the US) would be a waste of time and money since you would not likely be willing to have them perform the service that they recommend after charging you $300 for diagnosis.
Ye ill call around and try to find someone that can find the issue. After trying the suggestions thanks for all help. Ill be back with updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 06:16 AM   #22
Hannesbrodin
Private
Rep

Quote:

https://youtu.be/tDMBa14XrNQ
Here u guys go. A video where I start the car and it dosnt sound ”bad” then after it goes down in rpm it comes ”on” and i also rev it to 3k rpm for the person that wanted to hear it.
Appreciate 0