E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 e92 335i no crank

04-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Orien
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92

2007 e92 335i no crank

So I bought a 07 335i about a month ago and the radiator fan went out. I replaced the fan and let the car get up to temp idiling until the fan turned on. Once the fan turned on I shut the car off and went to turn it back on. When I hit the start button it wouldn’t turn over. Everything else works just the starter won’t engage. I pulled the starter and checked it and it still works.
I have codes
2A17: DME: DMTL, system fault
2E7C: BSD bus Communictaon Fault
2E84: BSD, message; electric coolant pump: missing
2E84: BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): missing
I’ve tried the simple like unplugging the coolant pump and etc to see if those were the reason for code and that didn’t work. Battery is charged and tested and good. Like I said the starter is good. Only possible thing I can think is DME went, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orien View Post
... 07 335i [Need build Mo/Yr & Last-7 Characters of VIN, due to MANY changes to Electrical System 3/1/2007.] ... the radiator fan went out. I replaced the fan and let the car get up to temp idiling until the fan turned on. Once the fan turned on I shut the car off and went to turn it back on. When I hit the start button it wouldn’t turn over. Everything else works just the starter won’t engage. [Maybe NOT -- see below] I pulled the starter and checked it and it still works. I have codes: 2A17: DME: DMTL, system fault; 2E7C: BSD bus Communictaon Fault; 2E84: BSD, message; electric coolant pump: missing; 2E84: BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): missing [You listed '2E84' TWICE. 2nd Fault definition is for code OTHER than 2E84. What is 4th Fault Code?]... Only possible thing I can think is DME went, any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum!
The DME has NOTHING to do with Activation of Starter Solenoid. The CAS Module, specifically Terminal 50 (KL50) sends a voltage signal to the Starter Solenoid to Crank the Starter. CAS will ONLY activate KL50 and crank starter IF:
1) P/N switch signal received by CAS indicates either Park/Neutral Gear (AT);
2) Brake Light Switch Signal received by CAS;
3) Clutch Depressed signal from Clutch Switch (MT) received by CAS;

Those "Safety Switch" signals can be read as Live Data if you have a Scan Tool that can connect to CAS Module, or if you have INPA/ISTA Diagnostic Software. If you don't have either, you can at least do these Tests:
1) Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment: does Radio play? Do Brake Lights light when brake pedal is pressed? You could still have bad wiring between Brake Light Switch and CAS, but at least you can see if Switch works.
2) If AT, insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment, turn on Ignition by pressing START button WITHOUT pressing brake and see if instrument cluster lights and Climate Control Panel lights. If BOTH light up, then CAS is activating KL15 and KL30G relays as it should.
3) Check to see what Gear Selection is displayed in lower display of Instrument Cluster. It SHOULD be "P" if Shift Lever is in Park Position. Now press Brake and move Shift Lever to R, N & D Positions. Is EACH gear selected displayed on Lower Instrument Cluster Display?

INPA or ISTA would quickly display presence or absence of those inputs to the CAS Module, and ALSO status of each CAS Terminal. However there is ONE MORE test you can do to test Starter Activation, AND to test for KL50 signal from CAS, WITHOUT INPA/ISTA BMW Factory-Level/ Dealer-Level Diagnostic Software.

Please try those tests noting each result and post those results here.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Orien
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
The DME has NOTHING to do with Activation of Starter Solenoid. The CAS Module, specifically Terminal 50 (KL50) sends a voltage signal to the Starter Solenoid to Crank the Starter. CAS will ONLY activate KL50 and crank starter IF:

Those "Safety Switch" signals can be read as Live Data if you have a Scan Tool that can connect to CAS Module, or if you have INPA/ISTA Diagnostic Software. If you don't have either, you can at least do these Tests:
1) Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment: does Radio play? Do Brake Lights light when brake pedal is pressed? You could still have bad wiring between Brake Light Switch and CAS, but at least you can see if Switch works.
2) If AT, insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment, turn on Ignition by pressing START button WITHOUT pressing brake and see if instrument cluster lights and Climate Control Panel lights. If BOTH light up, then CAS is activating KL15 and KL30G relays as it should.
3) Check to see what Gear Selection is displayed in lower display of Instrument Cluster. It SHOULD be "P" if Shift Lever is in Park Position. Now press Brake and move Shift Lever to R, N & D Positions. Is EACH gear selected displayed on Lower Instrument Cluster Display?

INPA or ISTA would quickly display presence or absence of those inputs to the CAS Module, and ALSO status of each CAS Terminal. However there is ONE MORE test [...]
Would this all still work with me being manual or should I run a differnt prodcedure?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
... Those "Safety Switch" signals can be read as Live Data if you have a Scan Tool that can connect to CAS Module, or if you have INPA/ISTA Diagnostic Software. If you don't have either, you can at least do these Tests:
1) Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment: does Radio play? Do Brake Lights light when brake pedal is pressed? You could still have bad wiring between Brake Light Switch and CAS, but at least you can see if Switch works. [Do this test whether AT or MT]
2) If AT, insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment, turn on Ignition by pressing START button WITHOUT pressing brake and see if instrument cluster lights and Climate Control Panel lights. If BOTH light up, then CAS is activating KL15 and KL30G relays as it should. ["If AT" SHOULD have been BEFORE (3) below. Do this test whether AT or MT]
3) Check to see what Gear Selection is displayed in lower display of Instrument Cluster. It SHOULD be "P" if Shift Lever is in Park Position. Now press Brake and move Shift Lever to R, N & D Positions. Is EACH gear selected displayed on Lower Instrument Cluster Display? [Obviously if you have MT, you CANNOT perform this test. If MT, please report tests 1 & 2 only].... Please try those tests noting each result and post those results here.George
We can suggest more tests you can do when you report THOSE results. Also, please indicate IF your Scan Tool can read Fault Codes in CAS Module, or Display CAS Module Live Data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orien View Post
Would this all still work with me being manual or should I run a differnt prodcedure?
See above.
George
Appreciate 1
Orien0.00
      04-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #5
Orien
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!

INPA or ISTA would quickly display presence or absence of those inputs to the CAS Module, and ALSO status of each CAS Terminal. However there is ONE MORE test [...]
I I do not have a tool that can scan CAS. When I press start the button all light and radio and etc. come on. Brake lights also work fuel pump primes and everything
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 06:57 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Need build Mo/Yr & Last-7 Characters of VIN, due to MANY changes to Electrical System 3/1/2007.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:16 PM   #7
Orien
Registered
Rep

Ended up figuring it out. Was a bad ground
Appreciate 0