home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #1
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

Minor annoyances & surprises

3 days into ownership and I'm loving the 230i (with OS8). Totally brilliant on winding roads. But you presumably knew that, so some mostly minor things I've noticed:

Major annoyances:
- As always, the lack of a spare wheel - an essential for road trips in Australia. I'm arranging to strap one onto the boot floor.
- Missing gear shift. I often used to flick one or two gears with the gear lever (eg leaving intersections) until the wheel straightened and I could change with the paddles again. The new switch solves a problem that didn't need to be solved.
- And about that switch. It's a 4-way toggle switch (2 positions in 2 directions) - so that's not going to confuse anyone (much). To get everything into Sport mode, you have to double-press the switch to put the gearbox into Sport (instead of moving the gear lever sideways) and also press the sport button, so it's more complicated than before. To put it into neutral, you have to press it towards R.

Some minor annoyances I've noticed:
- Blinkers work the conventional way, rather than the previous BMW and MINI way (press in the same direction to turn off) which I thought was superior. I guess it confused potential owners on road tests???
- You have to turn off rain-sensing wipers to flick-wipe the screen. Just dumb. In very light rain a flick-wipe is often needed.
- You can't reset the trip meter without also resetting the fuel consumption. I want trip meter between turn-offs but fuel consumption for the entire trip.
- While I'm at this, changing the fuel consumption display to litres per hour when you're stopped is just silly - that's when I might want to review fuel consumption. And what am I supposed to do with the litres/hour information anyway?!
- You can't customize the size of the widgets on the display. This can result in one being half off the display because of sizing, which is just untidy.
- In Sport mode, the minute hand of the clock widget turns red. Red is for second hands, not minute hands! Ideally it should turn both hands red, or neither.
- The parking brake automatically disconnects when you try to start off - but only most of the time. Can't be relied on. (My MINI was like this too.)

Some nice surprises:
- Heads-up display. I heard they had been dropped so it was nice to get one. Be handy if it showed revs and gear as well, but I'll take it.
- Adaptive cruise control is very good. On my MINI I only used it on freeways because it gave too many false positives anywhere else. On the 230i it will be on all the time, which is better for safety.
- Voice control works. Not only is it usable (first time I've encountered such) but it works very well. In honour of which, my car is named Zora.
- Being able to customize the voice wake-up name is cute. I just have to say "Zora", wait a second and she's ready to listen.
- I spent some serious time learning the new screen and OS8, but now that I have, I quite like it. The shortcuts don't set up quite as I'd like, but otherwise I'm happy. And the voice control covers lots of things anyway.
- Speaking of which, I don't mind the screen rather than buttons for the heating & cooling. The temperature selection is permanently displayed anyway. The main thing I change regularly that's now buried on the screen is the seat heating. I've found the voice recognition can set it to 1 2 3 or 4, not just "on" (which goes to full), so I'll just change it that way.
- Glad there's Sport Individual even on the 230i. Comfort steering and Sport Plus everything else for me :-)
- G-meter is fun to have. The manual says to be gentle on the tyres for the first 500km. I don't think they had 0.67G in mind... (and I wasn't really pushing, honest!)
- Also cute that the blinkers and headlights show up on the picture of the car on the central display.

2021 International BMW Club of the Year

Opinions are personal, not those of the club

Last edited by pw4; 04-20-2023 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 5
      04-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

I would add one more to the annoyances list:
The Heads-up Display doesn't show blind spot alerts when you try to change lanes. Only the mirror does. HUD does it on the Mazda 3 and it's a very convenient feature.
Appreciate 1
pw490.50
      04-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

The impact sensors are a little obnoxious. They are always going crazy as I'm backing into my garage (single car) and I have to pray the car doesn't decide to slam the brakes for me. I have the same problem backing into my driveway if there is a stream of water from rain where my driveway meets the street.

No way to pause/unpause music from steering wheel

Music from USB works when it wants to

When switching between drive modes, on occasion the stats displayed in the main gauge cluster will change from "Since refuelling" to "Individual", and it's annoying to always have to navigate to the menu to switch it back to "Since refueling", as I prefer this for monitoring my MPG per tank
Appreciate 2
pw490.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      04-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I just think it’s annoying when people say “heads up display” when it’s “head up display”.

How many heads have you got?
Appreciate 2
J-RO2100.00
Sonic RR129.00
      04-21-2023, 05:42 PM   #5
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I just think it’s annoying when people say “heads up display” when it’s “head up display”.

Appreciate 3
      04-21-2023, 06:35 PM   #6
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 Xdrive Retired M340

Quote:

I just think it’s annoying when people point out minor grammatical errors on an Internet forum.
Appreciate 5
      04-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #7
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:

What do you say when a ball is flying someone's way...

Heads up or Head up?

Didn't think so.
      04-21-2023, 07:02 PM   #8
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post

Heads up or Head up?

Didn't think so.
Heads up cause the whole field need be on their toes.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post

Heads up or Head up?

Didn't think so.
Duck.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 07:57 PM   #10
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4 View Post
3 days into ownership and I'm loving the 230i (with OS8). Totally brilliant on winding roads. But you presumably knew that, so some mostly minor things I've noticed:

Major annoyances:
- As always, the lack of a spare wheel - an essential for road trips in Australia. I'm arranging to strap one onto the boot floor.
- Missing gear shift. I often used to flick one or two gears with the gear lever (eg leaving intersections) until the wheel straightened and I could change with the paddles again. The new switch solves a problem that didn't need to be solved.
- And about that switch. It's a 4-way toggle switch (2 positions in 2 directions) - so that's not going to confuse anyone (much). To get everything into Sport mode, you have to double-press the switch to put the gearbox into Sport (instead of moving the gear lever sideways) and also press the sport button, so it's more complicated than before. To put it into neutral, you have to press it towards R.

Some minor annoyances I've noticed:
- Blinkers work the conventional way, rather than the previous BMW and MINI way (press in the same direction to turn off) which I thought was superior. I guess it confused potential owners on road tests???
- You have to turn off rain-sensing wipers to flick-wipe the screen. Just dumb. In very light rain a flick-wipe is often needed.
- You can't reset the trip meter without also resetting the fuel consumption. I want trip meter between turn-offs but fuel consumption for the entire trip.
- While I'm at this, changing the fuel consumption display to litres per hour when you're [...]
Not sure if anyone has commented on this but you can get the head up display to show revs. If you click the 3 horizontal lines beside the phone button then press the right arrow to go to the hud menu (3rd square) then use the scroll wheel to cycle through you can choose sport view which shows a rev meter and redline. In that screen you can also customize the display i front of the steering wheel and what it shows in the middle.
Appreciate 2
pw490.50
ghostz33.00
      04-21-2023, 09:49 PM   #11
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
This blows my mind to be honest... it's such an obvious thing to decide not to include.
Appreciate 2
pw490.50
      04-21-2023, 10:07 PM   #12
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:

Lmao of all the things to get annoyed about why are you allowing this to bother you?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:47 AM   #13
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiursblade View Post
Lmao of all the things to get annoyed about why are you allowing this to bother you?
Lmao at the people who are taking the comment seriously.The irony.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:54 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Music from USB works when it wants to

When switching between drive modes, on occasion the stats displayed in the main gauge cluster will change from "Since refuelling" to "Individual", and it's annoying to always have to navigate to the menu to switch it back to "Since refueling", as I prefer this for monitoring my MPG per tank
Try pressing the physical mute button. IIRC that pauses music.

My stats don’t change between Drive modes. You might want to see if there is a fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:29 AM   #15
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try pressing the physical mute button. IIRC that pauses music.

My stats don’t change between Drive modes. You might want to see if there is a fault.
There's no physical mute button on the steering wheel.

It's not every time, I need to figure out the exact mode change that causes it. It's pretty rare but it happens on occasion. And it's not the stats, it's the starting point for the stats, individual versus refuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #16
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There's no physical mute button on the steering wheel.

It's not every time, I need to figure out the exact mode change that causes it. It's pretty rare but it happens on occasion. And it's not the stats, it's the starting point for the stats, individual versus refuel.
I didn’t say the mute button was on the wheel.
And for confirmation, the basis for stats don’t change either.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #17
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t say the mute button was on the wheel.
And for confirmation, the basis for stats don’t change either.
Well my comment was referring to the ability to mute/unmute from the steering wheel. So I don't know why you're pointing out the control on the radio itself..we all know that.

Again, it doesn't do it for me often when changing to say eco, comfort, or sport plus, but toggling through modes it has done it in the past, maybe 3-4 times in 6 months. It may only be when I switch to individual modes from something? I don't know. I doubt you've vetted every possible drive mode change variation. I highly doubt my car is broken.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 12:18 PM   #18
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

BMW, why the heck did you take out the FUSE PULLER? Why BMW why?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #19
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM240i View Post
BMW, why the heck did you take out the FUSE PULLER? Why BMW why?
Realized that today when I did the exhaust flap fuse pull...pretty annoying
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 04:09 AM   #20
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn M240i View Post
Not sure if anyone has commented on this but you can get the head up display to show revs. If you click the 3 horizontal lines beside the phone button then press the right arrow to go to the hud menu (3rd square) then use the scroll wheel to cycle through you can choose sport view which shows a rev meter and redline. In that screen you can also customize the display i front of the steering wheel and what it shows in the middle.
Thanks for that - I had found the HUD's "sports display" but I was looking for something that looked like a rev counter. Silly me - clearly I should have been looking for a double-sided random trapezoidal thing to show revs. Glad to have it now, so thank you.

2021 International BMW Club of the Year

Opinions are personal, not those of the club
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #21
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
The impact sensors are a little obnoxious. They are always going crazy as I'm backing into my garage (single car) and I have to pray the car doesn't decide to slam the brakes for me.
I've had my sensors absolutely refuse to let me out of the garage!
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 10:13 PM   #22
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I'm still miffed they couldn't option ventilated seats. My 2018 IS300 cost me $15k less and had them. Bull butter.
Appreciate 0