home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

829Ms and "official winter wheels"

I recall that the on the G80 forums, the 829Ms are sometimes called "the official winter wheels." Two questions:

1. What does "official" mean, is there actually guidance from BMW about that?

2. Do we have the same kind of guidance for the G87?

Putting side "officialness," is there any particular advantage to 829Ms? Because they are really heavy. Is that weight due to pothole strengthening?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
hasmani
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Answer

The term "official" in the context of the G80 forums likely refers to the perception among forum members that the 829M wheels are commonly recommended or preferred by BMW for winter driving. However, it's important to note that unless there is an official statement or guidance from BMW stating that the 829M wheels are specifically designated as official winter wheels for the G80 model, this would remain a perception or an informal designation within the forum community.

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, I don't have specific information regarding BMW's official guidance for the G87 model. Since the G87 is a more recent model and my training data only goes up to 2021, I can't provide the latest information regarding any official recommendations for winter wheels on the G87.

Regarding the advantages of the 829M wheels, it's possible that forum members consider them advantageous for winter driving due to factors such as their design, materials, or compatibility with winter tires. However, the weight of the wheels is not necessarily related to pothole strengthening. Wheel weight can vary based on various factors such as the materials used, construction techniques, and desired performance characteristics. It's best to consult with official BMW sources or experienced automotive professionals for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding wheel recommendations and advantages for specific models.
Appreciate 1
Squidget3529.00