F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > will MHD ever include a E50 map?
ARMA SPEED

04-23-2023, 09:52 PM   #1
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

will MHD ever include a E50 map?

On stg 2+ e40 on MHD, and im hearing bm3 ots e50 puts a gap on mhd 340 tunes.

I saw on social media a video with both MHD and BM3, and BM3 E50 does indeed put about a car or a car and a half on mhd e40. It is social media, so they can both be lying about certain mods for whatever reason.

Anyway, would MHD ots maps ever be faster or at speed with BM3 on an ots E50 map if they ever decided to create one? Has MHD talked about adding an E50 map?

Last edited by kBrazy; 04-24-2023 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:26 AM   #2
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

The short answer to your question: MHD probably won't make an as aggressive E tune so it will run on any B58 with tu hpfp

The longer answer: yes, BM3 E50 should probably be a bit faster, boost - especially mid-range - is quite a bit higher on the BM3 E50 OTS. That being said, top-end boost and timing of E40 MHD vs BM3 E50 seems to be similar (because the stock turbo can't push much more than 20-21 psi high rpm, wgdc levels 90+%) so the real life difference shouldn't be very big.

The thing is that the BM3 E50 with those boost levels and amount of ethanol is arguably too much for a TU hpfp (in other threads this has been already discussed) causing it to crash in railpressure.

If you want to max out the stock turbo you can get a better hpfp than the tu and flash bm3 e50 or any custom e-tune that will max out stock turbo, but with a hpfp like a dorch stg2.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:26 AM   #3
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDuck View Post
The short answer to your question: MHD probably won't make an as aggressive E tune so it will run on any B58 with tu hpfp

The longer answer: yes, BM3 E50 should probably be a bit faster, boost - especially mid-range - is quite a bit higher on the BM3 E50 OTS. That being said, top-end boost and timing of E40 MHD vs BM3 E50 seems to be similar (because the stock turbo can't push much more than 20-21 psi high rpm, wgdc levels 90+%) so the real life difference shouldn't be very big.

The thing is that the BM3 E50 with those boost levels and amount of ethanol is arguably too much for a TU hpfp (in other threads this has been already discussed) causing it to crash in railpressure.

If you want to max out the stock turbo you can get a better hpfp than the tu and flash bm3 e50 or any custom e-tune that will max out stock turbo, but with a hpfp like a dorch stg2.
Yes, I have heard that the TU pump for some may crash in the BM3 map. However, I know some people who haven't had any issues with their TU pump being on BM3 E50. I would love to see a legitimate race against MHD E40 and E50 BM3.

I have the TU pump, and I don't plan on upgrading my hpfp as e40 is enough for a daily driver, but it would be nice to have a faster version of the car knowing it would cost me the same amount of money.

I initially planned on going BM3 but, later changed my mind to MHD. Might be a possibility of me regretting it

Last edited by kBrazy; 04-24-2023 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:02 PM   #4
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBrazy View Post
Yes, I have heard that the TU pump for some may crash in the BM3 map. However, I know some people who haven't had any issues with their TU pump being on BM3 E50. I would love to see a legitimate race against MHD E40 and E50 BM3.

I have the TU pump, and I don't plan on upgrading my hpfp as e40 is enough for a daily driver, but it would be nice to have a faster version of the car knowing it would cost me the same amount of money.

I initially planned on going BM3 but, later changed my mind to MHD. Might be a possibility of me regretting it
I've heard the bm3 e50 map puts about a car and a half in a roll. MHD is just a bit more conservative.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #5
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivilla035 View Post
I've heard the bm3 e50 map puts about a car and a half in a roll. MHD is just a bit more conservative.
That’s crazy, i mean with 10% more ethanol, you wouldn’t expect that amount of gapplebees😵‍💫 Should’ve went BM3!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s crazy, i mean with 10% more ethanol, you wouldn’t expect that amount of gapplebees😵‍💫 Should’ve went BM3!
Honestly, I'm not sure. I run stage 2+ with the flex fuel kit on bm3, but I only have the TU pump. I haven't ran logs but I hope my pump isn't crashing at e50.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 12:02 AM   #7
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
🤷 y'all are focussing a lil too much on the E percentage. It's not the main concern, a tu pump can even run full e85 if boost levels are adapted. In fact, for my e40 mhd to run properly I'm realistically at e50 so my logs look clean. The biggest difference between bm3 e50 and mhd e40 isn't the amount of E needed to run the tune, it's the amount of boost that goes with this amount of E mix. As I said mid-range I definitely see some torque difference (when comparing logs), but I doubt that overall it will be a "big" difference in acceleration looking at the overall power estimate.

As long as we can't compare the identical car running both tunes with the right mix and doing some dragy's all we do is assuming. All them videos are to be taken with a big grain of salt...

- did the cars have no issues
- did they run the right mix giving a good log
- weight of car, rims, amount of fuel, passenger, ...
- driver error (reaction time etc.)

Be our guineapig and dragytest both for us with your car for the sake of science haha 😄
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:10 PM   #8
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
🤷 y'all are focussing a lil too much on the E percentage. It's not the main concern, a tu pump can even run full e85 if boost levels are adapted. In fact, for my e40 mhd to run properly I'm realistically at e50 so my logs look clean. The biggest difference between bm3 e50 and mhd e40 isn't the amount of E needed to run the tune, it's the amount of boost that goes with this amount of E mix. As I said mid-range I definitely see some torque difference (when comparing logs), but I doubt that overall it will be a "big" difference in acceleration looking at the overall power estimate.

As long as we can't compare the identical car running both tunes with the right mix and doing some dragy's all we do is assuming. All them videos are to be taken with a big grain of salt...

Be our guineapig and dragytest both for us with your car for the sake of science haha 😄
Yea for sure. I've just been saying what I've heard and seen on youtube. BM3 maps have always been noticeably more aggressive than the MHD maps, so who knows. I don't care enough as long as my car runs ok. IMO it wouldn't even be worth the switch to bm3 unless you want the simplicity remote tuning and cloud access.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:06 AM   #9
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
�� y'all are focussing a lil too much on the E percentage. It's not the main concern, a tu pump can even run full e85 if boost levels are adapted. In fact, for my e40 mhd to run properly I'm realistically at e50 so my logs look clean. The biggest difference between bm3 e50 and mhd e40 isn't the amount of E needed to run the tune, it's the amount of boost that goes with this amount of E mix. As I said mid-range I definitely see some torque difference (when comparing logs), but I doubt that overall it will be a "big" difference in acceleration looking at the overall power estimate.

Be our guineapig and dragytest both for us with your car for the sake of science haha ��

The TU pump could run with full e85, as that isn't the main issue, but I'm not sure why MHD is a bit more on the conservative side of their maps. Why not just create a E50 map with MHD's conservative boost targets? Might as well as their E40 map is essentially similar to BM3's E30 in terms of boost.

I am just curious to see if MHD will ever create an E50 map with higher boost levels which would allow the TU pump to still withstand.

Last edited by kBrazy; 04-26-2023 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:55 AM   #10
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The TU pump could run with full e85, as that isn't the main issue, but I'm not sure why MHD is a bit more on the conservative side of their maps. Why not just create a E50 map with MHD's conservative boost targets? Might as well as their E40 map is essentially similar to BM3's E30 in terms of boost.

I am just curious to see if MHD will ever create an E50 map because as a competitor, you would want to match or even create a better map than your opponent.
More ethanol won't necessarily give more power, you can only make so much timing advance. It is as you say, the more conservative boost targets. With some more boost there'd be a bit more power but especially more torque to be had. The ethanol mix as I said earlier wether e40/50 it's just to give the ots map a name.. in reality you need around the same amount of ethanol on both bm3/mhd to have clean timings.

MHD decided to leave a little bit of boost on the table in return for it to run reliable on every car. I personally prefer that approach. I've seen MHD OTS E40 dragy's at around 6.8-6.9 sec 100-200, by no means slow. Maybe BM3 could be one or two tenths faster but there's the possibility of a tu hpfp having railpressure drops as we discussed. If you want to extract every single and last inch of performance out of it then BM3 is worth trying I guess, but then a custom tune + DS2 hpfp might be worth it to really max out the stock turbo.
Appreciate 1