E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > is CAS or the starter bad?

04-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #1
oliandrew291
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

is CAS or the starter bad?

Hey guys, I had an issue with my 2011 328xi.

A month ago, it wouldn't start. I spotted a broken ground and got it replaced, it then worked fine. Yesterday, it did the exact same thing, it wouldn't start! No crank, just clicking.

Is it possible that the CAS is damaged? Or is it the starter? Did the broken ground affect one of these or is it totally unrelated?

I am not sure what to do, the starter didn't seem to have signs of failing, although i believe it hasn't been replaced yet, and it has 190 000 km.

Let me know! thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:51 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliandrew291 View Post
Hey guys, I had an issue with my 2011 328xi. A month ago, it wouldn't start. I spotted a broken ground and got it replaced, it then worked fine. Yesterday, it did the exact same thing, it wouldn't start! No crank, just clicking.
WHERE were you when you "spotted a broken ground", and WHERE is that ground strap located?
Does the Starter NOW Crank when you connect ONE Jumper Cable from the "Jumpstart Ground Hex-pin" on the Right Fender/Wing under hood to a good metal Bracket or Bolt/Nut on the Engine Crankcase?

Some folks think the "Interference Suppression Strap" which is a SMALL ground strap next to the Windshield Washer Fluid Filler Tube on right side of engine, visible from leaning over right fender with hood up, is an "Engine Ground". However that small strap will quickly fail if the Main Ground Strap BENEATH the Vehicle, next to Starter Motor, has failed.

The "Jumper Cable Supplemental Ground Test" described above is something you can do WITHOUT a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA). You need to get fault codes read from BOTH DME and CAS Fault Memory, indicate what Warning Lights appear on Instrument Cluster when Starter will NOT crank engine, AND describe the sound of the clicking and apparent souce of clicking when Starter does NOT crank engine. For example, is it a single 'Click' that comes from the area of the starter? Multiple, "ratchet-like" clicking from the JB Fuse panel (Glovebox area)? Click from CAS Module above Driver Footwell?
What is the Voltage measured at the Jumpstart Terminals after Starter just clicks instead of cranking engine?

Details matter, so please provide as much detail as possible.
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 04-25-2023 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 04:04 PM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

I defer to George in troubleshooting of course

However I will say I apply Occam’s Razor to diag. I’d make sure the CAS can communicate properly, but with those miles, it’s probably the starter.
Appreciate 0