BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Exterior Modifications

06-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
bislag
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Front Plate Bracket - Tow Hook

For those looking for tow hook license plate mounts, I've aggregated some reviews and pictures with the 3 mounts known to work here; Ebay, EOS, RHO. Note that each of those has a link to the products themselves. You can follow links in the reviews to the original forum posts froom users with pics.

Ebay:$30
Review from bislag: Worked perfectly. Only note is that the plate rotates a little easier than I’d like fully tightened. That said, its not loose and hasn’t budged in the slightest in the weeks/miles since I’ve put it on. Its very adjustable and with how I positioned the plate on the bottom right mounting location, no interference with sensors. I have not experimented with other positions. Original review with pictures at following link: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=13

Eos plate holder:$80 or https://eosplates.com/collections/bm...40152000987285
Review from Squidget : Works fine on the G87. It comes with (2) 7mm spacers, I used one. It seems reasonably secure, except I worry it's going to rotate. There's no keying in the assembly to prevent the plate from rotating over time, and I'm going to keep an eye on it. It's reasonably adjustable on the yaw axis. The plate holder itself has plenty of mount points so you can position it. Because I'm worried about rotation, I mounted the plate dead center over the tow hook spot. I think it looks fine there, but you could push it leftward if you wanted. I wouldn't put it in a car wash. It's not a quick-release system, so if you go to car washes, this is probably not the product for you. Original review with pictures at following link: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=24

RHO: $109
Review from Trogster: I've used many tow-hook style brackets over the years and I can honestly confirm this is by-far, the best design I've ever used. Original review with pictures at following link: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=49

-----Original post from before mounts were found below------

Does anybody know of tow hook plate bracket that is confirmed to fit the G87 M2 (and not interfere with the sensors)? Any of our vendors here know of one in the works? My plates finally came in the mail and my temp tag doesn't have much life left.

Apologies if I missed it, but I haven't seen any on any websites or forums advertising one. I believe I've seen them for the prior gen M2 and current 2 series, but not the G87.

And just to cover the usual responses I always see to this;
  • I don't care that your state doesn't mandate front plates, nor do I care how happy or smug you are about that. Congratulations.
  • I don't care that your area does not not enforce it. Mine does, religiously, and will ticket. I got pulled over 4 times in my last car with a plate mount that the officers missed. There was no other violation or warning each time, it was the sole reason for the stop.
  • I don't care that you won't get a ticket putting it on your dash. Just like in the prior bullet, I will get a ticket for doing so.
  • I don't care that you don't mind using the BMW provided plate bracket.
  • I specifically said tow hook plate mount, I don't particularly want one that mounts or positions the plate like the stow and show. I just don't like how those look, but I get the appeal.

Last edited by bislag; 07-08-2023 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Update for product links/reviews
Appreciate 3
cmgbk752631.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
      06-03-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bislag View Post
Does anybody know of tow hook plate bracket that is confirmed to fit the G87 M2 (and not interfere with the sensors)? Any of our vendors here know of one in the works? My plates finally came in the mail and my temp tag doesn't have much life left.

Apologies if I missed it, but I haven't seen any on any websites or forums advertising one. I believe I've seen them for the prior gen M2 and current 2 series, but not the G87.

I don't care that your state doesn't mandate front plates, nor do I care how happy or smug you are about that. Congratulations.
I don't care that your area does not not enforce it. Mine does, religiously, and will ticket. I got pulled over 4 times in my last car with a plate mount that the officers missed. There was no other violation or warning each time, it was the sole reason for the stop.
I don't care that you won't get a ticket putting it on your dash. Just like in the prior bullet, I will get a ticket for doing so.
I don't care that you don't mind using the BMW provided plate bracket.
I specifically said tow hook plate mount, I don't particularly want one that mounts or positions the plate like the stow and show. I just don't like how those look, but I get the appeal.
LOL! Very efficient. You definitely eliminated 95% of probable responses. I’m in need of the 5% as well.
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #3
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

I don't care that your state doesn't mandate front plates, nor do I care how happy or smug you are about that. Congratulations.
I don't care that your area does not not enforce it. Mine does, religiously, and will ticket. I got pulled over 4 times in my last car with a plate mount that the officers missed. There was no other violation or warning each time, it was the sole reason for the stop.
I don't care that you won't get a ticket putting it on your dash. Just like in the prior bullet, I will get a ticket for doing so.
I don't care that you don't mind using the BMW provided plate bracket.
I specifically said tow hook plate mount, I don't particularly want one that mounts or positions the plate like the stow and show. I just don't like how those look, but I get the appeal.
Well now you probably won’t get any responses! Lol
Appreciate 1
bislag33.00
      06-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
bislag
Rep

Lol. Thanks. Been around forums too long I guess lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 10:03 PM   #5
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

They do make nice billet universal mounts for tow hooks.

Not sure how well it would work. I bought one for my Mclaren and used it until they made a custom piece that screwed under the splitter. That thing was awesome. It has a quick release and you could remove the plate in 5 sec.

For the M2, I am going to ask my friend to make me a 3-d printed one that I can put in the radiator gap. Not great if U want to track the car tho. I don't know how much it would effect cooling. For the street, no worries tho.
Attached Images

Last edited by LCDRJohn; 06-03-2023 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
bislag33.00
      06-04-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
bislag
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
They do make nice billet universal mounts for tow hooks.
Thanks. I didn't mention it in my post, but I did try one of the generic ones from ebay that said they fit the G87 M2. Not sure if that's what you're referring to though. Unfortunately the tow hook piece that screws in needs to be 1-2" longer. I didn't measure, just an extraordarily rough guesstimate to what would be needed to get it out from inside the bumper and provide enough clearance for the plate bracket.

I did provide feedback to the seller, so maybe they'll refine it, but I always only considered it a placeholder solution. Its very adjustable, but it's not something that seems like it'll hold up as a consequence.
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn607.50
      06-04-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

I have a kit I'm going to try when I get my car at the end of this month, I'll report back then. Sorry, until then, I've got nothing to add.

Edit: It's an EOS.
Appreciate 2
cmgbk752631.50
bislag33.00
      06-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #8
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
After moving from a province that doesn’t require a front plate, I installed a hidden mount under the bumper. I don’t use it much because cops around me don’t usually ticket for front plates, so I just don’t run any, and I have it in the trunk so I can throw it on the dash if needed…

Hope I helped.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #9
bislag
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I have a kit I'm going to try when I get my car at the end of this month, I'll report back then. Sorry, until then, I've got nothing to add.

Edit: It's an EOS.
Thanks, I don't see them listing the 2023 M2 on their site. Is this one of the brackets intended for another BMW? If so, which one, and how long is the part that screws into the threads for the tow hook?

For reference the tow hook post on the ebay bracket I mentioned is 4.75" if you don't count the threads. That's still not enough to get it even flush with the bumper, probably a 1/2 an inch short from being flush (eyeballed). Then there's the bumper features that the bracket still needs to clear.

The seller of the ebay mount is sending me a longer post right now. I'm not particularly optimistic the bracket will work out since they only said "longer." But we'll see. I'll take more measurements once I get the replacement regardless.

Also, great job covering all the bases M2siast lol
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      06-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #10
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I don't see them listing the 2023 M2 on their site. Is this one of the brackets intended for another BMW? If so, which one, and how long is the part that screws into the threads for the tow hook?
It's for a G80, IIRC and yeah, I have no idea if it will work, I'm just trying things to see if they work. I'll measure the shank tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #11
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When I first saw a G87, my CA and I looked at the bumper and brainstormed the problem. We came up with three options.

Tow hook is preferred and we think it can clear all the sensors.

After that we'll try zipties to the lower grill. I'm getting a manual so there's no adaptive cruise control sensor to worry about.

Last resort is double sided tape. Obviously this has issues and totally rules out car washes. I'm probably unwilling to do this unless we can get a really good seal. I'm not the kind of asshole who would have a loose piece of metal that can fly off on the highway and cause an accident. If it comes to this, I'll probably suck it up and drill the bumper.

Running without plates is not an option where I live, cops WILL ticket you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:23 AM   #12
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just measured. The clearance is about 6 1/8" from threads to back of plate. Plus there are two optional spaces, 7mm each, that can be added.

So call it 6 5/8" clearance.

FYI: I think it was this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094638633
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #13
bislag
Rep

Success! I might move to a different mount once available (or maybe the one Squidget posted), but the ebay mount now works. The EOS mount squidget posted in this thread should also work with the spacers based on the measurement provided.

The ebay seller sent a longer post, 6.5” without counting threads vs the original 4.75” they had sent. It worked. Only complaint is that the plate rotates a little easier than I’d like fully tightened. That said, its not loose. On a short drive hitting speeds of 70mph it did not move. Its very adjustable and with how I positioned the plate on the bottom right mounting location, no interference with sensors. I did not experiment with other positions.

Link to item. https://www.ebay.com/itm/364202158561
Theyll ask model of car. I’ll be sending my feedback to them shortly so they know what to send future buyers. All in all I consider it worth the $30 spent and recommend it. I will update the review here if I have any issues or change my opinion.

Pics below. Apologies for rotated images. Not bothering to fight the erroneous rotation issue on upload while on mobile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Squidget3529.00
cmgbk752631.50
M2siast5876.00
      06-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #14
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Awesome, I'm glad you figured it out, and I'm glad that my kit will probably work!
Appreciate 1
bislag33.00
      06-07-2023, 10:44 PM   #15
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Success! I might move to a different mount once available (or maybe the one Squidget posted), but the ebay mount now works. The EOS mount squidget posted in this thread should also work with the spacers based on the measurement provided.

The ebay seller sent a longer post, 6.5” without counting threads vs the original 4.75” they had sent. It worked. Only complaint is that the plate rotates a little easier than I’d like fully tightened. That said, its not loose. On a short drive hitting speeds of 70mph it did not move. Its very adjustable and with how I positioned the plate on the bottom right mounting location, no interference with sensors. I did not experiment with other positions.

Link to item. https://www.ebay.com/itm/364202158561
Theyll ask model of car. I’ll be sending my feedback to them shortly so they know what to send future buyers. All in all I consider it worth the $30 spent and recommend it. I will update the review here if I have any issues or change my opinion.

Pics below. Apologies for rotated images. Not bothering to fight the erroneous rotation issue on upload while on mobile.
Hope you got a full refund for lending your photo for the ad thanks for sharing, I might grab one!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 05:46 AM   #16
JqotsaL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Awesome, I'm glad you figured it out, and I'm glad that my kit will probably work!
Did this mount end up working out for you? Just wanted to confirm before I order one myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 10:56 AM   #17
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JqotsaL View Post
Did this mount end up working out for you? Just wanted to confirm before I order one myself.
Sorry! My car was delayed, I hope to get it by Monday. I will test it as soon as I can.
Appreciate 1
bislag33.00
      06-22-2023, 12:00 PM   #18
JqotsaL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Sorry! My car was delayed, I hope to get it by Monday. I will test it as soon as I can.

No problem, and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 04:31 PM   #19
bislag
Rep

Quote:
Definitely eager to see how that one works out. Been toying with the idea of editing the first post to throw links up to products that are known to be good once more folks confirm fitment.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 02:33 PM   #20
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
After various other delays, car arrived but went into PPF immediately. That's just how the timing worked out. Sorry, no update yet. I do promise that when I actually DO take delivery, I'll update.

In the meantime, the RHO plate seems to be a good option? https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=49
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 12:18 PM   #21
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
I ordered the RHO tow hook mount.

Did Expedited shipping for $14.95.

Unfortunately it’s coming from Cali and has an estimated ETA of 3-6 Business days.

I’ll keep the car off the Ticket magnet City streets until then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Squidget3529.00
      06-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #22
Chet for short
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TR G87 M2

I ordered the RHO today as well
Appreciate 0