home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

ALLOCATION

On April 20, 2023 I went to my local dealer for the purpose of getting a 240ix. I was advised that I was number one on the list. Now almost two months later I am still waiting for an allocation. Is there any "rule of thumb"as to how long it takes a dealer to get one? Can someone share their experience? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

I placed an order beginning of February this year, and handed over a 'non-refundable' deposit. The dealer never mentioned anything about allocations, and just said 'congratulations' and that it might end up being a MY2024 car.

It was later that I learned of allocations, and when I asked the dealer about it, my text went unanswered at first. After a week I reached out again, to be told that they didn't in fact have an allocation, and that there was nothing they could do.

I started calling all the dealers within 200 miles, to be told the same thing. No allocations, and no idea when they'd get one. So I scoured the internet, and actually found a car, new, on the ground in Atlanta. This was a Friday morning. Different color and leather to what I wanted, but I thought, 'what the hell?' I called them, and my local dealer, and asked if there was anything that could be done. Local dealer said they'd try to get the car for me. They tried Monday, and of course the car was already sold.

So I continued to wait: nothing else to do. Then out of the blue, in the MARKETPLACE—FOR MEMBERS section, a guy who works at a BMW dealership posted that they had a buildable allocation. I immediately called him, and then called my dealer. They had no choice but to refund my money. I ordered the car, exactly as I want it, and the build is due to begin June 20. Fingers crossed—I just hope it doesn't all go tits up.

Not much happening yet, but at least its in the queue.

Last edited by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT; 06-08-2023 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
heelsmj352.50
      06-08-2023, 05:21 PM   #3
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 Xdrive Retired M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
On April 20, 2023 I went to my local dealer for the purpose of getting a 240ix. I was advised that I was number one on the list. Now almost two months later I am still waiting for an allocation. Is there any "rule of thumb"as to how long it takes a dealer to get one? Can someone share their experience? Thanks.
Thier is no rule of thumb. Allocations are effected by many things such as the size of the dealer and the volume of sales. Based on what I’ve seen just reading many different peoples experiences. A dealer is lucky if they get one per month. Call every dealer around. If they cannot give you a build number then they are BSing you. I would never put down a deposit unless the dealer has a confirmed allocation. There are to many stories of people getting jerked around when they have placed a deposit but they are “on a list” do the leg work. It took me two months of constant calling to find a dealer with an allocation. Once I did it took about 6 mo that I get my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
H00CH90
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240XI

I placed a deposit in Jan 22 and didn't receive an allocation until July, I was also told I was next in line. Some dealers take longer than others to receive allocations. I waited a day shy of 11 months from deposit to delivery but it was worth it. A 2024 MY might not be the worst thing, they may add some better options. Either way, worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 04:05 AM   #5
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Whilst there is no doubt underlying logic to it, from the outside it does look like a total lottery. As has been said it is down to the individual dealers and their position in the pecking order. Then there is whether dealers even tell you about the allocation system, and, if they do or you already know about it, how truthful they are in setting expectations. In short too many variables for any kind of rule of thumb.

FWIW in my case I ordered in October 22 and was told at the time the best estimate was a mid-March production slot. I didn't actually get a slot allocation until Christmas week and sure enough it was mid-March. Delivery was set at late June. Production actually started a week after the allocation date but the car is now in the UK and so the quoted delivery date is likely to be bettered.

Having said all that it does look like the average wait times are coming down.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:16 AM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

The situation may be different in the UK, and then again may have changed since I last spoke with a dealer on the subject a few years back.

In the UK dealers will horse trade build slots and builds. So it shouldn’t matter which dealer you go to. Those that don’t play the game effectively get black balled.

Of all the BMWs I’ve bought, the initial lead time has always been bettered due to a build slot coming free. I can only guess with the volume of sales, there are always customers dropping out at various order stages.

With my M240i, (initial enquiry circa October) the lead time was originally 9-12 months. When I asked for a quote, Parks of London brought this to March (6 months). I eventually ended up buying a like for like spec’d new car on the BMW new car locator in January and it arrived mid Feb, 2 weeks earlier than expected- probably due to it being so fast
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #7
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
It seems to take anywhere from 2-10 months, depending on where you are in the world and how busy of a dealership you've gone to. If they push volume, they have a better chance at getting an allocation for you sooner. I waited 6 months before getting one.

However, my sales rep was 100% crystal clear from the get-go about the allocation system, how it worked, and how random it is. I was in no rush for a new vehicle so, it gave me time to save up money for a down-payment and then sell my GTI. If you're looking to get a car sooner rather than later, it wouldn't hurt to scour the internet to see if maybe there's a car on a lot that's not spoken for. Definitely rare in the US to see that but, it's worth a shot.

Like the others have said, it's definitely worth the wait. M240ix is an absolute treat and I've enjoyed my car immensely.
2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t - Fusion Blue over Slate Gray (Gone)
1999 Saab 9-5 SE - Green Silver Metallic over Beige (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:25 AM   #8
Nate48
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

My Experiance so far. I was fifth in line when I started. I was told they averaged 1-2 allocations a month, but also had some months where they didn't receive any allocations. And, they were dead on with that estimate.

9/14/22 - Put down Deposit, was told I was 5th in Line for an Allocation
10/17/22 - Moved up Two Spots, now 3rd in Line
11/17/22 - No Allocations
12/17/22 - Moved up One Spot, now 2nd in Line
1/17/23 - Moved up One Spot, now 1st in Line
2/28/23 - Allocation received!!
3/18/23 - Scheduled for Production on Week 17, aka the week of 4/23. She said production takes about 2-Weeks, then they schedule shipment.
4/10/23 - Stage moved to Production Begins!!
4/26/23 - Jumped through the following stages...
- Exterior body assembly begins
- In the paint booth
- Entering Assembly Line
- Assembly in progress
- Quality check
- Final assembly
4/30/23 - Ready for Transport
5/30/23 - Jumped through the following stages...
- Awaiting carrier assignment
- Dispatched from factory
- At the port
- In Transit
5/31/23 - Genius was able to confirm My car was loaded onto the Glovis Spirit ship headed to Baltimore, MD. I live in Indiana, so maybe I'm looped into the east coast ports, instead of the TX ports. ETA to Baltimore is 6/11.
6/9/23 - Ship is ahead of scheduled and due to arrive at the port Saturday Morning 6/10.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
shefledthescene
Rep
Drives: M240i

Garage List
Put deposit down 11/28. Got allocation 2/6. Started production 3/13. Took delivery 5/22.

Be prepared to be patient 🙃
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #10
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Ya think maybe they tell all their interested customers "you are number 1 on the list"? Who wants to be number 4 or 10 or?, that means you are likely to shop elsewhere. Frankly you can be #1 on their list but if they don't get an allocation for 3 months or more it does not mean anything. No "rule of thumb". It's based pretty much on dealer's past performance/sales for a given model and availability from manufacturer. Some get many, some get very few.

I keep harping on the fact ya gotta find a dealer with an open allocation...otherwise it's a crap shoot. I shopped around contacting a lot of dealers to find an open allocation and was willing to travel. From order date to receipt of car was 2 months, 7 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #11
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
One thing you need to understand about dealers is: they say anything to get your deposit.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #12
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Notified today that my dealer received an allocation for an M240ix. True to their word I was first in line for the allolcation and they never asked for a deposit.
Appreciate 0