BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-10-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Anyone else starting to dislike their car?

I just haven’t fallen in love with this car. Not to beat a dead horse, but it’s the steering. Specifically how the car tracks when driving on the highway for long distances. I find it difficult to keep the car from slightly swerving at times because the center of the wheel is just dead. A review I recently watched from the straight pipes on youtube reaffirmed this to me. Apparently the M340, or any other bmw, doesn’t have this issue..

Perhaps some type of an alignment could improve it? I’ve seen that steering can be reprogrammed to a degree, but I’m not sure how viable that will be on this model. And coding/reprogramming can lead to warranty issues, which actually makes me nervous with this one. I bought the car last year when it was difficult to find test drives, figuring it would be close enough to other cars I’ve had experiences with. After owning it for 6 months, it isn’t a platform that I really even want to modify. The most attractive feature to me was xdrive, all my previous cars were rwd, but I think I’m ready to give that up and trade my car for something else. Kicking myself for not buying an f87 m2 comp or supra that was the same price. I don’t hate the car, but I find myself riding the line a lot if I glance anywhere but straight, imo it takes a ton of concentration to just cruise around.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 08:02 AM   #2
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Extremis View Post
I just haven’t fallen in love with this car. Not to beat a dead horse, but it’s the steering. Specifically how the car tracks when driving on the highway for long distances. I find it difficult to keep the car from slightly swerving at times because the center of the wheel is just dead. A review I recently watched from the straight pipes on youtube reaffirmed this to me. Apparently the M340, or any other bmw, doesn’t have this issue..

Perhaps some type of an alignment could improve it? I’ve seen that steering can be reprogrammed to a degree, but I’m not sure how viable that will be on this model. And coding/reprogramming can lead to warranty issues, which actually makes me nervous with this one. I bought the car last year when it was difficult to find test drives, figuring it would be close enough to other cars I’ve had experiences with. After owning it for 6 months, it isn’t a platform that I really even want to modify. The most attractive feature to me was xdrive, all my previous cars were rwd, but I think I’m ready to give that up and trade my car for something else. Kicking myself for not buying an f87 m2 comp or supra that was the same price. I don’t hate the car, but I find myself riding the line a lot if I glance anywhere but straight, imo it takes a ton of concentration to just cruise around.
Sorry you feel that way. I've had my M240i Xdrive for a year and love the car. I got used to the steering very quickly and forgot about it long ago, it just feels natural now – no concentration at all. And that's both daily driving and also very spirited driving. Actually, most all BMW reviews mention that there is no steering feel or the steering is numb – same with the new M2.

Consider trying the below, if you haven't already.

1. Maybe there is something wrong with your car. Might be worth a check.
2. You might try driving with the steering in sport mode and see if that feels better.
3. Have your tires checked for uneven tread wear, pressure, etc.

Good luck

Bob
Appreciate 5
TJZ67201843.50
heelsmj352.50
XC3LLR82062.50
Ruebarb380.00
      06-10-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

I agree that the steering is numb. On the highway I notice the same as you described above. I have gotten used to it over time. I think they engineered the steering to be light for the average ‘A to B’ driver. Putting into sport mode helps me. Have you tried this and see what you think?

When I test drove the M2 the steering seemed to be much tighter. Lots more road feel. However it was only 10 miles or so. But when on the highway, it felt better to me. Much better.

Perhaps you should trade up to the M2 and you will be happier.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I've put a lot of highway miles on my M240i and don't have the issue that you all are describing. I wonder if there's a difference in feel/tracking between RWD and xDrive?
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-10-2023, 09:20 AM   #5
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:

It's not true that other BMWs don't have this steering middle dead band characteristic. Since the switch to electrically powered steering they all have it to some extent even the full fat M models like my F82 M4 and therefore, in all probability, so does the F87.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      06-10-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
cennis
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I probably watched every video out there while I was waiting for my car and was definitely concerned hearing those comments. Yes, the steering feels is a bit dead/numb (for context, I also have a pristine low miles NB Miata), but I have definitely not notice any issues with the car wandering on the highway, it tracks perfectly straight with no need for constant correction. Tires maybe? Do you have the run-flats?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #7
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:

I've driven ton of M, AMG ( and watered down M/AMG) and steering are pretty similar. Lack of feel is caused by electrically assisted steering and I think it is getting worse due to all assist features; even if you turn them off they are still mechanically connected and affecting the feel.

The cure is picking up an E90 or anything with hydraulic rack and pinion.
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420799.00
      06-10-2023, 12:08 PM   #8
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

I don’t mean to come off as overly defensive for the car but the post reads as either exaggerative (or maybe I’m just reading it that way) or like the car needs an alignment or new tires.

No doubt the steering offers little feedback. Call it numb call it what you want. But you should not have any issue holding the car steady in your lane.

Changes to your alignment can have big effects on the cars handling. (That’s one of the reasons I take driving reviews with a huge grain of salt in the handling department or skidpad/slalom etc; because half or more of the handling dynamic being reviewed is the wheel/tire specs and the alignment.) You might at least confirm your alignment is to spec or consider changing to specs that will get you closer to your desired feel (but keeping expectations in check).
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2023, 06:13 PM   #9
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I still look forward to every drive after 8 months of ownership. I didn't go into it thinking I was going to have a car that had good steering feedback. It's a heavy car and I feel that at times, but I only daily drive mine so I can live with it.
Appreciate 2
heelsmj352.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-10-2023, 07:52 PM   #10
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 Xdrive Retired M340

Sounds like there is something wrong with your car. Your experience is just so wildly out of line with everyone else. I would definitely get the car checked. Now with that being said, I am coming from a 2020 M340 and the steering is definitely more numb. It feels like you are playing a video game. But the car is so engaging otherwise I forgot about it quickly.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-10-2023, 08:46 PM   #11
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Car should go straight as long as the road is not crowned. Usually tracks straight without my hands on the wheel. Check for uneven tire wear, try the different steering modes. Could be alignment or some weird driveline stuff if you have xDrive. I think we have to accept that the electric steering is always going to feel dead compared to the old hydraulic assist.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #12
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

I'm 2 months into ownership and I absolutely love the car. Steering feel doesn't bother me but I don't have much to compare it to, coming from a 2014 Mazda 3.

I do drive almost exclusively in Sport though so maybe that makes it feel a little better? Never had any issues with the car drifting out of lane on the highway though, to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 05:01 AM   #13
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
I probably watched every video out there while I was waiting for my car and was definitely concerned hearing those comments. Yes, the steering feels is a bit dead/numb (for context, I also have a pristine low miles NB Miata), but I have definitely not notice any issues with the car wandering on the highway, it tracks perfectly straight with no need for constant correction. Tires maybe? Do you have the run-flats?
I find that if it does happen to wander a fraction for some reason, the dead band sometimes tends to lead you to over correct very slightly. Then if you're not careful you can over correct very slightly back the other way etc. It's very subtle though and doesn't happen too often once you get used to it.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:38 AM   #14
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Loved it on day one and love it even more 7 months later! Can’t find a thing to complain about
      06-11-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Have had car for 12 months this week, still enjoy it, great fun and some great road trips!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:31 AM   #16
marcsg42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Going on almost 14 months with my 240 ,I kinda get what you are saying about the steering but isn’t that big of a deal for me ,the car car is a absolute dream for me I love everything about so not even close to being a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #17
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

1 year and 15,000 miles later and there’s not another car I’d rather have (at least that I can afford). The steering has never bothered me and I’m coming from a SS 1LE.

I will say after adding the forged Apex wheels and 265’s all around the steering feels more responsive and communicative. Personally, I don’t think the 225’s that so many have on this pig is the proper size for a 4,000 lb car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:44 AM   #18
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
1 year and 15,000 miles later and there’s not another car I’d rather have (at least that I can afford). The steering has never bothered me and I’m coming from a SS 1LE.

I will say after adding the forged Apex wheels and 265’s all around the steering feels more responsive and communicative. Personally, I don’t think the 225’s that so many have on this pig is the proper size for a 4,000 lb car.
You might be onto something here, 225s felt small on my GTI and that’s a significantly lighter and lower power car…
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 06:31 PM   #19
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:

No regrets. Drive-by-wire steering admitedly takes time to reluctantly accept. That being said I don’t find the car hard to find center while highway driving. However, that improved for me about two software updates ago. Also, I drive almost exclusively in Sport mode with the transmission in “S”.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 06:33 PM   #20
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Sorry you feel that way. I've had my M240i Xdrive for a year and love the car. I got used to the steering very quickly and forgot about it long ago, it just feels natural now – no concentration at all. And that's both daily driving and also very spirited driving. Actually, most all BMW reviews mention that there is no steering feel or the steering is numb – same with the new M2.

Consider trying the below, if you haven't already.

1. Maybe there is something wrong with your car. Might be worth a check.
2. You might try driving with the steering in sport mode and see if that feels better.
3. Have your tires checked for uneven tread wear, pressure, etc.

Good luck

Bob
Point 3 is very important. Check your tire pressure. I run at about 38/39 lbs. My car from dealer was at about 46 lbs. WTF.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:32 PM   #21
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I'm starting to get to this point....

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1233447697548957
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:21 AM   #22
g42bmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i, 2020 M340i

Coming from a 2020 M340i with RWD to the M240i Xdrive. I don't feel much differences both have very similar electronically controlled system that tries to take over when it thinks you are about to go off the lane...
Appreciate 0