bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
M Performace Exhaust

Anyone installed this on the M240i?

Curious if it has drone on the highway, I’ve heard it doesn’t from what I read, but I want to hear actual owner opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 12:52 AM   #2
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

no drone, very tame exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 08:26 AM   #3
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
no drone, very tame exhaust.
Sounds better than stock though? I’m not looking for a super loud exhaust, just an upgrade from stock that has a bit more aggression in it. Does it sound the same in comfort as stock? (flap closed)

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

some people state that you get better noise with a DP (still not too loud) and I think it's cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
I've only been driving my car for less than a week, but i had mine installed on arrival. It's actually almost silent under around 1.7k RPM. It only really sings when you rev out the engine, and is most obvious when you're in sport individual (fun mode), but it will still there if you drive in comfort mode.

The M240 seems to be soundproofed almost too well, that the sound is still somewhat muted with the windows up.

The M Performance Exhaust's announces itself on cold start where it will may sound a little drone-y to some, but once the engine heats up in about 2 minutes at idle, or driving for less than a minute, it calms down to "silent".

The thing to note with the exhaust is that it really brings out the "mid" frequency range of your engine notes. On my 23' M240, it really accentuates both the raspy and musical notes of the B58. More agressive downshifts, and revving to high gear and lefting off the gas even seems to yield some crackles and pops here and there when the engine and exhuast warms up to the point your front grilles open up.

Overall the exhaust is louder compared to some of the stock M and M-lite cars I test drove initially. It's pricey so I'd prioritize performance oriented mods before this, but if you're looking to drive your car mostly stock, not throw your warranty out the window out of the gate, and have the spare cash, it's pretty nice. Even with sawing off the exhaust at the rear axle the car remains completely in warranty.

Also in my opinion this video best captures the sound of the M Performance Exhaust (minus the pops and crackles or upshift farts, as this is a 2020 model with the fun overrun tune settings before they were removed by BMW):
. The only thing I'd note with this video is that, the m240 is slightly higher pitched overall than the m340 in the video, which I speculate is due to a slightly shorter exhaust?

Last edited by ILikeBimmers; 07-04-2023 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
Fidiman113.00
XC3LLR82062.50
      07-04-2023, 09:42 PM   #6
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
I've only been driving my car for less than a week, but i had mine installed on arrival. It's actually almost silent under around 1.7k RPM. It only really sings when you rev out the engine, and is most obvious when you're in sport individual (fun mode), but it will still there if you drive in comfort mode.

The M240 seems to be soundproofed almost too well, that the sound is still somewhat muted with the windows up.

The M Performance Exhaust's announces itself on cold start where it will may sound a little drone-y to some, but once the engine heats up in about 2 minutes at idle, or driving for less than a minute, it calms down to "silent".

The thing to note with the exhaust is that it really brings out the "mid" frequency range of your engine notes. On my 23' M240, it really accentuates both the raspy and musical notes of the B58. More agressive downshifts, and revving to high gear and lefting off the gas even seems to yield some crackles and pops here and there when the engine and exhuast warms up to the point your front grilles open up.

Overall the exhaust is louder compared to some of the stock M and M-lite cars I test drove initially. It's pricey so I'd prioritize performance oriented mods before this, but if you're looking to drive your car mostly stock, not throw your warranty out the window out of the gate, and have the spare cash, it's pretty nice. Even with sawing off the exhaust at the rear axle the car remains completely in warranty.

Also in my opinion this video best captures the sound of the M Performance Exhaust (minus the pops and crackles or [...]
I see what you mean by it sounding “raspy”. It definitely brings out the mid range sounds better.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:27 PM   #7
ScruffMcgruff
Rep
Drives: BMW 240i

Has anyone installed the M Performance exhaust with a AA down pipe? I ordered MY23 with the exhaust and I haven’t found anyone that has it with the down pipe. I’m a little torn after hearing the Dinan exhaust and may cancel mine. I’m just not a big fan of how far the tips stick out on the back with the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Feel ya on the dinan tips they looks pretty cheap and like they weren't meant to be for this car. Tad disappointed was planning on swapping the m performance for dinan so I could avoid the chinese ali express tips but alas looks like the bmw is getting chinese parts after all.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
Jeenius
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2022 Bmw M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Anyone installed this on the M240i?

Curious if it has drone on the highway, I’ve heard it doesn’t from what I read, but I want to hear actual owner opinion.
Did you get the MPE installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #10
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeenius View Post
Did you get the MPE installed?
No because my G87 M2 will be here in a couple months. If I was keeping my G42, I would’ve installed it.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #11
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

One of my local dealerships quoted this for the MPE. Does it retain the factory exhaust flap functionality?

The M Performance exhaust is $2,940, plus one clamp which is $81.48 and one more clamp which is $89.95. That’s for the parts, labour would be an additional one or two hours at the most @ $195 per hour

This is Canadian dollars...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #12
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
One of my local dealerships quoted this for the MPE. Does it retain the factory exhaust flap functionality?

The M Performance exhaust is $2,940, plus one clamp which is $81.48 and one more clamp which is $89.95. That’s for the parts, labour would be an additional one or two hours at the most @ $195 per hour

This is Canadian dollars...
Yes

Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      08-19-2023, 03:49 PM   #13
ScruffMcgruff
Rep

I would press them for a better price. I had mine installed at the port for 2,300.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      08-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #14
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffMcgruff View Post
I would press them for a better price. I had mine installed at the port for 2,300.
Which converts to a bit over $3200 CAD, assuming you paid $2300 USD.

I will see if they have any room to move. But at that price, a better option may be the Dinan exhaust, and just not use the large tips that it comes with (not my personal taste).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:44 AM   #15
ScruffMcgruff
Rep

Yup 2,300 USD. I’m not sure I’m happy with it as of right now. I heard it the other day when I went to pay, but I can tell you in comfort it was not very loud. This could be an ok scenario if adding the DP makes it louder in the end.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      08-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #16
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffMcgruff View Post
Yup 2,300 USD. I’m not sure I’m happy with it as of right now. I heard it the other day when I went to pay, but I can tell you in comfort it was not very loud. This could be an ok scenario if adding the DP makes it louder in the end.
Yeah buying this and then driving around in a mode with the exhaust flap closed in a huge waste of money. It's pretty obvious they designed this muffler to be muted around lower rpm and non sport modes.

If you have to drive around in mode like this, but still want sound I think your only options are to try and locate and pull the fuse associated with the exhaust flap, or delete the exhaust flap itself, as coding is not an option for our cars yet as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 03:43 PM   #17
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Had BMW MPE installed last week by dealership.
Took them a couple of hours.
Extremely happy with the sound but you got to rev it out in Sport + to really appreciate. I am not saying you need to redline it but above 3K it starts its journey and then all the way up to redline it sounds really sweet. To me sounds like a muscle car. It does crack and burble when you lift off gas.
I will say it comfort you notice it but barely.
Very happy with it.
Think as the car puts on miles (only 1200 now) it will even be better.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2023, 05:56 PM   #18
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayy View Post
Had BMW MPE installed last week by dealership.
Took them a couple of hours.
Extremely happy with the sound but you got to rev it out in Sport + to really appreciate. I am not saying you need to redline it but above 3K it starts its journey and then all the way up to redline it sounds really sweet. To me sounds like a muscle car. It does crack and burble when you lift off gas.
I will say it comfort you notice it but barely.
Very happy with it.
Think as the car puts on miles (only 1200 now) it will even be better.
I recently added the AA downpipe to my MPE and its like it leveled up. Highly recommend the combo.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 06:09 PM   #19
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
I recently added the AA downpipe to my MPE and its like it leveled up. Highly recommend the combo.
Any plans to add a valve controller to get that flap opened up 100%?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #20
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Any plans to add a valve controller to get that flap opened up 100%?
Honestly no after the downpipe don't really see the need. If anything with exhaust you can tone chase but I haven't heard any other 240s in person with an exhaust to say wow I like the tone of that a lot better. I'm very curious though to hear an FI exhaust.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      09-18-2023, 06:57 AM   #21
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

A downpipe add sounds like it can only improve things.

But my question is , short of that, how would you keep the valves open 100%? Is the valve controller easily modified to do that? I guess pulling the fuse as suggested is another option.

Will also consider downpipe add so thanks.

Again- to make clear- I am VERY happy with the upgrade but as always we all want more!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #22
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayy View Post
A downpipe add sounds like it can only improve things.

But my question is , short of that, how would you keep the valves open 100%? Is the valve controller easily modified to do that? I guess pulling the fuse as suggested is another option.

Will also consider downpipe add so thanks.

Again- to make clear- I am VERY happy with the upgrade but as always we all want more!
From what I understand, you need to install a valve controller unit if you would like to be able to manually control the function of the valve (override the default behavior of the valve when switching drive modes). A valve controller also opens the valve to 100% full open, whereas the valve only opens to around 80% by default.

Last edited by nype; 09-18-2023 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0