home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

07-16-2023, 08:38 PM   #1
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Various interior rattles with fixes

Here are various rattles with fixes that I encountered over my 7 month of ownership.

1. Rattle that sounded like a loose spring coming somewhere from the passenger area, perhaps the B-pillar seatbelt area as I originally thought. This was the first rattle I noticed when I took delivery of the car. You could hear it 80% of the time even just coasting on a smooth road. Isolated the sound by tapping on the passenger seabelt receptacle. The spring that keeps the red release button seemed to be misaligned inside. I gave it a few hard slaps hoping to realign the spring and it worked!

2. 1 month into ownership and about 800 miles a plastic on plastic creaking sound started coming from the driver side vent to the left of the iDrive 8 screen. It soon happened all the time when going over medium bumps. Finally isolated it the curved ID8 screen. I cut out a piece of 0.5" x 0.5" x 1" black rubber from a jackstand pad I got at Harbor Freight and wedged it behind the ID8 screen and dash. There's a small flat area right behind the curved screen where the eye tracking hardware would normally be. This fixed it.

3. 4 months into ownership a sound could be heard coming from the dash/HUD bezel area. It sounds like a small screw was loose and rattling around. This would happen when going over fairly rough roads on the freeway. After remove the HUD bezel, center channel grill, engine cowl, engine cover pieces with no luck I finally found the issue. It was a large plastic sticker from the factory under the headliner touching the metal roof. I found this out when I noticed the same rattling sound when closing the driver size sunvisor. I remove the sunvisor, pulled down the headliner a bit near the windshield and ripped off the sticker. This fixed the issue.

4. 5 months into ownership with ~3k miles the most annoying plastic creaking sound started coming from the rear deck. Within 2 weeks it would happen all the time going over the slightest road imperfection. I isolated it to the long plastic vent between the clothed rear deck and the rear window. If you grab the vent and push it towards the front of the car you can hear it creaking. I took apart the entire rear interior to get to that plastic vent. I used some 3mm thick closed cell foam from Resonix where the plastic vent touches the metal rear deck. This solved the issue.

Last edited by Coconut; 08-23-2023 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 7
JoeyJoeJo183.50
ZM240i171.00
jpf3409.00
Nate48150.00
ap2x21.00
      07-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
sAmstur
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i Xdrive

The thing that annoys me the most out of all the weird raddles i'll get in this car is when pulling on the driver side door to close it makes a sticking sound. It's hard to explain but its like there is some form of adhesive back there and unless its boiling hot outside it feels and sounds like you're ripping duct tape off (maybe not duct tape but you get the idea).
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      07-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAmstur View Post
The thing that annoys me the most out of all the weird raddles i'll get in this car is when pulling on the driver side door to close it makes a sticking sound. It's hard to explain but its like there is some form of adhesive back there and unless its boiling hot outside it feels and sounds like you're ripping duct tape off (maybe not duct tape but you get the idea).
Yes!! Almost like as if they stuck the door-pull onto the door with adhesive tape. Very non premium sound/experience. I’m thinking about taking apart the door card to fix that… shouldn’t have to do that on a car this expensive. I would expect this out of a twenty-teens GM product, not BMW

I have had 2 interior rattles. The front speaker with loud music + pumped in engine sound and the rear parcel shelf, here is my fix:
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2002040

I still love the car. Just wish we didn’t have to deal with petty bullshit like this on a premium brand vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #4
sAmstur
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i Xdrive

I've been thinking the same thing. If i wanted just a fast car i could've gone with many other options for this price point. I was honestly considering bringing it back to the dealership to be fixed. Do you think that's something they'd be able to fix under warranty or would they just tell me tough luck?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAmstur View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. If i wanted just a fast car i could've gone with many other options for this price point. I was honestly considering bringing it back to the dealership to be fixed. Do you think that's something they'd be able to fix under warranty or would they just tell me tough luck?
Really depends on the dealership or the shop foreman. It’s worth a shot tbh, even for just a check in / free oil change
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Pulling the door closed sounds like I'm squeezing Styrofoam. It's done it since day 1 and I assume it's sound deadening material in the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #7
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

Coconut was this the 3rd sound you had?

https://youtube.com/shorts/MRSsWZl5tlk?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1 View Post
Coconut was this the 3rd sound you had?

https://youtube.com/shorts/MRSsWZl5tlk?feature=share
No, the rear vent sounded more like plastic popping/breaking, like if you were to snap a plastic fork in half.
ap2x21.00