bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-07-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Talking xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune flashed! ('23 G42)

I couldn't resist any longer . Spent the whole night playing with it. Once you get it dialed in, the gears just flow one into the other the sound of the clutch packs dropping, the little upshift sneezes, the magnificent downshift roar . If you're like me and spend all your time banging through the gears it's just perfect. Shifting gears with xHP is PURE BLISS.

I really like the Stop-Go feature and the Take Off In 2nd Gear As Standard. The first gear is extremely torque-y and unlike a manual clutch where starting in 2nd would wear your clutch out more, it's much more comfortable to start in 2nd.

Now I went straight for Stage 3 and set the downshift agressive to +50% across the board like an absolute manaic b/c I wanted to see how bad it was. It seems that the first 4 shifts are VERY lurchy, it kind of feels like the car over-revs the car and then drops the clutch. I ended up with very conservative downshift for the first two gears, but I kept the rest of the higher gears near +50% as I didn't get any lurching but pure crispiness, except 4-5 which I dialed back a touch. If you want to know my values, lmk.

Torque reduction upshifts are VERY hard to tune. I tried doing -30% across the board to see if it would decrease shift time and it ended up making my shift ULTRA sluggish (EDIT: shifting scales to driving agressiveness I was wrong). In the end I went with +5% on a couple of them EDIT: +10% across the board causes audible upshift ignition cut sounds (upshift braaaap). Seemed to make the shifts even more crisp.

Was a bit stressful as there's the risk of fucking up your car if you don't follow the instructions. The problem is that the instructions are a bit outdated for the G series. There are instructions in the official guide and kies motorsports videos where they turn off radio, etc., turn off car that just don't match up.

There were two specific issues that came up for me:
  • iDrive update weirdness - somehow a new iDrive update had come through that made it so xHP reported the car as unsupported despite the VIN search yielding support. Within 1 hour of the business day xHP informed me that they had noticed this and patched the software accordingly and simply signing out/in again fixed this.
  • Flash failure - upon my first flash attempt the app reported that a failure had occurred, though this was before it actually attempted to flash the TCU. I simply tried again and was successful.
Airplane mode turned off my WiFi so I wasn't able to use that despite the xHP guide advising you to do so. EDIT: My dumbass didn't realize you can just turn on the WiFi after turning off airplane mode. For good measure I turn off bluetooth as well as my android device doesn't seem to turn off bluetooth with airplane mode.

Here was my method of flashing for the first time:

First time pre-flashing prep
  1. Pop hood connect battery charging whether it be a wall or external battery charger.
  2. Plug in MHD Red Universal Adapter
  3. In iDrive TURN OFF WIFI, as the BMW app loves to agressively force your WIFI to the BMW WIFI.
  4. Connect to the MHD Wifi
  5. Go to MHD app > Codes > read DME codes. The MHD app will offer to update your adapter firmware to the latest version
  6. Go back to xHP app and connect new car following the prompts
  7. Connect back to internet for the support check
  8. Once support check is finished reconnect to the MHD Wifi again

Preparing to flash the TCU
  1. Click on your (added) car profile
  2. click FLASH THIS CAR (*will actually take you to the pre-flash page)
  3. Real flash page with have a FLASH NOW button in RED. Select your stage and custom settings. DO NOT FLASH YET.
  4. Now we will attempt to reduce power draw of car as much as possible and prevent the car from turning off
  5. Close your doors (do not open until flash is done)
  6. Optional: Press off on lights button on button array left of steering wheel (mirrored if RHD)
  7. Optional: Climate control > Automatic Mode off, Turn off fan
  8. Plug in your seatbelt (do not remove until flash is done)
  9. Now we will make sure you don't get any phone calls and reduce interference to minimum
  10. Set airplane mode, or alternatively turn off Mobile data manually.
  11. Verify Mobile data > off
  12. Verify Bluetooth > off
  13. Double check BMW Wifi is turned off in iDrive settings as MyBMW app will constantly attempt to latch onto the BMW WiFi while this is active.
  14. Double check that you are on your MHD ENET WiFi or OBDII flasher of choice

Flashing process
  1. Click flash (big red)
  2. *Car will enter diagnostic mode
  3. *Angry gong noises
  4. *Drive train malfunction popup
  5. *Cross traffic malfunction popup
  6. *xHP takes backup of your TCU ~ 5 mins
  7. *xHP begins the first time flash ~ 10 mins
  8. *More Horrific gong noises mixed in with various sneezes and clicks
  9. *Drive train malfunction popup
  10. *Cross traffic malfunction popup
  11. *xHP clears all the fault codes
  12. *xHP indicates everything finished successfully
  13. Press start engine to leave diagnostic mode (foot not on brake)
  14. Optinal: hold volume button for 3 seconds to power down screens (don't hold too long i.e. > 30s or you'll reset iDrive instead). If you are still in diagnostic mode the screen will not power down pressing the volume button.
  15. Start your engine (foot on brake)
  16. Subsequent flashes only take 30-45 seconds
  17. Proceed to drive gently as car will take time to adapt to the tune.

One of the biggest risks to interrupting your flash is opening your door in the middle of it. Also capable of ruining your flash is a phone call. The default setting of iDrive is to power down the system when the door is opened. Having the seatbelt is supposed to also help mitigate the iDrive system powering down, though the xHP guys may have recommended this just to prevent you from opening the door and leaving your seat. You don't have to power down the AC and the lights, but it's a good precaution. Finally if the car has low battery xHP will NOT let you flash, and it's not a good idea to anyway.

Last edited by ILikeBimmers; 10-10-2023 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 12
viperx100627.50
Sonic RR118.50
XC3LLR82062.50
ap2x21.00
tom @ eas8222.50
Ruebarb375.00
RNigel21.00
G42M240135.50
VegasG42373.50
      08-07-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I've always wondered why it makes so many noises when flashing when there are no moving parts lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 05:34 PM   #3
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Nice write-up! I’ve really enjoyed xHP, and still need to experiment a little more when the temps cool down. The Torque Reduction Upshifts seems confusing as you would think “lowering reduction” would both lower turbo lag AND provide quicker shifts, but instructions are not as such.

Had I seen your 36 step process last year when I installed xHP, I probably would’ve chickened-out. My process is more like 6 steps, and even then it sometimes seems a little convoluted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      08-13-2023, 05:55 PM   #4
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Nice write-up! I’ve really enjoyed xHP, and still need to experiment a little more when the temps cool down. The Torque Reduction Upshifts seems confusing as you would think “lowering reduction” would both lower turbo lag AND provide quicker shifts, but instructions are not as such...
Was trying to make something as detailed as possible to NOT intimidate people . My intention was to make it as detailed as possible as to make an idiot proof guide for the G series.

As far as torque reduction, I've been continuing to fine tune my xHP settings (I'm on probably my 40th revision) and have found that decreasing (-) the torque reduction slider seems to make only a slight difference. The further confounding thing about this is that upshift agressiveness scales with driving agressiveness so you actually need to shift late to really notice the difference unless you're a maniac like me and drive exclusively in Sport Individual Manual mode and choose when to shift.

Personally I've increased the torque reduction slider (+) 5 for the first three gears, and + 10 for the rest, as with the ignition cut setting with stage 3, it seems that torque reduction really brings out the ignition cut (upshift braaap) sound. I've found that I can produce the ignition cut sound reliably by putting the hammer down and shifting as low as ~ 4K RPM.

Coincidentally it seems my car has been popping/banging/burbling a lot more after flashing xHP stage 3 and after a bunch of hard accelerations in "mexico" during my trans tune testing I managed to actually get a single gunshot pop when I was down-shifting.
Appreciate 3
XC3LLR82062.50
Sonic RR118.50
TJZ67201842.50
      08-13-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

I’d say most of my experimental time was spent on the Throttle Blip settings. Anything more than -5% and shifting from 3-2 and 2-1 at a light is just too obnoxious.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      08-13-2023, 09:53 PM   #6
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I’d say most of my experimental time was spent on the Throttle Blip settings. Anything more than -5% and shifting from 3-2 and 2-1 at a light is just too obnoxious.
I went with really aggressive downshifts cause I'm a madman 😂
1-2 +10
2-3 +15
3-4 +35
4-5 +40
6+~ +50

On a side note setting really aggressive downshifts for the higher gear feels really solid and buttery, just real smooth and very little lurch strangely enough. Honestly I would set my more aggressive if lurchiness wasn't an issue.

If you downshift as early as possible there's very little lurching even if you set it with more aggressive settings, but, it may not help with obnoxiousness since you're getting a monster rev-match .
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      08-13-2023, 10:01 PM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

I may try a more aggressive setting from 8th down to 4th. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      08-14-2023, 05:49 PM   #8
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

Do you have any videos where you can hear the downshifts/upshifts? Also how does the car feel when driving in comfort? I’m considering it
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      08-14-2023, 09:19 PM   #9
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2x View Post
Do you have any videos where you can hear the downshifts/upshifts? Also how does the car feel when driving in comfort? I’m considering it
Comfort is more comfort.
Appreciate 1
ap2x21.00
      08-14-2023, 10:16 PM   #10
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, I've been driving everywhere in sport individual and in manual mode since day 1... 😂 so I got no clue how the car is supposed to feel in any other mode . All the videos I've watched prior to this mentioned they preferred the xHP shifts in comfort even in stage 3.

If top comfort is a priority for you the best option is going to be fine tuning the settings yourself. Once you've flashed for the first time you can flash fine tune changes very quickly. I've gone through like 40 revisions myself, with the majority of those flashed on the side of the road lol. There is ABSOLUTELY a customized set of settings you could find if you put the time in to find your sweet spot.

I might try and pull some footage and sound from my dashcam or something, but I have an M-Performance exhaust so it's going to sound better than stock.
Appreciate 2
Ruebarb375.00
Sonic RR118.50
      08-14-2023, 10:29 PM   #11
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
Sorry, I've been driving everywhere in sport individual and in manual mode since day 1... 😂 so I got no clue how the car is supposed to feel in any other mode . All the videos I've watched prior to this mentioned they preferred the xHP shifts in comfort even in stage 3.

If top comfort is a priority for you the best option is going to be fine tuning the settings yourself. Once you've flashed for the first time you can flash fine tune changes very quickly. I've gone through like 40 revisions myself, with the majority of those flashed on the side of the road lol. There is ABSOLUTELY a customized set of settings you could find if you put the time in to find your sweet spot.

I might try and pull some footage and sound from my dashcam or something, but I have an M-Performance exhaust so it's going to sound better than stock.
Lol yeah I rarely ever drive in comfort either just wanted to make sure the shifts won’t be way too aggressive in comfort so that’s fine. If you can post a vid whenever you can that’d be great, I also have an exhaust and downpipe so it should give me a better idea
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:10 AM   #12
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

While there are changes by default in comfort mode you would be hard pressed to notice much difference. It’s still very comfortable. The aggressive shifts really only happen in full throttle, sport mode, and manual.
Appreciate 1
ap2x21.00
      08-15-2023, 11:56 AM   #13
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
While there are changes by default in comfort mode you would be hard pressed to notice much difference. It’s still very comfortable. The aggressive shifts really only happen in full throttle, sport mode, and manual.
I put the car in Comfort this morning, which is very rare, and everything's just so relaxed with no drama. I'm sure the changes were minor, but I think noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:22 PM   #14
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol yeah I rarely ever drive in comfort either just wanted to make sure the shifts won’t be way too aggressive in comfort so that’s fine. If you can post a vid whenever you can that’d be great, I also have an exhaust and downpipe so it should give me a better idea
So I tried to get some footage but the sound just really wasn't captured by the mic on either my dash or my phone. I think the best to get an idea of it would be this or this. I think the second clip matches what is sounds like better though he's running a catless with that setup so it's a little raspier than usual.

I mean if you're on the fence, it's totally worth it. I guarantee your car won't sound worse with it.
Appreciate 2
ap2x21.00
Sonic RR118.50
      08-15-2023, 02:32 PM   #15
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
So I tried to get some footage but the sound just really wasn't captured by the mic on either my dash or my phone. I think the best to get an idea of it would be this or this. I think the second clip matches what is sounds like better though he's running a catless with that setup so it's a little raspier than usual.

I mean if you're on the fence, it's totally worth it. I guarantee your car won't sound worse with it.
does xHP affect downshift sounds? the 1st video mentioned it but I don't think it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #16
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
does xHP affect downshift sounds? the 1st video mentioned it but I don't think it does.
It seems that it blips the throttle more aggressively and you can configure it further in the throttle blips custom settings. So in that sense the downshift sound is changed in aggressiveness.

xHP essentially increases the aggressiveness of the rev match when shifting down.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      10-03-2023, 06:32 PM   #17
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep

Has anybody experimented with xhp custom launch control and take off in 2nd gear? Wondering if adjusting them improves times
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #18
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Sorry I’m a noob, but what exactly is this, an actual flashable tune? Couldn’t seem to locate using google, anyone have a link?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #19
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Sorry I’m a noob, but what exactly is this, an actual flashable tune? Couldn’t seem to locate using google, anyone have a link?
It's a flash tune for your TCU system that effects your shifting and enables certain features associated with your transmission e.g. ignition cut. Not sure how Google missed it as xHP's official website is the first result when searching for the term "xHP" https://www.xhpflashtool.com

See more detailed information about features and specifications here: https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...ages/12058758/
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:46 PM   #20
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Has anybody experimented with xhp custom launch control and take off in 2nd gear? Wondering if adjusting them improves times
I have the custom launch control setting customized but I haven't really used it yet. The take off in 2nd gear would probably only help from a performance aspect in a RWD m240. Even then seems like the torque limiters would be more useful for that scenario.

I have it enabled for gas savings reasons as to keep the car in 2nd gear by default when at stops etc. I drive in manual mode so shifting into 1st is a conscious choice for me and usually involves spirited driving in "Mexico".
Appreciate 1
ap2x21.00
      10-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #21
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the custom launch control setting customized but I haven't really used it yet. The take off in 2nd gear would probably only help from a performance aspect in a RWD m240. Even then seems like the torque limiters would be more useful for that scenario.

I have it enabled for gas savings reasons as to keep the car in 2nd gear by default when at stops etc. I drive in manual mode so shifting into 1st is a conscious choice for me and usually involves spirited driving in "Mexico".
Thanks. Flashing stage 3 in a couple days
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:43 PM   #22
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

My dyslexic ass was looking for X-PH lol thanks, gonna check this out
Appreciate 0