bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
elitewildfire
Rep
Drives: G42 BMW M240i

Pure850 and PI on stock ECU on G42

I am considering upgrading upgrading to pure850 and installing a port injection on a stock ECU. Currently the FEMTO route is a pain in my country and dealers often update cars which resets ecu back to stock.

Will installing hybrid turbo and PI pose any kind of danger to the engine or will this setup run well as a temporary measure?

I am planning to use a Motiv Reflex controller for the Port Injection.

Currently I am also running jb4 with a custom map6, intake and downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 08:14 PM   #2
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
I don't think you can install a CAN bus integrated port injection kit into your car and have it work at the moment. Would love to be proved wrong though .

I like you am also thinking about doing manifold port injection to pair with 100% E85. From my research, it looks like you're probably not going to be able to run ECU aware port injection without a tune which is currently impossible without a bench unlock (FEMTO) which you seem more than familiar with. As far as I know JB4 piggyback modules are not able to coordinate port injection with the ECU, but obviously a more knowledable member with better knowledge of piggy-back modules can fact check me here.

I also believe our cars are do not come with the hybrid tubro feature if I recall correctly, but you may want to fact check me on this as well.

I think there may be some port injection kits there are "dumb" where they will just dump fuel behind your intake valves without any knowledge of the engine, but I personally would rather have one that integrates with your ECU controller due to some of the obvious risks, downsides, and lack of logging information.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 02:06 AM   #3
elitewildfire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
I don't think you can install a CAN bus integrated port injection kit into your car and have it work at the moment. Would love to be proved wrong though .

I like you am also thinking about doing manifold port injection to pair with 100% E85. From my research, it looks like you're probably not going to be able to run ECU aware port injection without a tune which is currently impossible without a bench unlock (FEMTO) which you seem more than familiar with. As far as I know JB4 piggyback modules are not able to coordinate port injection with the ECU, but obviously a more knowledable member with better knowledge of piggy-back modules can fact check me here.

I also believe our cars are do not come with the hybrid tubro feature if I recall correctly, but you may want to fact check me on this as well.

I think there may be some port injection kits there are "dumb" where they will just dump fuel behind your intake valves without any knowledge of the engine, but I personally would rather have one that integrates with your ECU controller due to some of the obvious risks, downsides, and lack of logging information.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah at some point I wanted to take that chance where I blindly inject just enough fuel not to max out my trims due to a bigger turbo. And like meth injection fueling, I was counting on the ECU to sense that it is running lean and pull fuel as necessary but now that we are talking about it, not sure this will be such a great idea

You also mentioned our cars do not come with hybrid turbo feature, what do you mean by that?

Last edited by elitewildfire; 08-10-2023 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #4
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitewildfire View Post
You also mentioned our cars do not come with hybrid turbo feature, what do you mean by that?
From my understanding the hybrid turbo feature in certain BMW cars is similar to F1 tech where an electric motor powered by the battery helps to spool the turbo to reduce turbo lag. What I meant was there isn't a way to "turn this on" as it seems like a hardware feature.

So with that in mind if you wanted something like that you'd have to figure out how to install an electric motor to your turbo and likely even more CAN bus integration. I haven't heard anyone able to do this yet, much less a kit, but if you could it would be pretty cool especially if you eventually upgraded the size of your turbo where twin scroll tech wouldn't be able to help as much.

Also with meth fueling I beleive it's possible to do dumb injection via an after market charge pipe. I believe the VSRF charge pipe has this. This would be a lot easier to control as meth injection would help to keep the temps down, but methanol creates caustic substances like formaldehyde and acids that wear down your engine at a much greater rate, and is the reason I'm going with E85 which is a solvent that can clean your engine while being more knock resistant.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
elitewildfire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
From my understanding the hybrid turbo feature in certain BMW cars is similar to F1 tech where an electric motor powered by the battery helps to spool the turbo to reduce turbo lag. What I meant was there isn't a way to "turn this on" as it seems like a hardware feature.

So with that in mind if you wanted something like that you'd have to figure out how to install an electric motor to your turbo and likely even more CAN bus integration. I haven't heard anyone able to do this yet, much less a kit, but if you could it would be pretty cool especially if you eventually upgraded the size of your turbo where twin scroll tech wouldn't be able to help as much.
Oh no, in this context hybrid just means a turbo with a stock casing but bigger turbines. This includes turbos like Pure, GC+, etc
Appreciate 0