Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques Laptimers, Data Loggers & Driving Optimizers

08-20-2023, 12:37 AM   #1
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thought I’d start a thread for us fellow G20 who track and/or have experience with some sort of lap timer, data logger or driving optimizer.

As per my conversation with Chrispy earlier, for simplicity and plug & play ease, I’ll probably be picking up a Garmin Catalst to perform lap timing and instruction on optimizing my driving at the track. There is a package on Amazon that includes ear buds, so that’s super convenient since I normally can’t hear much with windows down.

I’ll also probably remain using my GoPro as a secondary camera to film my bodily movements and ensure my head positioning is always looking to where I want to go, lol.

Anyone else have feedback on a particular lap timer or optimizer? Please share your thoughts, opinion and/or experience.
      08-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #2
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

My brother-in-law swears by his Catalyst. He said it is easy to use, provided easy to understand and accurate data. I have also read a lot of really good reviews of it.
Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50
      08-24-2023, 01:52 AM   #3
randomserious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Had my first hpde last weekend (Sonoma) and brought a Racebox Pro. I really like the color display with sectors but post-session analysis felt somewhat limited (the graphs only show speed and G forces). The app is convenient but it's not really configurable. No CAN-bus integration which is why I'm looking to return/sell it and get a Racebox Mini instead which gives me the drag timer as well as GPS device for Racechrono.

I also had Racechrono running on my phone stashed away in the middle console. While it may not be as pretty, the dashboard and integrations are awesome. Can connect various external devices including heartrate monitors. I now ordered a <$10 ELM327 obd2 connector which will supposedly provide throttle and temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 08:05 AM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bray View Post
Had my first hpde last weekend (Sonoma) and brought a Racebox Pro. I really like the color display with sectors but post-session analysis felt somewhat limited (the graphs only show speed and G forces). The app is convenient but it's not really configurable. No CAN-bus integration which is why I'm looking to return/sell it and get a Racebox Mini instead which gives me the drag timer as well as GPS device for Racechrono.

I also had Racechrono running on my phone stashed away in the middle console. While it may not be as pretty, the dashboard and integrations are awesome. Can connect various external devices including heartrate monitors. I now ordered a <$10 ELM327 obd2 connector which will supposedly provide throttle and temps.
I love Sonoma! Probably one of my favorite tracks of all time in California. Which group did you track with?
Race box is a potential candidate as it has more real time data than the catalyst from what I’ve read.
I’ll be at Thunderhill next week with Speed SF.
      09-08-2023, 01:19 AM   #5
randomserious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I love Sonoma! Probably one of my favorite tracks of all time in California. Which group did you track with?
Race box is a potential candidate as it has more real time data than the catalyst from what I’ve read.
I’ll be at Thunderhill next week with Speed SF.
I'll be at Thunderhill end of September with GGC! Sonoma was with Nasa in group 1 as it was my first hpde. Didn't get much open track but by the end of the day I started feeling confident, was cleared for solo driving. I do practice in sim which helps a lot for prep.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:23 AM   #6
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll be at Thunderhill end of September with GGC! Sonoma was with Nasa in group 1 as it was my first hpde. Didn't get much open track but by the end of the day I started feeling confident, was cleared for solo driving. I do practice in sim which helps a lot for prep.
Nice! My buddy Thiago in the Blue M340i will be there as well. I couldn’t quite make it this time to Thunderhill at end of September with GGC since I’ll be in South Dakota for a work trip. Have fun and hope you get paired with a great instructor
      09-10-2023, 11:17 PM   #7
randomserious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Nice! My buddy Thiago in the Blue M340i will be there as well. I couldn’t quite make it this time to Thunderhill at end of September with GGC since I’ll be in South Dakota for a work trip. Have fun and hope you get paired with a great instructor
you doing speedsf September 16 at Sonoma? I'll be at the autocross event (not hpde)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 04:32 AM   #8
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
you doing speedsf September 16 at Sonoma? I'll be at the autocross event (not hpde)
I am not going to Sonoma, which I am quite sad about since I live within 20 mins and it’s my favorite track to date. I don’t think I’ll have time to track again until November/December.