F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 rebuild
Extreme Powerhouse

08-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #1
Bru_matt
Rep
Drives: M140i

B58 rebuild

Hi guys, I am planning to tune my m140i since it just got out if warranty.
I was trying to figure out all the cost that could show up in the future in case of an engine failure... while I was trying to figure out the costs I notice that some people stated that the b58 engine cannot be rehoned and sleeved.
The problem is that going down the road of buying a new block sadly its not a possibility for me....
I asked my mechaning to quote me how much would be to rebuild the engine and he gave ge quite a good number (seems like a good deal) but it would be his first b58 rebuild...
So I was thinking that he might threats the b58 as a normal engine not taking in consideration the LDS.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
Nickski06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

If your so concerned that just because you tune your car you think it’s going to blow up, maybe tuning isn’t for you. You joined and have just 3 posts and all are about rebuilding your engine. If you truly think the B58 engine is prone to blowing up just because of a tune, you should probably just not do it, you’ll sleep better at night.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
HM-2
Needs more boost.
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Stage 1 mapping via something like BM3 is basically idiot proof. If you somehow manage to break something it most likely won't require an engine rebuild anyway.
      08-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
Bru_matt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickski06 View Post
If your so concerned that just because you tune your car you think it’s going to blow up, maybe tuning isn’t for you. You joined and have just 3 posts and all are about rebuilding your engine. If you truly think the B58 engine is prone to blowing up just because of a tune, you should probably just not do it, you’ll sleep better at night.
I thank you for your answer, and you are probably right about sleeping better... I come from a Subaru WRX where I did stage 1, 2 and 3. Engine blew up once and I had to really dig in my pockets....

Now I am just trying to figure out some numbers about the rebuild cost.

Most importantly I am trying to understand what can be done to the engine itself, more precisly if its truly possible to rehone and sleeve the cylinders, instead of buying a whole new block.

Also I wanted to double check if more experienced users could guide me through by telling me if my mechaning is telling me bs about the rebuild...

I really want to prevent as many headache as possible, while still being able to tune the car, starting with an MHD stage 1 and maybe later a stage 2
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
Bru_matt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM-2 View Post
Stage 1 mapping via something like BM3 is basically idiot proof. If you somehow manage to break something it most likely won't require an engine rebuild anyway.
thanks for the reply, this comment is really settling, I am coming from a car *cough* WRX STI where even stage 1 is risky....

I pulled the trigger on the b58 after seeing some reliability articles and also due the fact that I needed a hatch
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

You are mixing things. You can't rehone the cylinder walls, you HAVE to sleeve them. But the only reason to do that is if you are trying to run 700+hp.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:27 AM   #7
Bru_matt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
You are mixing things. You can't rehone the cylinder walls, you HAVE to sleeve them. But the only reason to do that is if you are trying to run 700+hp.
Oh ok thank you so much, now I am starting to get it. but why do some people say its not possible to sleeve the b58?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:01 AM   #8
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru_matt View Post
Hi guys, I am planning to tune my m140i since it just got out if warranty.
I was trying to figure out all the cost that could show up in the future in case of an engine failure... while I was trying to figure out the costs I notice that some people stated that the b58 engine cannot be rehoned and sleeved.
The problem is that going down the road of buying a new block sadly its not a possibility for me....
I asked my mechaning to quote me how much would be to rebuild the engine and he gave ge quite a good number (seems like a good deal) but it would be his first b58 rebuild...
So I was thinking that he might threats the b58 as a normal engine not taking in consideration the LDS.

Thanks for the help
3 words: pay to play. If you can't afford to pay, don't play the modification game. Also, WRX's and STi's are trash without MAJOR work lol.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 06:40 AM   #9
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru_matt View Post
Oh ok thank you so much, now I am starting to get it. but why do some people say its not possible to sleeve the b58?
Because they don't understand the B58. Commercially available options:
https://www.p2uned.com/product-page/b58-sleeved-block
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mobile/vac-motorsports-block-sleeving-service-bmwtoyota-b58-p5298.aspx

Link to this forum from a Google search
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901521
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:06 AM   #10
Nickski06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Did you ever post what you're planning on doing to the car? If you're just going with a stage 1 or 2 OTS tune and maybe a downpipe, don't even waste your time researching rebuilding it.

Now if you're plan is 800-1000 hp build, that's another story.
Appreciate 0