BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-27-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Harry Metcalfe reviews the M3 CS

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

I agree with him on the looks. The CS’s details are not for me. I much prefer the standard car’s looks especially with the carbon pack. The wheels, the red accents, the carbon stripes, the extended splitter. It’s just too busy for me.

But other than it looking too fussy and a lack of steering feel did he have any complaints? Nope. He really loves the way the car drives, just as he had with the touring. And his opinion on the buckets is spot on. They are super comfortable and really good but a chore to live with and not very Missus friendly. If you can live with that, as those who have them have repeatedly said, they are worth it.

I do wish the looks were just a LITTLE less fussy overall; then I think the Cs’s details wouldn’t be so brutal.

The G8X is going to go down as one of the best M3’s ever. Certainly the best driver’s car.
Appreciate 1
somer972.00
      08-27-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

But no cup holders?!
      08-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
But no cup holders?!
Yeah very questionable weight savings. Better to ditch the charging pad and keep the cup holders.

Another reason I prefer the standard car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 03:17 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
But no cup holders?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah very questionable weight savings. Better to ditch the charging pad and keep the cup holders.

well, with the CS centre console also comes rear HVAC delete which saves some weight in addition to the CF console itself.

though indeed, when driving assistant and power tailgate are on board of this 'lightweight' variant, one wonders whether the real reason for the centre console wasn't just ///Marketing.

everyone's pressed about the cup holder situation when no one's discussing the lack of rear HVAC - I find it to be much worse for road-tripping than not being able to sip chai latte. unless of course you drive two up only and never have rear passengers.

on the other hand, as the seats go very low, I actually welcomed the armrest delete... more room for my elbow when turning the steering wheel.
      08-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
But no cup holders?!
Interesting complaint I have heard so many times.
I allow water bottles in my car (you can keep them in the door pocket). There is NO freiking way I would allow to any of my passengers to bring in a cup of soda or tea or whatever else.
I would not even notice if the cup holders were missing.

As pointed out in the OP, the paint scheme is not for me though. Don't like that two tone hood, that lip sticking out, red stuff...

And...if it only came with the 6MT, I'd be set for a while...
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
Interesting complaint I have heard so many times.
I allow water bottles in my car (you can keep them in the door pocket). There is NO freiking way I would allow to any of my passengers to bring in a cup of soda or tea or whatever else.
I would not even notice if the cup holders were missing.

As pointed out in the OP, the paint scheme is not for me though. Don't like that two tone hood, that lip sticking out, red stuff...

And...if it only came with the 6MT, I'd be set for a while...
Totally on the opposite side of the cup here. My car is my daily. If I can't sit in my car with a cup of coffee and read a book, it isn't the car for me. 3+ years of working from home really solidified this concept. The drive from work that used to reset my brain from work mode to home mode was lost and 3 days out of 5 I end up going out after work to do that reset. If I have grocery shopping and errands to run, that's great, but more often than not I'm just driving to a random destination, getting something to drink (decaf since its after work), and reading a book for twenty minutes or a half hour. And then I drive home.

Considering that I grew up long before drink holders were common in cars, I find it hilarious that I now consider them required. When I think about it, I'd been driving for 15 or 16 years before I got a car that came standard with the things (2002 RSX-S...my first drink holder car).

Even as an occasional-use car, I'd think twice about the CS because of this stupid thing.

We all have an utterly ridiculous hill that we're willing to die on, and this is my dumb hill.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6785.00
      08-27-2023, 09:51 PM   #7
Evinrude1975
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

That front plate doesn’t help at all. Plus I don’t see the yellow led daylights.

I’m happy without the cupholder.. nothing to spill.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 11:30 PM   #8
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I thought Harry did a fine job on this review. As others have said, because of the cumbersome carbon buckets and no cup holders this is better as a second car or fun weekend vehicle.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 02:04 AM   #9
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Always liked Harry's reviews - some thoughtful commentary and more interesting than some others. CS definitely a weekend / second car. I am not sure I'd have the guts to run one as a daily driver!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
Always liked Harry's reviews - some thoughtful commentary and more interesting than some others. CS definitely a weekend / second car. I am not sure I'd have the guts to run one as a daily driver!
Harry is fantastic. I think that his steady, realistic, enthusiastic and thoughtful manner really must have set the stage to make Evo what it was (and maybe still is?) back in the day. I had no idea of that, all I knew was that he was the founder, but now that he's on the YouTubes, especially his farming videos, it's very clear to me that his demeanor really shaped how Evo was presented. I can see that now reflected in the works I read 20-ish years ago (YIKES!)

I agree with the poster above, cupholders are a must for me on my daily. I've had LONG commutes in which drinking coffee was an absolute necessity but these days on my short commute, it's just to bring the coffee in to work. I suppose I could do a non-sippy cup (hah) and just chuck it in the door bin but thankfully that's not necessary.

I think the CS IS still viable as a daily. Even Harry mentions much of the time just how livable it is. If you can get over the buckets (pun intended) and deal with the cupholders, it's absolutely no worse than a standard M3CX by the sound of it. Maybe just a TOUCH more raw...I would like to find out for myself one day. But definitely livable.

Harry's yardstick for this car is no doubt his Project 8...a car I should have bought when they were available here and not crazy pants. By all means it's a nasty bugger but yet still livable. Would have been nice to experience it for free..ride the appreciation curve.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #11
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Gotta love the youtube comments.

"thanks for telling it like it is"

Maybe people actually like the looks? I do. Certainly not enough to pay a $20-30k premium, but I do like them.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Gotta love the youtube comments.

"thanks for telling it like it is"

Maybe people actually like the looks? I do. Certainly not enough to pay a $20-30k premium, but I do like them.
Comments are SO predictable. People looking for validation on hating the car. LOLZ.

He really only has an issue with the CS's fussy details. If you watch his previous reviews on the Touring and RWD, I don't think he's got TOO much of an issue with the styling overall. I don't think he'd call it beautiful and elegant, but even those of us who do like it probably wouldn't either.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 02:22 PM   #13
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Totally on the opposite side of the cup here. My car is my daily. If I can't sit in my car with a cup of coffee and read a book, it isn't the car for me. 3+ years of working from home really solidified this concept. The drive from work that used to reset my brain from work mode to home mode was lost and 3 days out of 5 I end up going out after work to do that reset. If I have grocery shopping and errands to run, that's great, but more often than not I'm just driving to a random destination, getting something to drink (decaf since its after work), and reading a book for twenty minutes or a half hour. And then I drive home.

Considering that I grew up long before drink holders were common in cars, I find it hilarious that I now consider them required. When I think about it, I'd been driving for 15 or 16 years before I got a car that came standard with the things (2002 RSX-S...my first drink holder car).

Even as an occasional-use car, I'd think twice about the CS because of this stupid thing.

We all have an utterly ridiculous hill that we're willing to die on, and this is my dumb hill.
Read a book? Are you being driven to work?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #14
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

It’s a great review, he’s right on the money.

The CS is pretty ugly looking if we are honest. The exposed carbon, the front lip and the red around the grill are trying a bit too hard. I much prefer the look of the standard comp with a few tasteful bits added. Even the comp wheels are nicer
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 02:03 PM   #15
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
though indeed, when driving assistant and power tailgate are on board of this 'lightweight' variant, one wonders whether the real reason for the centre console wasn't just ///Marketing.
There is no driving assistance professional on the CS, there is also no parking assistance package on the CS. You get a rearview camera.

The F80 CS had no comfort access, a single zone climate control, BUT had power rear sunshade and manual side sunshades.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 02:52 PM   #16
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
???Cup Holders???

Quote:
But no cup holders?!
Has cup holders in the door and there are these amazing devices called thermos'. Some are sleek, keep drinks hot or cold and have sealed caps. Boom, no cup holder issue...
2023 M3 CS BSM / Gold Wheels / Red Steel Brakes - daily || 2020 M5C Verde Ermes Pearl Individual / Full Tartufo - sold at asking price || 2020 M5C Singapore Gray/Aragon Brown - in memoriam (totaled) || 2017 X5M Donington/Criollo Brown - Full Dinan Package - retired || 2007 and 2014 GC SRT - retired || 2004 M3 E46 Convertible Estoril Blue/Red - retired || 2002 745Li Kalahari Beige / Beige - retired || 2000 X5 3.0i manual (first BMW and retired)
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #17
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOne_322 View Post
Has cup holders in the door and there are these amazing devices called thermos'. Some are sleek, keep drinks hot or cold and have sealed caps. Boom, no cup holder issue...
THe thing that gets me is that they deleted the cupholders. OK. But then they left the freaking phone overheating pad. Excuse me, I mean wireless charger. When you can always plus the phone in.

Odd choice that...why not just mold a place for phones and no wireless charger and be done with it. For the phone as key?
Appreciate 2
WWM3986.00
      08-29-2023, 08:52 PM   #18
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Balanced, as per typical, by Harry.

In the era where engine performance is as easy as a tune, it seems as though BMW is trying to find ways to differentiate (sell more) M3s.

The CS is quiet the car. Certainly not for everyone but still pretty awesome.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #19
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOne_322 View Post
That doesn’t help anyone with kids picking up a happy meal. Or, picking up a coffee on the way to work. To add insult to injury they kept the worthless and heavier phone charger instead. Pure stupidity.
      08-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #20
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I don’t get the omission of the cup holders. I had them in my M2 CS and used them often. I mean they are literally holes, how much can they actually weigh? Given how much weight they’ve put on in these cars, you’d think there are better weight savings to be found elsewhere.

It makes me think these very obvious omissions aren’t really functional, but rather psychological - to make you feel that weight saving is one of the things you’re paying for. I’m getting a 992 T next year and they’ve implemented light weight glass to save 3kg - while managing to keep the cup holders.
Appreciate 2
kgelfen3602269.50
WWM3986.00
      08-30-2023, 10:47 PM   #21
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I don’t get the omission of the cup holders. I had them in my M2 CS and used them often. I mean they are literally holes, how much can they actually weigh? Given how much weight they’ve put on in these cars, you’d think there are better weight savings to be found elsewhere.

It makes me think these very obvious omissions aren’t really functional, but rather psychological - to make you feel that weight saving is one of the things you’re paying for. I’m getting a 992 T next year and they’ve implemented light weight glass to save 3kg - while managing to keep the cup holders.
Yea I agree with you. It’s marketing tactics. As if no cup holders means track car primarily.
I like the car overall but I personally don’t think it’s enough to buy over Comp, of course someone with more cash might think otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 01:14 PM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

I would think there would be some way to retrofit cup holders, I hope.
Appreciate 0