BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-11-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
ftjack
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2 (in production)

Rear brake caliper clip fell off on its own

So there were discussions about new M2’s missing these rear brake caliper clip (see attached photo for what it is). Apparently a lot of people including myself didn’t get it with our M2s. I brought my M2 to service, and they ordered two for me at no cost on my end, though it costs $50 each in their system.

I haven’t driven too much since then, and yesterday I hear a bang out of nowhere when driving on highway. When I eventually parked the car and took a look, I found the clip on the right caliper was missing. So the bang I heard must come from it falling off and hitting the wheel. The clip itself is made of steel, but it is thin and light. Luckily it didn’t cause any damage (at least I didn’t see any after a pretty close look).

My CA has sent me pictures of newly arrived M2s, and they don’t have them on either. So I now think it is normal not having them. And I do not plan to buy a new one. Actually I took off the one on left.

Not sure whether anyone else had this happened to them. Take my case as a head up for you guys that the clips tend to fall off on its own 😂. (I was afraid that it might do so by the way it clipping on.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 08:54 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I would think you could bend the clip a bit so that it snaps in with more tension so it doesn't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:01 PM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I would think you could bend the clip a bit so that it snaps in with more tension so it doesn't fall off.

My car came without them. Are they functional or a reason to have them or purely for aesthetics?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
My car came without them. Are they functional or a reason to have them or purely for aesthetics?
I believe they are just for aesthetics but being that the rears are just iron cast floating calipers they can use all the help that they can get when it comes to aesthetics.
Appreciate 5
baron951703.50
M2siast5876.00
dagoban152.50
BimmerFix1390.50
      09-11-2023, 10:02 PM   #5
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I believe they are just for aesthetics but being that the rears are just iron cast floating calipers they can use all the help that they can get when it comes to aesthetics.

Appreciate 0