ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535 x-drive

Garage List
M3/M4 Tune on G87 M2

Hey Gang -

I’m new to this whole tuning thing so apologies if this is a dumb question.

If I had a good relationship with a BMW tech and he/she were to tune or flash my G87 with G80/82 tune/map, would that be considered (or even noticed) as a warranty voiding circumstance? I’m not even sure if this is possible (hence the newb question).

I don’t really think the car needs more power, but curious for if/when I want a little bump.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #2
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojp5q View Post
Hey Gang -

I’m new to this whole tuning thing so apologies if this is a dumb question.

If I had a good relationship with a BMW tech and he/she were to tune or flash my G87 with G80/82 tune/map, would that be considered (or even noticed) as a warranty voiding circumstance? I’m not even sure if this is possible (hence the newb question).

I don’t really think the car needs more power, but curious for if/when I want a little bump.

Thanks!

First, in short, no (the G80/82/87 are all basically the same).

To be able to tune the G87 (or G80/82), the ECU needs to be unlocked. A tech cannot do this. The ECU would need to be sent to Femto in Finland. Once this is done, the car can be tuned. This would have to be done by a reputable tuner (again, not a dealership tech). You then need to decide do you want to go stage 1 or stage 2 on the tune (and the car would need to be built/modified accordingly).

Any modification to the ECU (ie a tune), no matter who does it, would void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535 x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
First, in short, no (the G80/82/87 are all basically the same).

To be able to tune the G87 (or G80/82), the ECU needs to be unlocked. A tech cannot do this. The ECU would need to be sent to Femto in Finland. Once this is done, the car can be tuned. This would have to be done by a reputable tuner (again, not a dealership tech). You then need to decide do you want to go stage 1 or stage 2 on the tune (and the car would need to be built/modified accordingly).

Any modification to the ECU (ie a tune), no matter who does it, would void the warranty.
Got it! That makes sense. My simple mind just thought: same engine as the M3/4, quick slap on the keyboard during maintenance and the M2 could be on the same map (even a competition tune). Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0