home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

11-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Instrument cluster goes blank

I just wanted to add this to the "potential issue" database.

I have had my M2 for 3 days now and just did the update on friday/saturday. Today, on driving away, my whole instrument cluster went blank. I was not anywhere I could stop, so I just made my journey without the speedo and tach functions.

In my mind this is pretty dangerous. On "glass cockpit" planes, losing a display is a big no-no. Should be the same on cars, in my opinion! An internet search shows that G and even some F-series cars have been having this issue from as early as 2020.

I will let you know what the dealer says!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
c1pher4902.50
DSTR1408.50
      11-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
I just wanted to add this to the "potential issue" database.

I have had my M2 for 3 days now and just did the update on friday/saturday. Today, on driving away, my whole instrument cluster went blank. I was not anywhere I could stop, so I just made my journey without the speedo and tach functions.

In my mind this is pretty dangerous. On "glass cockpit" planes, losing a display is a big no-no. Should be the same on cars, in my opinion! An internet search shows that G and even some F-series cars have been having this issue from as early as 2020.

I will let you know what the dealer says!

I assume you tried resetting? Does your radio work and can you see that?

Once you turn car off, wait for a while (an hour?) and go start up again and see if anything is back.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4902.50
      11-05-2023, 04:54 PM   #3
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Yup, tried a few things. The reset only effected the iDrive portion of the system and made no change to the underlying system that runs the critical OS portion. I did the "turn off car, lock doors and leave" thing and it worked when I turned it back on.

My research showed that out of those who experienced this, there were 2 camps: 1) the glitch was software and either having the dealer restore or update fixed issue and 2) that did not work and they determined that the panel was faulty, requiring replacement.

There were varying levels of success before squashing the issue. But as one post mentioned, the cars are less safe when the driver loses all that info. One guy even chose to have BMW tow his car. (seemed a bit much to me tho!)
Appreciate 3
c1pher4902.50
      11-05-2023, 06:50 PM   #4
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
Yup, tried a few things. The reset only effected the iDrive portion of the system and made no change to the underlying system that runs the critical OS portion. I did the "turn off car, lock doors and leave" thing and it worked when I turned it back on.

My research showed that out of those who experienced this, there were 2 camps: 1) the glitch was software and either having the dealer restore or update fixed issue and 2) that did not work and they determined that the panel was faulty, requiring replacement.

There were varying levels of success before squashing the issue. But as one post mentioned, the cars are less safe when the driver loses all that info. One guy even chose to have BMW tow his car. (seemed a bit much to me tho!)

Glad its back and working. It happened once on my MY23 M240 nine months ago and the turn car off and wait fixed it and no issues since.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4902.50
      11-06-2023, 09:41 AM   #5
DomMuc
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

connector on right side under dash might be loose/ not connected all the way

Last edited by DomMuc; 11-06-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
DSTR1408.50
LCDRJohn621.00
      11-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Definitely not common, and I don't think you can do much about it, dealer time!

Although the comparison with an airplane doesn't make much sense, I hope the fix is simple!!
With the airplane analogy, is that with software-based "glass" systems (no physical gauges), they usually have a very robust code running that particular element that is separate from the other OS systems . That way, there is little influence on what is essentially a safety-system, from the other systems. Throttle by wire, brake by wire and others also have similar sandboxed code. So on a car, the instrument cluster would be on an entire separate chain than the iDrive. And in Aviation, everything is taken to the next-level, even as that tech trickles down to cars.

It is ultra-rare to have a Garmin Glass-cockpit go blank. With old-time gauges, they could also fail, but it is exceedingly rare, and in recent years, they had a redundant speedo in most cars, which could save the day.

The display went out again today, and also is taking all of the safety systems with it, like lane-change, and all of the other collision avoidance software. That hints that it is likely software, but who knows. I have an appt. this week to get it sorted, as well as check on the other glitches (and the port-Alignment, which feels pretty wonky to me).

Hoping to get some good driving in before the snows fly!!
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

So, just to circle back:

the dealer came back and advised me that the car logged a bunch of errors, and that the driver's screen is faulty. They think that fault also turned off the driver-safety systems. So, they ordered a replacement. They also confirmed that my Port-completed HAS alignment was off, and a few other smaller issues.

Gonna miss my car for a few days!! (first-world problems! LOL!)
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
DomMuc
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

iam 100% sure it won´t fix your issue .. had the same on a customer car...replaced cluster .. blank screen came back right away.... power supply connector for Cluster behind the Glovebox was not connected all the way...
Appreciate 4
      11-15-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
iam 100% sure it won´t fix your issue .. had the same on a customer car...replaced cluster .. blank screen came back right away.... power supply connector for Cluster behind the Glovebox was not connected all the way...
I'm gonna add that to my email to them. I sent them a small note because they also thought that the Carplay not responding to the dash/steering wheel buttons was a hardware issue. As they say, "a swing and a miss"..but they are trying! haha!

Thank you for the advice!
Appreciate 0