bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-19-2023, 06:41 PM   #1
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Race Chip GTS

Anyone running this tune? If so please post pros and cons.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #2
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have it installed on my car. Been using their products for the last 3 vehicles (2 MINIs and 1 BMW). The only issue I have experienced is the wiring loom being bad but RaceChip replaced it ASAP. Other than that, goos increases in HP and TRQ and you can remove it fairly easily if your BMW service centre are dicks about mods, etc.

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #3
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I made a whole thread about this.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2037336
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I ran Racechip on my car. Its reliable, safe, and makes a lot more power than stock. I strongly recommend it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
rons e921397.00
      11-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I ran Racechip on my car. Its reliable, safe, and makes a lot more power than stock. I strongly recommend it.
The car is stock and I run it on the track 4x a year. Is this still safe to track and which mode will be the safest. How much gain should I expect on stock engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
The car is stock and I run it on the track 4x a year. Is this still safe to track and which mode will be the safest. How much gain should I expect on stock engine.
~60-80 depending on the fuel

you can track it as many times as possible, its always safe as long as you are using the recommended maps.

If you are on 91, run up to map 5
if you are on 93, run up to map 6
i'd keep map 7 for E85 or race gas

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #7
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
~60-80 depending on the fuel

you can track it as many times as possible, its always safe as long as you are using the recommended maps.

If you are on 91, run up to map 5
if you are on 93, run up to map 6
i'd keep map 7 for E85 or race gas
Thanks Mike, I use 93. If I buy from you when will it ship and where is it shipped from so I can get an idea when I will receive it.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:16 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I use 93. If I buy from you when will it ship and where is it shipped from so I can get an idea when I will receive it.
ships from the US in 3 business days on average, and you receive it 2-4 business days later.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #9
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ships from the US in 3 business days on average, and you receive it 2-4 business days later.
What are the advantages of the app other than being able to change maps easily?
Can the app be added later?

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 11-21-2023 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:32 AM   #10
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
You cannot add the app later. It mentions this on racechips site. If you think you may want it later down the road you need to buy with the piggyback. I’m guessing hardware is a little different, one probably has Bluetooth and the other doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:21 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can easily change the maps from the tune; it's got buttons and a small screen on the tuning box. This requires you to open the engine hood and then click a button.

With the app, you can change it from your phone.

It's not that useful unless you plan on constantly changing the map while driving. I never used it when the race chip was installed on my car.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #12
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
You can easily change the maps from the tune; it's got buttons and a small screen on the tuning box. This requires you to open the engine hood and then click a button.

With the app, you can change it from your phone.

It's not that useful unless you plan on constantly changing the map while driving. I never used it when the race chip was installed on my car.
Does race chip ever release map updates or firmware updates? Just wondering if the app is also for that, but I'm guessing they rarely release updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Does race chip ever release map updates or firmware updates? Just wondering if the app is also for that, but I'm guessing they rarely release updates.
The app is for changing maps; they don't release firmware updates.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #14
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Based on the G87 thread, figured I'd possibly consider the GTS Black. Here was my correspondence with RC from today 11/21. You can make your own conclusions. For me it was clear, FETMO is the way.

My email to them:
For the G42, the GTS Black Max HP Gains are listed as 68HP. On the youtube video for the G42, you show only a Max gain of 32 HP. Can you please explain the discrepancy? Can you also provide the boost levels, HP Gain and Fuel recommondations for each of the 7 different maps.

Thank you

Response:
Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

The performance gains which we advertise in our online shop must be always calculated to the values stated by the manufacturer (EU = 374hp, US = 387hp).
The result of the measurement in the video is less than the values in our online shop because of the serial tolerance of this car (409 hp instead of 374hp).
So if your car has no big serial tolerance you can expect these values. We can only provide you the information that there
is a difference of 2-3 % in power on each mapping. On map 1 you get the lowest and on map 7 the most powerful tuning.

If you would like to know the exact gains of your car the only way is to take the car to a dyno.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:54 PM   #15
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is my response from RaceChip

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

During the development process, our engineers goal is to identify the engine's maximum performance, always staying within the safety tolerance range. The achieved maximum engine performance is published in our shop. Since there can be differences between the stated manufacturer's performance and the engine's real stock performance, the performance data may vary. Our goal is to show you the final performance you can expect from your engine.

The RaceChip tuning takes place with the fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
In petrol engines it may be conducive to use the highest octane fuel for maximum power output. This reduces the risk of knocking (spontaneous ignition of the mix in the cylinder).

The RaceChip has been calibrated specifically for the engine in your car and a further adjustment is generally not necessary in order to get the best performance. However, performance tolerances or the condition of the engine sometimes mean that a fine tuning is required.
So there are different mappings available including slightly different tuning curves. This allows you to fine tune your RaceChip quickly and easily, letting you get the best from your RaceChip-enhanced engine.
The higher the map, the more power and torque. The difference between each stage is 2%.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:06 PM   #16
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have read mixed reviews on piggybacks, some say they work, others say don't was your money. There is a 30 day money back guaranty however there is a restocking charge, merchant fee, and shipping fees. By the time you add all this up you might get 2 cents. Also there engine warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

V. Exclusions
1. The following types of damage shall be specifically excluded from this Warranty:
a. normal wear and tear of qualifying parts;
b. damage resulting from using the covered vehicle in any forms of racing, race-like driving events (including related types of driving for training purposes);
c. damage resulting from changes made to the engine and/or the control and computer systems of the vehicle, either before or during the Warranty Period (including, in particular (but not limited to), measures enhancing the performance of the motor vehicle or altering the level or amount of exhaust emissions or otherwise changing the emissions behavior of the vehicle);
Appreciate 0