BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) cold start only misfire 2 & 3 cly?

11-23-2023, 12:02 AM   #1
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

cold start only misfire 2 & 3 cly?

Hi Team, the 2016 F48 X1 108k miles has started misfiring on cold starts. It will warm up for a bit (maybe a 30 sec drive down the road), then I pull over, and restart it with no misfire. It has no other problems besides needing to be restarted after engine warms up from cold start.

I haven’t dived into it too much. I think it could be spark plugs that weren’t torqued when I replaced them + coil packs two years ago after buying the car. Does that sounds right? I read some scary stuff online about leaking fuel injectors and other items…

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icycharizard View Post
Hi Team, the 2016 F48 X1 108k miles has started misfiring on cold starts. It will warm up for a bit (maybe a 30 sec drive down the road), then I pull over, and restart it with no misfire. It has no other problems besides needing to be restarted after engine warms up from cold start.

I haven't dived into it too much. I think it could be spark plugs that weren't torqued when I replaced them + coil packs two years ago after buying the car. Does that sounds right? I read some scary stuff online about leaking fuel injectors and other items…

Any ideas?
It would be best to scan it to see what's happening.

On the other hand, replacing the spark plugs is a cheap and easy fix (torq them correctly this time). So, I would start by doing this to see if it helps. You also will be able to visually inspect the area if something is worse.

Unfortunately, leaking injectors are somewhat common on this platform.
      11-24-2023, 12:32 AM   #3
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Bump.

Anyone with more info?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Funny enough, misfiring disappeared after messing with the 2 & 3 position coil packs. I couldn’t get them out and felt like they might break to force them out. So I didn’t… I looked it up and an oversight on my part; I did not put dialectic grease in between the spark plugs and coil packs. This caused fusion between the rubber of the coil pack surrounding the conductive flat tip and ceramic portion of spark plug. I did not remove it completely because I found out pulling it would tear the rubber of the coil pack making it undrivable. But just from pulling and twisting the coil pack and pushing it back down, giving up instead of trying to break it, I no longer have the misfires. I will change the coil packs next summer if they last that long. I will have to manually remove any fused pieces of rubber from the coil pack / spark plug hole and clean it out properly when I do that. I hope this mistake can help others, searching for answers here, learn!
Appreciate 0