BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW Safety Systems

12-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
gregz1217
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

BMW Safety Systems

Hi All,
I'm an attorney working on a case in which my client, who was driving a BMW X1, is being sued. Our client was rear-ended on the highway at a high rate of speed, which disabled his vehicle. About 5 minutes later, another vehicle then struck the BMW X1. They alleged our client failed to activate his hazards or move the vehicle from the roadway

Our theory is that 1) the hazards activated automatically and 2) the Battery Safety Terminal cut off power to the engine bay.

Can somebody point me in the direction of any literature, manuals, presentations, etc., that explain these systems, as provided by the manufacturer? I tried reviewing the manual online but found nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Attached documentation on the X1 (F48 generation) crash safety module. It has some language supporting your theory, depending on the severity of the accident.

Couple points to note:
1. This specific sub-forum is for the F48 model (2016+), not the first gen X1 that's based on the E84 platform. Best to confirm you're in the right place.

2. I believe there's an old post where someone shared the more technical details of the F48's mechanical/electrical features. I recommend you do a search.

3. Another way to gather evidence on your battery safety terminal idea is to pull the part itself and see whether it was triggered. I'm assuming if it activated and cut battery power, there's likely a way to visually confirm or test with a multimeter.

Good luck defending your client's case and it sucks he needs to even deal with any liability issues if the events actually played out as described.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Crash safety module.pdf (209.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Crash safety.pdf (675.2 KB, 9 views)
Appreciate 0