bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Parking Brake

I always use auto hold, works perfect as i do lots of stop start traffic,one thing ive become aware of is when you turn the car off and it applies the full parking brake i can feel the car move/jolt slightly every time ,I'm sure its only just started doing this .anyone's thoughts please...maybe its normal and I'm just noticing this but i doubt it ive driven in everyday except at about 4 days since collection on the 30th sept this year.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
I always use auto hold, works perfect as i do lots of stop start traffic,one thing ive become aware of is when you turn the car off and it applies the full parking brake i can feel the car move/jolt slightly every time ,I'm sure its only just started doing this .anyone's thoughts please...maybe its normal and I'm just noticing this but i doubt it ive driven in everyday except at about 4 days since collection on the 30th sept this year.
Just felt this the other night when I applied the parking brake (oh in my M2) with the car parked with the engine off on flat pavement -- in my garage -- and in neutral (manual transmission). My foot was not on the brake pedal.

Felt the car move a bit as the parking brakes engaged.

My habit is to with the brakes applied shift to P or with a manual shift to neutral then turn off the engine and then apply the parking brake. I don't release the brake pedal until the parking brake is fully engaged.

Don't recall ever this occurring with my 2022 BMW 230i or my 2024 230i xDrive. But both are automatics and I just never put the transmission into N. It is either in P or D (or M/S). And because the cars are both fitted with an automatic I just leave my foot on the brake pedal until it is time to move off. When I park the cars I keep my foot on the brake pedal, shift to P, turn off the engine, then apply the parking brake. Only then will I take my foot off the brake pedal.

Bottom line is I believe while I have never encountered this before in driving the M2 around 6K miles, nor in my 230i in 8K miles, or my 230i xDrive in over 500 miles (yep it is new) I think it normal.

I think it is probably a good idea for a couple of reasons to when parking the car to keep the brakes applied until the transmission is in P (or in the case of a manual transmission in neutral), the engine is off, and the parking brake has been activated and is quiet after having completed its activation.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
sig_serg
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I admit I haven't felt this when parking, but I definitely notice it when I get in the car to start my drive. Makes no real sense to me tbh.

When I start the car and have my foot on the brake, when I let off I will feel the car creep forward about ~1-3 inches before it detects the movement and abruptly pushes the brakes harder.

I don't use auto hold specifically because I don't like how it also automates the parking brake. Wish it only controlled the booster in D/S mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

This is normal under two conditions:

1. The car was shut off when Auto Hold was turned on. I rarely use Auto Hold, but when I do, sometimes I forget to shut it off before I park the car. In those cases, when I start the car again and start moving, the parking brake (or Auto Hold) is engaged and you can feel the friction when it starts moving until it disengages.

2. Remote starting the car sets the park brake by default. If you do not manually disengage the park brake before moving, you will feel this same friction as the car starts moving and the parking brake disengages.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 11:20 AM   #5
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
This is normal under two conditions:

1. The car was shut off when Auto Hold was turned on. I rarely use Auto Hold, but when I do, sometimes I forget to shut it off before I park the car. In those cases, when I start the car again and start moving, the parking brake (or Auto Hold) is engaged and you can feel the friction when it starts moving until it disengages.

2. Remote starting the car sets the park brake by default. If you do not manually disengage the park brake before moving, you will feel this same friction as the car starts moving and the parking brake disengages.
I leave auto hold on always the same as I did in last 2 cars, just if you don't have foot on brake as well sometimes feels a bit lurchy when you tun off the engine or open the door.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:11 PM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
I leave auto hold on always the same as I did in last 2 cars, just if you don't have foot on brake as well sometimes feels a bit lurchy when you tun off the engine or open the door.
How come you accept the auto hold brake application every time you come to a stop yet you don’t like ASS?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
How come you accept the auto hold brake application every time you come to a stop yet you don’t like ASS?
simple because the auto hold does not interfere with my stop start driving I do in town every day....stop start is the devil....hate it .massive ware and tear on everything, please don't get me started ...on that feature, manage to disable on every car ive had so far. on my daily use it could possibly start car 50 times a day that's just plain stupid ....not a problem i guess if you leave home an get on a motorway trip.

PS. i do like a bit ASS if she is fit........
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
simple because the auto hold does not interfere with my stop start driving I do in town every day....stop start is the devil....hate it .massive ware and tear on everything, please don't get me started ...on that feature, manage to disable on every car ive had so far. on my daily use it could possibly start car 50 times a day that's just plain stupid ....not a problem i guess if you leave home an get on a motorway trip.

PS. i do like a bit ASS if she is fit........

Never found ASS to be a hinderance in any way but I never use parking brake/ auto hold because it is - also because it’s never really needed.

What “wear and tear” do you think ASS creates?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 05:59 AM   #9
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Never found ASS to be a hinderance in any way but I never use parking brake/ auto hold because it is - also because it’s never really needed.

Battery ,belts among other things I guess. Why would you start your car 50 times a day ??? or leave it gently ticking over for a few seconds ...
auto hold you don't even notice either at all. sorry i think its the worse idea the EU brought in ....a local indie dealer who is ex BMW, also races one says they are terrible idea and it is only in place because they have to ....not a problem for me as its OFF permanently .
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 06:00 AM   #10
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Have a little think ,tick over vs starting the big lump 50 times a day....
Appreciate 0