BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

12-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Active Autowerke Equal Length Exhaust: Full system (minus dps) or just midpipe?

I had a single midpipe setup on my F87 M2C and want to try an equal length setup this time around. I'm debating on whether the midpipe alone is enough or if it needs the full system from the cats back to really come to life. The G8X platform seems a lot more muted than the F8X platform and the install for my single midpipe on my F87 was botched, which ended up with me having to sell the car with the single midpipe on it and selling the oem midpipe for pennies. I'd like to avoid that if possible so I will be taking it to a proper shop this time around but I'm still worried that cutting the pipes is the cheapo option, what are you guys' thoughts?

If anyone has the following setups or have seen videos of them, please leave them in the thread!
- AA G8x Equal Length midpipe, axleback, stock downpipes
- AA G8x Equal Length midpipe, stock axleback and downpipes

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:19 AM   #2
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I had a single midpipe setup on my F87 M2C and want to try an equal length setup this time around. I'm debating on whether the midpipe alone is enough or if it needs the full system from the cats back to really come to life. The G8X platform seems a lot more muted than the F8X platform and the install for my single midpipe on my F87 was botched, which ended up with me having to sell the car with the single midpipe on it and selling the oem midpipe for pennies. I'd like to avoid that if possible so I will be taking it to a proper shop this time around but I'm still worried that cutting the pipes is the cheapo option, what are you guys' thoughts?

If anyone has the following setups or have seen videos of them, please leave them in the thread!
- AA G8x Equal Length midpipe, axleback, stock downpipes
- AA G8x Equal Length midpipe, stock axleback and downpipes
My AA EL will be shipping this week. I’m pairing it with stock DP and AB for now. Will post some videos once on.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 07:51 AM   #3
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

OEM dp and ab. EL mid. In efficient with valves closed she's still oem quiet, which I joking compared to an ev. But also means cold starts are controlled too. Coming from a v8 with long tubes and full exhaust this was especially important.

But you put her in sport or sport + and it gets rowdy. Sounds mean. If you are not a fan of the decel / burble just be aware this will emphasize it. If you like it then you'll love this. Also if you pop the valves open too soon in the cold start while it's still doing the cat warm up cycle it is surprisingly loud for an inline 6 with twins lol.

I've had it on for a few weeks and still debating if needing the dp too. So far though happy with the upgrade.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I currently have the AA GESI cat downpipes, equal length midpope, and currently am running the stock muffler with AA's carbon and black chrome tips.

I have the AA valved rear section, but I removed it because I live in an apartment building and my car is in the garage right beneath someone's apartment. Every morning at 8am I'd start the car and the cold start was so loud I felt terrible for my neighbors.

It sounded incredible, but with the OEM muffler you get 80% of that sound when you're in it, but the little drone it had is completely eliminated, there is less NVH, and the cold start is much more tolerable.

Here's a clip of my current setup:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzOxUN5uLGy/

If you want to head more of both setups, feel free to check out my YouTube channel. Here's the link:
https://youtube.com/@RonJohnCo?si=7oqVifebOLdKqAF_
Appreciate 1
AZG87967.00
      12-11-2023, 11:07 PM   #5
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
I currently have the AA GESI cat downpipes, equal length midpope, and currently am running the stock muffler with AA's carbon and black chrome tips.

I have the AA valved rear section, but I removed it because I live in an apartment building and my car is in the garage right beneath someone's apartment. Every morning at 8am I'd start the car and the cold start was so loud I felt terrible for my neighbors.

It sounded incredible, but with the OEM muffler you get 80% of that sound when you're in it, but the little drone it had is completely eliminated, there is less NVH, and the cold start is much more tolerable.

Here's a clip of my current setup:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzOxUN5uLGy/

If you want to head more of both setups, feel free to check out my YouTube channel. Here's the link:
https://youtube.com/@RonJohnCo?si=7oqVifebOLdKqAF_
I saw your video on YouTube a couple weeks back, I kind of want mine to sound like yours but I don't want to change the downpipes. Do you think the axleback + midpipe will sound similar?

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
rons e921397.00
      12-11-2023, 11:33 PM   #6
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Just saw a video of the Dinan axleback for the G87 compared to stock and... they sound exactly the same lmfao. I don't think I want the full catback anymore... probably just going to get the equal length midpipe when it goes on sale and get a Dahler valve controller with it

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:41 PM   #7
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just saw a video of the Dinan axleback for the G87 compared to stock and... they sound exactly the same lmfao. I don't think I want the full catback anymore... probably just going to get the equal length midpipe when it goes on sale and get a Dahler valve controller with it
Try the Awron CANflap- connects directly to the exhaust button in-cab unlinke Dahler or any other valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:29 AM   #8
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Try the Awron CANflap- connects directly to the exhaust button in-cab unlinke Dahler or any other valve controller.
Just did some research into this product and looks like the install is very complicated; I don’t want to mess with splicing wires and stuff just for the added convenience of being able to control it with the exhaust button. So far Dahler seems to be the best option, you can bind the key fob controls to your home link and I doubt anyone uses all three buttons 😂

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
Geighty71404.50
      12-12-2023, 12:54 AM   #9
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Midpipe (manufacturer doesn’t really matter here, they all sound basically the same) + valve controller is for sure the biggest bang for your buck if you’re looking for more sound.

It sounds WAY better than stock and IMO is more than loud enough without being obnoxious. Cold start with the valves open in my garage blows my ears off and snaps necks in parking lots.

Adding more than that it’s gonna get extremely loud, especially if you do a full system. It just depends what you’re really looking for and what your use case is.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71404.50
      12-12-2023, 01:21 AM   #10
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just did some research into this product and looks like the install is very complicated; I don’t want to mess with splicing wires and stuff just for the added convenience of being able to control it with the exhaust button. So far Dahler seems to be the best option, you can bind the key fob controls to your home link and I doubt anyone uses all three buttons 😂
Depends if you’re doing it yourself or having shop do it, but yeah I get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:36 AM   #11
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
Midpipe (manufacturer doesn’t really matter here, they all sound basically the same) + valve controller is for sure the biggest bang for your buck if you’re looking for more sound.

It sounds WAY better than stock and IMO is more than loud enough without being obnoxious. Cold start with the valves open in my garage blows my ears off and snaps necks in parking lots.

Adding more than that it’s gonna get extremely loud, especially if you do a full system. It just depends what you’re really looking for and what your use case is.
Yeah I think you’re right, I used a similar combo on my M2C (AA Single Midpipe and valves opened with Bimmercode) and the cold starts almost sounded like it was coming from a straight piped car, if I had downpipes on that car it would have been straight obnoxious

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:38 AM   #12
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Depends if you’re doing it yourself or having shop do it, but yeah I get it.
I’m the type of guy to try DIY’ing it before taking it to the shop, learned my lesson on exhaust work though, I’m never doing that shit again

And also I’m not too big of a fan on irreversible mods like soldering wires, I mean I guess you could reverse it but seems like too big of a hassle. The extent of my knowledge on anything electrical is building a computer and me when I was a kid trying to modify my nerf guns with upgraded motors and wires (and failing miserably) 😭

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #13
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The guy who did my CF roof PPF has the Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe. He is at Klasswerk PPF shop. It sounds pretty good.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #14
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw your video on YouTube a couple weeks back, I kind of want mine to sound like yours but I don't want to change the downpipes. Do you think the axleback + midpipe will sound similar?
The Axel back really opens it up. I think downpipes give the best sound regardless of midpipe. You end up getting more pops, more visceral sound, and it's just overall better. The midpipe just enhances this.

The axel back is where you end up getting more volume, not really changing the tone. I can imagine the mid pipe and axel back will be louder, but won't sound as violent as my car with DPs and midpipe.

Although I have to admit, I haven't heard a car with no DPs and mid pipe or midpipe and axel back.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 06:38 AM   #15
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
The Axel back really opens it up. I think downpipes give the best sound regardless of midpipe. You end up getting more pops, more visceral sound, and it's just overall better. The midpipe just enhances this.

The axel back is where you end up getting more volume, not really changing the tone. I can imagine the mid pipe and axel back will be louder, but won't sound as violent as my car with DPs and midpipe.

Although I have to admit, I haven't heard a car with no DPs and mid pipe or midpipe and axel back.
You think so? I haven't heard a midpipe and axleback (no DPs) combo either but I've heard just a midpipe or just an axleback and the axleback by itself barely made any difference from what I remember. Maybe once paired with the midpipe it makes a bigger difference?

Ideally for sound the best option imo would be downpipes and the midpipe with the stock box with a valve controller but I don't want to deal with a check engine light nor service throwing a fit whenever I take the car in so most likely going to go with a midpipe and valve controller (and the AA GESI cats are way too expensive for me to justify buying them)

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
rons e921397.00
      12-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #16
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
You think so? I haven't heard a midpipe and axleback (no DPs) combo either but I've heard just a midpipe or just an axleback and the axleback by itself barely made any difference from what I remember. Maybe once paired with the midpipe it makes a bigger difference?

Ideally for sound the best option imo would be downpipes and the midpipe with the stock box with a valve controller but I don't want to deal with a check engine light nor service throwing a fit whenever I take the car in so most likely going to go with a midpipe and valve controller (and the AA GESI cats are way too expensive for me to justify buying them)
The AA EL by itself makes a significant difference in both volume and tone. You can always give it a go on its own first then expand to a new ab or dp later if you feel the need.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
The AA EL by itself makes a significant difference in both volume and tone. You can always give it a go on its own first then expand to a new ab or dp later if you feel the need.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0