BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

12-13-2023, 06:34 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

AliExpress CBNT Equal Length Midpipe - Too good to be true?

Here's the link to this product: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=6nS4SrdeBPkm

I'm looking around for equal length midpipes and it's either this for like $700 or the Active Autowerke one for nearly 3 times the price. I thought AA made all of their stuff here but turns out they "design" their products here, and have them made in Taiwan or China (like every other company, cough cough Apple).

It seems the biggest visual difference is the hangar on the "squigly" side of the midpipe has a different hangar attachment point but there's pictures of the product fitted in the listing. They also seem to have a full catback exhaust system that looks very similar to the AA one but has some weird looking pointy things sticking out on seemingly random parts of the exhaust. Link to the full exhaust system: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this specific exhaust or any products by this company? I've purchased things on AliExpress for my F87 and they all fitted perfectly and I've had no issues with them.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT

Last edited by turnsignalslol; 12-13-2023 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Purchasing the equal pipe from a source like Ali Baba might not be the best decision. This product has complex construction and requires exact fitment. It will drone and negatively affect your exhaust's sound if it's not a perfect fit.

I also see from the picture that they don't offer it with a brace. We know that it will not clear the stock brace, so I'm not sure how they expect you to install it without a newer brace

While it's cheaper, it could result in frustration and additional issues. You might have to remove it or live with the awful drone.

Get the Active Autowerke design or the more affordable single midpipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
Ravenseal2755.00
Idemo52.50
      12-13-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Purchasing the equal pipe from a source like Ali Baba might not be the best decision. This product has complex construction and requires exact fitment. It will drone and negatively affect your exhaust's sound if it's not a perfect fit.

I also see from the picture that they don't offer it with a brace. We know that it will not clear the stock brace, so I'm not sure how they expect you to install it without a newer brace

While it's cheaper, it could result in frustration and additional issues. You might have to remove it or live with the awful drone.

Get the Active Autowerke design or the more affordable single midpipe.
Not interested in the single midpipe as I had it on my M2C, when's the next time the AA equal length midpipe is going to go on sale on your website?

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:19 PM   #4
ToneM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

You get what you pay for
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 11:59 PM   #5
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Never order anything over $10 from aliexpress.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:16 AM   #6
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Never order anything over $10 from aliexpress.
Bad take, the drl’s I got and the carbon shifter were very good quality, I can bet that most of the carbon and performance shops online like IND, Bayoptiks, Horizon, etc, gets their stuff from Alibaba or some Chinese manufacturer

Obviously this doesn’t apply to every item but saying that you should never over something over $10 from Aliexpress is just limiting yourself from getting a better deal.

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #7
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Bad take, the drl’s I got and the carbon shifter were very good quality, I can bet that most of the carbon and performance shops online like IND, Bayoptiks, Horizon, etc, gets their stuff from Alibaba or some Chinese manufacturer

Obviously this doesn’t apply to every item but saying that you should never over something over $10 from Aliexpress is just limiting yourself from getting a better deal.
Until you lose your headlight or a bad part arrives and you’re stuck with it having to ship it back and never be refunded for the expensive RMA. Buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 03:59 AM   #8
borrego4026
Rep
Drives: White 135i n54

I’ve been eyeing the same product, I’ve honestly had good experiences with AliExpress, I’ve ordered numerous items with great quality and no issues. Ultimately if it follows the same design and quality material, a pipe is a pipe. I’ve bought exhaust for other cars from AliExpress with no issues, so why not save a buck on something that’s not seen, mostly heard and will not cause any mechanical failure if issues would arrive. I know it’s frowned upon to use Chinese knock off parts, especially on a $70k car, but who cares make it yours.I Would just contact the seller with any questions prior to ordering, last car I had a knock of exhaust was on a 350z, which was ages ago and overall it was okay besides minor finish issues that with the savings it yield, it really didn’t bother me.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:38 AM   #9
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

You obviously know nothing about IND
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:46 AM   #10
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
You obviously know nothing about IND
You’re right, honestly, I don’t. But I can assume that some of their products aren’t made “in house,” the yellow drl modules they sell are probably from Aliexpress for less than $100, then sold at 3 times the price.

If I’m wrong feel free to correct me

Edit: I meant some of IND’s products that they are distributors for, like the DRLs. They’re most likely dropshipped.

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:14 AM   #11
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego4026 View Post
I’ve been eyeing the same product, I’ve honestly had good experiences with AliExpress, I’ve ordered numerous items with great quality and no issues. Ultimately if it follows the same design and quality material, a pipe is a pipe. I’ve bought exhaust for other cars from AliExpress with no issues, so why not save a buck on something that’s not seen, mostly heard and will not cause any mechanical failure if issues would arrive. I know it’s frowned upon to use Chinese knock off parts, especially on a $70k car, but who cares make it yours.I Would just contact the seller with any questions prior to ordering, last car I had a knock of exhaust was on a 350z, which was ages ago and overall it was okay besides minor finish issues that with the savings it yield, it really didn’t bother me.
I talked to the seller and they answered all of the questions that I had, even if it was a little difficult due to the language barrier. Also, I don’t get it either. Why does buying this car for 70k mean you can’t shop around looking for a better deal? There’s so many of these new “carbon” shops popping up and people seem to be fine with just dropping hundreds of dollars for something they could easily get on Aliexpress for fractions of the cost. Do they really think these new stores just bought all of this equipment to manufacture carbon parts in house?

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:20 AM   #12
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You’re right, honestly, I don’t. But I can assume that some of their products aren’t made “in house,” the yellow drl modules they sell are probably from Aliexpress for less than $100, then sold at 3 times the price.

If I’m wrong feel free to correct me

Edit: I meant some of IND’s products that they are distributors for, like the DRLs. They’re most likely dropshipped.

Correct, they are not manufacturing but they are obtaining from that manufacturer, not from Ali. You will notice IND only carries and sells products from certain manufacturers (and they aren't relabeling generic items as theirs).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:26 AM   #13
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Correct, they are not manufacturing but they are obtaining from that manufacturer, not from Ali. You will notice IND only carries and sells products from certain manufacturers (and they aren't relabeling generic items as theirs).
I see. Maybe it doesn’t apply to IND (I still think the “Motorsport+” company that supplies the DRL modules drop ship them but that’s another topic) but we as a community can’t deny that a lot of these new online stores selling carbon parts and other aftermarket stuff is just relabeling stuff from China. I’ve had first hand experience buying from one of these shops.

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:51 AM   #14
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I see. Maybe it doesn’t apply to IND (I still think the “Motorsport+” company that supplies the DRL modules drop ship them but that’s another topic) but we as a community can’t deny that a lot of these new online stores selling carbon parts and other aftermarket stuff is just relabeling stuff from China. I’ve had first hand experience buying from one of these shops.

I definitely cannot speak for all of these other vendor/supplier/resale companies in the marketplace. You are right, some I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:30 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Not interested in the single midpipe as I had it on my M2C, when's the next time the AA equal length midpipe is going to go on sale on your website?
dm me when you are ready to place an order and i will work on a price for you

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #16
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

I don't understand people spending $75,000 on a brand new BMW and then cheaping out on parts. If it was some 12 year old 325ci shitbox, knock yourself out. But you're gonna slap linglong chinese parts on a brand new M car?

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 4
rons e921399.00
AZG87967.00
ourlee918.50
      12-14-2023, 03:51 PM   #17
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
I don't understand people spending $75,000 on a brand new BMW and then cheaping out on parts. If it was some 12 year old 325ci shitbox, knock yourself out. But you're gonna slap linglong chinese parts on a brand new M car?
I'm with you man. Never mind the fact that AA has a patent on this design and these Chinese manufacturers are clearly violating the patent and will never be held accountable.

By ordering from these guys you perpetrate this unethical and illegal behavior.

Pony up and honor the source. Order from Active. If you can't swing it now, just wait. The support you'll get from Active is worth the premium alone. Plus you're benefiting an American company that spent the time, money, and human sweat equity to develop these components.

Don't reward the Chinese IP thieves.
Appreciate 1
uk0168573.50
      12-14-2023, 04:09 PM   #18
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This and thank you. I have been preaching this on a number of thing but seems to keep falling on deft ears.
Appreciate 3
rons e921399.00
AZG87967.00
      12-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #19
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it's exterior parts like some carbon addons, I really don't care where it comes from, as long as it fits alright and doesn't fall off. A lot of aftermarket carbon comes from China, and that's a fact. Why buy through a dropshipper at an inflated price when you can get it direct from the manufacturer(s)?

I understand what you're saying about "performance" parts though, like an exhaust. I've reconsidered and I'm just going to wait for the AA pipe to go on sale or something.

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #20
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If it's exterior parts like some carbon addons, I really don't care where it comes from, as long as it fits alright and doesn't fall off. A lot of aftermarket carbon comes from China, and that's a fact. Why buy through a dropshipper at an inflated price when you can get it direct from the manufacturer(s)?

I understand what you're saying about "performance" parts though, like an exhaust. I've reconsidered and I'm just going to wait for the AA pipe to go on sale or something.

Cheap carbon fiber is just that...poor fitting, imperfections, thin coating over plastic or fiberglass, and crappy weave. Garbage in, garbage out...

Don't get ne started with mechanical, intake, exhaust, rims, etc.

I understand some may not be able to afford the mods but going cheap, rigged and half-assed boggles my mind. As stated, if you couldn't afford mods on the M2/maxed out on the purchase, then leave it stock or one should have considered a lesser car. Just mt 2 pennies...
Appreciate 1
rons e921399.00
      12-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #21
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cheap carbon fiber is just that...poor fitting, imperfections, thin coating over plastic or fiberglass, and crappy weave. Garbage in, garbage out...

Don't get ne started with mechanical, intake, exhaust, rims, etc.

I understand some may not be able to afford the mods but going cheap, rigged and half-assed boggles my mind. As stated, if you couldn't afford mods on the M2/maxed out on the purchase, then leave it stock or one should have considered a lesser car. Just mt 2 pennies...
There’s a difference between carbon overlayed over plastic vs dry carbon. All I’m saying is that most of the “quality” carbon comes from the same factories in China that the shitty carbon comes from. I’m not saying I’m going to buy some $10 carbon piece off Alibaba and expect it to be just as good as the M performance piece, but one that costs what, half the price of the M performance piece with good reviews, pictures of fitment, etc. etc., why not? Everything is a business; just because you paid $1500 for a ducktail or a front lip doesn’t mean you’re getting $1500 worth of labor and carbon. You’re just getting played

I think we can agree to disagree here and just go about our days

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 2
Idemo52.50
BMR.WRLD255.00
      12-19-2023, 08:42 PM   #22
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

Quote:
There’s a difference between carbon overlayed over plastic vs dry carbon. All I’m saying is that most of the “quality” carbon comes from the same factories in China that the shitty carbon comes from. I’m not saying I’m going to buy some $10 carbon piece off Alibaba and expect it to be just as good as the M performance piece, but one that costs what, half the price of the M performance piece with good reviews, pictures of fitment, etc. etc., why not? Everything is a business; just because you paid $1500 for a ducktail or a front lip doesn’t mean you’re getting $1500 worth of labor and carbon. You’re just getting played

I think we can agree to disagree here and just go about our days
M performance carbon is actually pretty garbage compared to good brands that sell pre-preg carbon. I had several F87 carbon fiber M perf pieces and they were all heavy and most likely had plastic reinforcement inside. Overpriced garbage.

Appreciate 0