bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

MMR Engine Oil Filter and Cap

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has tried this kit yet with the oil filter and has anything to report.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...a6e577dc&_ss=r

I don't like reusing a filter, but I could always replace it each time. I refuse to service my car at any BMW dealer, so this car has no warranty, and it would be worth it to have peace of mind and not worry about an oil filter collapse.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

I’ve read with the older N55 engines; people were installed the metal filter cover too tight resulting in the plastic threads of the oil filter housing cracking. Leading to normal leaks.

I’ve not read anything about the newer engines.

I agree it seems odd to use the same filter for the life of the vehicle. Would hope there is some method to clean it between changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #3
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLEDz View Post
I’ve read with the older N55 engines; people were installed the metal filter cover too tight resulting in the plastic threads of the oil filter housing cracking. Leading to normal leaks.

I’ve not read anything about the newer engines.

I agree it seems odd to use the same filter for the life of the vehicle. Would hope there is some method to clean it between changes.
Yeah, it's supposed to be cleaned, but the process is quite tedious. Also, I think the housing cracking is mostly caused by weekend warriors who have no idea what they are doing and are going well over 25NM or whatever BMW calls for. Then again, the B58 oil filter is in the worst place possible, so I could see even a professional cross threading as it is challenging to place and then torque down, even with the correct equipment.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 05:17 AM   #4
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I’ve seen people who have this hated it based on how difficult cleaning it was.

Stick with the tried and true method of normal oil filters.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #5
G42_blue
Rep
Drives: Bmw G42 M240 xdrive

Seems messy to clean, I personally just swapped out the plastic housing cap that tends to brake sometimes apparently.
There are many different ones, Paradigm, Burger, Vargas, MMR etc
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #6
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
I’ve seen people who have this hated it based on how difficult cleaning it was.

Stick with the tried and true method of normal oil filters.
I never said I would clean it; if you read the original post, I said I would replace it. It is replaceable under the FCP euro warranty.

This post was to ask if anyone has tried this filter and if it outperforms the OEM MANN filter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:09 AM   #7
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandnouri View Post
I never said I would clean it; if you read the original post, I said I would replace it. It is replaceable under the FCP euro warranty.

This post was to ask if anyone has tried this filter and if it outperforms the OEM MANN filter
If it was better than OEM you would see lots of people using it, but you don’t. You see barely anyone using it. That right there should be your answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
If it was better than OEM you would see lots of people using it, but you don’t. You see barely anyone using it. That right there should be your answer.
I think the reason might be that it costs $65 USD before shipping just for the filter itself. LOL. Very few people are willing to pay that for a filter when half the people on this forum try to save a few $ by putting trashy after market filters in their car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:44 PM   #9
Maxp
Rep
Drives: M240i

I wonder if you can just place the filter in an ultrasonic cleaner? Seems like you should be able to, which would make it easy to clean.
Appreciate 0