BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Weird ticking noise/vibration/rattle form the dash area when driving below 1k RPMs?

12-17-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i

Garage List
Weird ticking noise/vibration/rattle form the dash area when driving below 1k RPMs?

So I recently got new wheels, tires, and a new mid-pipe from Supersprint (res and second cat deleted). I don't know if this noise is related to any of these, I've attached a video below so you can hear it (just ignore the tire pressure warning light). It's very noticeable inside the car and it came out from the dash area. Does anyone know what's the possible cause of this noise? Thanks!

NOTE: It ONLY happens when the gear shifter is in D and only when the car is creeping forward around 800-1000 RPMs

Video:
https://streamable.com/2e3uuz

Last edited by marticztn; 12-21-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marticztn View Post
So I recently got new wheels, tires, and a new mid-pipe from Supersprint (res and second cat deleted). I don't know if this noise is related to any of these, I've attached a video below so you can hear it (just ignore the tire pressure warning light). It's very noticeable inside the car and it came out from the dash area. Does anyone know what's the possible cause of this noise? Thanks!

NOTE: It ONLY happens when the gear shifter is in D and only when the car is creeping forward around 800-1000 RPMs

Video:
https://streamable.com/8ftune
I don't want to get too obvious here, but it seems like some metal is loose, or two metal pieces are rubbing. Considering you removed the cat, which is located pretty much at the same level as the dashboard, I would double-check the Supersprint installation.
      12-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
I don't want to get too obvious here, but it seems like some metal is loose, or two metal pieces are rubbing. Considering you removed the cat, which is located pretty much at the same level as the dashboard, I would double-check the Supersprint installation.
Thanks man! I’m taking it to the dealership today to fix the TPM receiver, will let them take a look at the noise as well, I think it also could be a loose heat shield, but we will see!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #4
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
jrveron hey jrveron, reporting back from the dealership, they told me it's because of the bad engine mount, both the passenger side (upper mount) and the lower mount are torn and worn, they quoted me for $2200+ which is insane. I fixed the TPM sensor + key fob problem myself tho (software glitch, bench unlocked my DME and reflashed it, it all works fine now)
Appreciate 1
Beams10.50
      12-24-2023, 03:27 AM   #5
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Quote:
jrveron hey jrveron, reporting back from the dealership, they told me it's because of the bad engine mount, both the passenger side (upper mount) and the lower mount are torn and worn, they quoted me for $2200+ which is insane. I fixed the TPM sensor + key fob problem myself tho (software glitch, bench unlocked my DME and reflashed it, it all works fine now)
I had similar issues with engine mount, just repaired last month. it seems to be a design “feature” that the engine mount tends to have issues with X1.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 09:02 AM   #6
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
I had similar issues with engine mount, just repaired last month. it seems to be a design “feature” that the engine mount tends to have issues with X1.
Hi Beams! Does yours make such noise with the bad engine mount?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
WTF? That's ridiculous...

The good news is they did the diagnosis for you, haha. Changing the engine mounts is not too complicated. If you don't want to DIY (~$350 for the new engine mounts), any indy shop will do it for less than that, anything between $600 and $800.

There are several posts here about changing the engine mounts.

Last edited by jrveron; 01-02-2024 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:34 AM   #8
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
WTF? That's ridiculous...

The good news is they did the diagnosis for you, haha. Changing the engine mounts is not too complicated. If you don't want to DIY (~$350 for the new engine mounts), any indy shop will do it for less than that, anything between $600 and $800.

There are several posts here about changing the engine mounts.
Another update! I found a very good local shop that can do the engine mount replacement for $700. Turned out the noise was not because of the engine moun. It’s because of my aftermarket downpipe touching a stock metal plate! So the shop flattened the metal out for a little bit and now the noise is gone! I did the engine mount anyway since it was already pretty bad…

Again, dealerships are crazy, def need to avoid them
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:48 AM   #9
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Another update! I found a very good local shop that can do the engine mount replacement for $700. Turned out the noise was not because of the engine moun. It’s because of my aftermarket downpipe touching a stock metal plate! So the shop flattened the metal out for a little bit and now the noise is gone! I did the engine mount anyway since it was already pretty bad…

Again, dealerships are crazy, def need to avoid them
Excellent! TBH, I'm also happy that I was right , hahaha.

BTW, Happy New Year!
      01-02-2024, 11:50 AM   #10
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent! TBH, I'm also happy that I was right , hahaha.

BTW, Happy New Year!
Haha you’re correct!!!
Happy new year man!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:56 PM   #11
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Yes, and it vibrants badly.
Appreciate 0