BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

01-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Is a midpipe and valve controller sufficient?

I've been eyeing the Valvetronic equal length catback system for a while now for my G87 and now that they have a 10% off sale until the 3rd of January, there isn't really a better time to buy it. However, ~3500 including shipping and all that is still quite expensive and I'm wondering if "cheaping out" and getting just the midpipe and fitting something like a SST valve controller or Dahler valve controller will do the job. I want the car to be pretty loud when open valves but similar to OEM once the valves are closed/factory operation.

I know the axleback by itself barely does anything but once paired with the midpipe, it amplifies the tone that the EL midpipe creates, but I'm wondering if that effect can somewhat be replicated with the stock axleback with a valve controller.

I'm also considering a PSI midpipe, it sounds pretty loud for just being a midpipe.

Happy New Year!

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:05 AM   #2
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

My opinion, go with the Valvetronic valved sport exhaust system or the equivalent from Fi. Fi's does not come with a controller so you will have to pay for their Pro App Remote Control (a little pricey) or a separate valve controller (SST is good, price wise).

What SHOULD you do, that is your call. If you get a midpipe and are not happy with it and go for the full catback, you have wasted the money on the midpipe. If getting a downpipe, or going to get one, then I would say definitely get the catback system. Also, if getting a downpipe, you should also be tuned (either femto unlock, my recommendation, or a piggyback (Racechip, Dahler, JB4, etc), not recommended IMO as these are not true tunes).

These are my recommendations only. Some may agree, and some may disagree...and thats fine, thats why we all are entitled to our opinions.

Last edited by M_Power Rob; 01-01-2024 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:08 AM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
My opinion, go with the Valvetronic valved sport exhaust system or the equivalent from Fi. Fi's does not come with a controller so you will have to pay for their Pro App Remote Control (a little pricey) or a separate valve controller (SST is goid, price wise).

What SHOULD you do, that is your call. If you get a midpipe and are not happy with it and go for the full catback, you have wasted the money in the midpipe. If getting a downpipe, or going to get one, then I would say definitely cat the catback system. Also, if getting a downpipe, you should alao be tuned (either femto unlock, my recommendation, or a piggyback (Racechip, Dahler, JB4, etc), not recommended IMO as these are not true tunes).

These are my recommendations only. Some may agree, and some may disagree...and thats fine, thats why we all are entitled to our opinions.

To add, if a femto unlock, you could potentially be without your car for a couple or few weeks, depending on the shipping and turnaround time a femto and who you use to install parts and tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:08 AM   #4
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If getting a downpipe, or going to get one, then I would say definitely cat the catback system. Also, if getting a downpipe, you should alao be tuned (either femto unlock, my recommendation, or a piggyback (Racechip, Dahler, JB4, etc), not recommended IMO as these are not true tunes).

No plans on downpipe/tune as of now, just wanting to get some more tone out of the car.

Quote:
If you get a midpipe and are not happy with it and go for the full catback, you have wasted the money in the midpipe.
Yeah, that's honestly the biggest dilemma here. Not sure if I'm going to be satisfied with the midpipe but also not sure if I'm willing to full send it and buy the whole system just for me to think, man I should have just bought the midpipe

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:30 AM   #5
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Update: Just ordered the IRL LLC catback, I can't hear the difference between the Valvetronic and the IRL units. Very friendly and easy to reach out to, answered all of my concerns.

Will post video clips of the install and sound once it gets here!

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
Idemo52.50