BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-01-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
JayD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

brake pad replacement DIY

Are there any good you tube videos or DIY guides for replacing pads on the front and rear of our G87s?? The fronts look fairly straight forward but I'm concerned about the electronic e brake on rear. Can the e brake be removed before pushing the piston back? I have the bimmer code app and obd2 dongle but not sure if there is an option for servicing the rear brakes on that app.

thanks
Jay
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:00 PM   #2
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
There is a video on YouTube. Just search up the M3/M4 brake DIY and you will find it. You have to do a DIY hack for the rear e-brake to retract the piston. I opted to have BMW do it via their service software but JABCAT did his own and managed just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:08 PM   #3
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Are there any good you tube videos or DIY guides for replacing pads on the front and rear of our G87s?? The fronts look fairly straight forward but I'm concerned about the electronic e brake on rear. Can the e brake be removed before pushing the piston back? I have the bimmer code app and obd2 dongle but not sure if there is an option for servicing the rear brakes on that app.

thanks
Jay
There are a few options but I use Bimmerlink to do the rear brakes. It pulls the parking brake all the way open. Bimmercode doesn't have the capability to do it.
Also- make sure that you replace the 12mm nuts on the front caliper. They are single use and lose their locking capability if reused.
      01-02-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

The fronts are pretty simple. Pop out the pins, remove the caliper (14mm nut top & bottom), slide the pads out, reverse process. The torque specs I found on the forum for the caliper bolts were ~70ft/lbs.

For the rears you need a 13mm socket and 17mm open wrench for the caliper bolts, T-5 for the 2 screws on the parking brake bracket, and a T-45 to release the parking brake. The rears took me less time than the fronts simply because my front calipers didn't want to come off. A couple whacks with a rubber mallet fixed that. Torque to ~25 ft/lbs.

You'll have to remove the brake wear sensor from the front left and rear right calipers. Use a flat head screw driver to pop it off the caliper. Be careful as it's fragile & don't pull on the wires. It snaps back into the new pads.

After you replace all pads and get the car back on its tires, engage the parking brake to reset it. If not you may get a parking brake malfunction message pop up on your screen the 1st or second time you drive the vehicle. Engaging and releasing the parking brake fixes that. Then go out and properly bed the new pads.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-02-2024 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0