home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-04-2024, 03:46 PM   #1
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Steering Wheel Vibration

Idrive 8.0 provides the ability to set the intensity of the vibration to the steering wheel when you go over a lane marker. I set mine to high but I hardly feel it. It this the way its supposed to be?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:13 PM   #2
kudos
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I have mine set to the minimum and I still feel it. I'd shut the stupid thing off completely off if I could.
      01-05-2024, 05:31 AM   #3
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
I have mine set to the minimum and I still feel it. I'd shut the stupid thing off completely off if I could.

There are two vibration settings. One is crossong "lanes" when driving or turns (I have this disabled). One is when you put your turn signal on to change lanes and there is a car in the "zone" to the side your signal is on for.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Had it on the default setting. Very noticeable vibrations! Have it set to the minimum and is much more subtle almost imperceptible. If I turn the radio off, I can hear the sound of the system engaging. While I did not like the steering intervention (disabled that), I kind of do not mind this subtle vibration for a little increase awareness.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:50 PM   #5
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Had it on the default setting. Very noticeable vibrations! Have it set to the minimum and is much more subtle almost imperceptible. If I turn the radio off, I can hear the sound of the system engaging. While I did not like the steering intervention (disabled that), I kind of do not mind this subtle vibration for a little increase awareness.
What is the default setting? I see low, medium and high.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:14 PM   #6
hxrly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 M240ix

Strongly dislike any artificial vibrations, one of the few dislikes from this car.

Past: F30 340i, C5 Z06, C7 Z51, Fiesta ST, Explorer ST, FA24 BRZ, SVT Focus, NA Miata (x2), 2.7L F150 (x4), Mk5 - Mk8 GTI (x8)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:58 AM   #7
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
What is the default setting? I see low, medium and high.
Mine was set to high sensitivity. Really didn't like it. Took a few days to figure out the settings and what they felt like. Not sure if it is a factory setting per-se, but mine was set like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:23 AM   #8
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

I have all mine set to low. What continues to puzzle me is the criteria it uses for deciding to intervene. The manual implies it's the system being active as denoted by the cockpit icon and it detecting an attempt to change lanes without indicating.

Unlike in the US where not indicating seems to be a federal offence punishable by 300 years in jail, in the UK indicating is required where it will assist other road users. So if in doubt do it but if there's clearly nothing else on the road then you don't have to. So there are occasions I don't indicate when changing lanes in very light traffic on a motorway for example. Sometimes the system intervenes and sometimes it doesn't even though the icon shows it to be active. Because it seems unpredictable, it takes me more by surprise when it does intervene. Imo something that is going to decide to make steering inputs needs to be consistent and this, to me anyway, doesn't seem to be.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:32 AM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy444 View Post
I have all mine set to low. What continues to puzzle me is the criteria it uses for deciding to intervene. The manual implies it's the system being active as denoted by the cockpit icon and it detecting an attempt to change lanes without indicating.

Unlike in the US where not indicating seems to be a federal offence punishable by 300 years in jail, in the UK indicating is required where it will assist other road users. So if in doubt do it but if there's clearly nothing else on the road then you don't have to. So there are occasions I don't indicate when changing lanes in very light traffic on a motorway for example. Sometimes the system intervenes and sometimes it doesn't even though the icon shows it to be active. Because it seems unpredictable, it takes me more by surprise when it does intervene. Imo something that is going to decide to make steering inputs needs to be consistent and this, to me anyway, doesn't seem to be.

UK only has lane departure warning i.e. when drifting from a motorway lane. Lane change warning, with the indicator in the mirror is not on our cars.
The former functions in certain conditions but will not work if, for example, crossing lines while tanking down a country road.
I also think the length of a dashed lane line makes a difference and proximity to other vehicles.

It’s that subtle it doesn’t bother me if it does kick in.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:47 AM   #10
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
UK only has lane departure warning i.e. when drifting from a motorway lane. Lane change warning, with the indicator in the mirror is not on our cars.
The former functions in certain conditions but will not work if, for example, crossing lines while tanking down a country road.
I also think the length of a dashed lane line makes a difference and proximity to other vehicles.

It’s that subtle it doesn’t bother me if it does kick in.
I'm aware of what the car has. I can deliberately drift from one lane to another for example when moving back to lane 1 on a gentle right hand bend after overtaking on a motorway. Sometimes it will poke its oar in and sometimes it won't even though the cockpit icon shows it to be active. It seems totally random to me.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0