BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

01-10-2024, 08:26 AM   #1
xbanwanx
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 g87

MST VS RK TUNES intakes

I just wanted to see what would be better for my g87 m2 and to ask anyone who has installed either of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:14 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Better for what?

They both get the job done; they will improve airflow and upgrade the sound. You are getting the same results from both, go with the one that you like better and that fits your budget.

We offer both, MST is the more popular option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #3
xbanwanx
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 g87

I meant in terms of hp and sound do you have a prefrence?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:39 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanwanx View Post
I meant in terms of hp and sound do you have a prefrence?
We have a few options for your M2. I prefer the front mounts personally they give the most sound and such in pure ambient air. Install is a little tougher requiring you to remove your front bumper so if you want something. with good sound a an easy install i would go for our engine bay shielded intake.

Front mount - https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-g8x-m2-m3...-front-facing/

Engine bay shielded intake - https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-m2-m3-m4-...w-heat-shield/

Coming soon Carbon fiber Enclosed intake- https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-m2-m3-m4-...ld-air-intake/
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:23 PM   #5
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

This crazy bend seems "bad" for flow - I know it's a common way to do things, but it still hurts me, haha.

01-11-2024, 05:18 AM   #6
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
This crazy bend seems "bad" for flow - I know it's a common way to do things, but it still hurts me, haha.

This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
I don't like how that bend looks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

I used front mount intakes with this bend on my M4 and switched to regular intakes.

I did not feel any difference in how fast the car responds, and my data logs look the same.

Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 12:00 PM   #8
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I used front mount intakes with this bend on my M4 and switched to regular intakes.

I did not feel any difference in how fast the car responds, and my data logs look the same.

I dont think you would get a whole lot of true performance increase unless the tubing was larger than oem (you need to increase the flow for the benefit). To really benefit, you will then need to tune for the upgrade*.

*tuner who did my B9 S5 recently tuned an M3...27 hp increase from oem with BMC filters to Eventuri, which has increased tubing size (when tuned for the greater airflow).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:24 PM   #9
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I dont think you would get a whole lot of true performance increase unless the tubing was larger than oem (you need to increase the flow for the benefit). To really benefit, you will then need to tune for the upgrade*.

*tuner who did my B9 S5 recently tuned an M3...27 hp increase from oem with BMC filters to Eventuri, which has increased tubing size (when tuned for the greater airflow).
Hate to break it to you but your turbo inlet is not 3-4 inches. Any gain by changing the media filter is strictly from having a larger filter (read this as surface area) to allow air to pass. This means the pressure differential between static air and the air in the pipe is less. This allows the turbo to gulp more air. You will run out of turbo before the stock tubing diameter can't flow enough air to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:29 PM   #10
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
Hate to break it to you but your turbo inlet is not 3-4 inches. Any gain by changing the media filter is strictly from having a larger filter (read this as surface area) to allow air to pass. This means the pressure differential between static air and the air in the pipe is less. This allows the turbo to gulp more air. You will run out of turbo before the stock tubing diameter can't flow enough air to keep up.
I have upgraded everthing for a stage 2 tune. The tune is done specifically for the change. Not going to argue this, speak to a real/reputable tuner if you think otherwise...or dont and think you are correct. No bother to me.

Here, do some reading.

https://www.eventuri.net/products/bmw-g80-g82-m3-m4/

Last edited by M_Power Rob; 01-11-2024 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:24 AM   #11
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I have upgraded everthing for a stage 2 tune. The tune is done specifically for the change. Not going to argue this, speak to a real/reputable tuner if you think otherwise...or dont and think you are correct. No bother to me.

Here, do some reading.

https://www.eventuri.net/products/bmw-g80-g82-m3-m4/
It's fun your link talks about volume and temps. It acknowledgeds exact what I said about cone filters and also acknowledges that higher inlet temps are typically more harmful than the increase in air. What's your point. This link literally explains what I just explained with every other variable. You simply said that the larger intake itself (airflow) was the cause. Airflow is not the cause of the increase and the tube size is irrelevant and it is clearly explained in your link. The cause of the gain is a drop in inlet temps.

I'm correcting an incorrect explanation of how things work. I'm not arguing with you.

From your source

Quote:
The inlets themselves are up to 160% larger in cross sectional area than stock and are designed with an advanced dimpled inner surface to reduce frictional losses between the flow and the wall boundary.
As I said the larger filter reduces the drop in pressure between the outside air and inside air. Odd your link agrees with me.

Quote:
The first graph shows the temperatures on before both turbos with the stock airbox on the left and the Eventuri intake on the right. Due to scaling, the axes are not perfectly matched between both graphs but the numbers can be clearly seen. As expected, the RHS of the intake showed similar data between stock and Eventuri since the flow path and materials are similar. However, the LHS intake shows a significant improvement in IAT for the Eventuri. This can be seen in the second graph where the 2 charts are overlaid. On each successive pull the Eventuri shows a lower IAT as compared to stock and also the spike in temperature as throttle is lifted is significantly lower with the Eventuri. This difference is down to the more direct flow path with the Eventuri and also the materials used in the turbo inlet.
The company directly relates their increase in power to, wait for it, temperature drop over stock. Which is not airflow it's designed to pull cooler air and in their link they admit they use the same materials.

Edit: what they call the 'turbo inlet' is not the turbo inlet. The actual turbo inlet is metal and can't be changed.

Last edited by micah_675; 01-12-2024 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:09 PM   #12
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
It's fun your link talks about volume and temps. It acknowledgeds exact what I said about cone filters and also acknowledges that higher inlet temps are typically more harmful than the increase in air. What's your point. This link literally explains what I just explained with every other variable. You simply said that the larger intake itself (airflow) was the cause. Airflow is not the cause of the increase and the tube size is irrelevant and it is clearly explained in your link. The cause of the gain is a drop in inlet temps.

I'm correcting an incorrect explanation of how things work. I'm not arguing with you.

From your source

As I said the larger filter reduces the drop in pressure between the outside air and inside air. Odd your link agrees with me.

The company directly relates their increase in power to, wait for it, temperature drop over stock. Which is not airflow it's designed to pull cooler air and in their link they admit they use the same materials.

Edit: what they call the 'turbo inlet' is not the turbo inlet. The actual turbo inlet is metal and can't be changed.

The link is not "my source" but Eventuri who partnered with Akrapovic on their intake.

Blah blah blah...you talk a good story. Keep thinking what you want. I have seen it with dyno results (but I guess you will say that is wrong as well). Good day...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:13 PM   #13
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
I hope you enjoy your car. Please stop advising people because you are clueless.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 04:13 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
I don't like how that bend looks.
That will have little to no effect on the amount of air the turbo can suck through the pipe. The pipe is more than large enough to supply anything the turbo needs.

A customer of ours just logged our front Mount intake 40 -130.

Car is a stage 2 50% e85 map Difference of 11 degrees

Mods:
Bootmod Flash
MAD Front Mount intake
Catless Downpipes
Exhaust
Attached Images

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 01-19-2024 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:05 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
That will have little to no effect on the amount of air the turbo can suck through the pipe. The pipe is more than large enough to supply anything the turbo needs.

Mods:
Bootmod Flash
MAD Front Mount intake
Catless Downpipes
Exhaust
Excellent results

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 09:42 PM   #16
M2Jorge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post

Mods:
Bootmod Flash
MAD Front Mount intake
Catless Downpipes
Exhaust
Is there a horse power reading to this? I’m interested in the mods
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #17
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep