bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-20-2024, 09:00 PM   #1
bozo777
Rep
Drives: M240IX LCI

Thoughts on Cen-Cal Motorsports Cat-back Exhuast?

Hey all,

I saw that Cen-cal Motorsports has an exhaust for the G42, and I wondered whether anyone has input on their brand or products. Their prices are competitive considering a full catback system is around $1849. They don't list where their products are made but I assume it's from the same area as other companies. Valvetronic also makes one for the G42 but it's priced at $3000 (priced similarly to Miltek, FI..etc )and they share the same remote. 1stockf30 on YouTube just installed one for his m240 and it looks pretty good.

TLDR: Just wanted to ask whether anyone has opinions on this brand or their exhaust systems as I couldn't find much on other forums. Is this something worth considering at this price, as you wouldn't need to cut the exhaust like on the Dinan? and won't have to pay 3k and up for a cat-back from other companies.

1stockf30 video:

link to their website: https://cencalmotorsport.com/product...tainless-steel

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 10:28 PM   #2
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

The axel backs aren't a big deal even the M performance exhaust for our car is an axel back and requires cutting the exhaust to install it. Fairly simple to do and the stock exhaust has some indents where you cut it. I posted that exhaust on another thread a guy there went nuts because china sadly most stuff even if initally made in the US ends up being mass produced in a chinese factory with a US made jig/check fixture. The cencal exhaust looks like the one I linked below probably made by JTLD which makes a ton of automotive stuff.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 10:46 PM   #3
bozo777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
The cencal exhaust looks like the one I linked below probably made by JTLD which makes a ton of automotive stuff.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A
yeah, it looks exactly like the cencal . Most exhaust is made overseas anyway, just depends on what factory they choose; some are better than others. Valvetronic welds and quality visually look good compared to others. The only issue with Aliexpress ones and possibly Cencal could be support. I am not sure but I see what you mean with the Dinan/MPE axle-back. The process looks really simple but for a similar price would you go ali-catback?

Anyway glad more options are coming for the G42 still, good or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:00 PM   #4
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah I mean I don't care if its made in china if it fits. I really only have an issues if its sold to you as made here at a huge premium and the company is really just shipping you something you could get on ali express. I have the MPE exhaust dinan wasnt out yet. Price wise its probably the best only a couple hundred more than mpe and I assume you can swap the ugly tips for something better looking if you wanted. Like 99% of the stuff is made in china so its just kind of a crap shoot. The benefit of a company in the US selling it to you is you hope they back it up a bit and take care of problems that may arise, to me thats worth something but not double what you could buy it for. I'm really hoping AWE and AA make a catback at some point be nice if the aftermarket was a bit better for this car, some rear diffuser options that work better with quad tips would be excellent. I forgot to add the midpipe on our cars has no res or anything so catback really isnt needed you could possible get some sound of a different mid section but its pretty free flowing as is.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:14 PM   #5
bozo777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
I'm really hoping AWE and AA make a catback at some point be nice if the aftermarket was a bit better for this car, some rear diffuser options that work better with quad tips would be excellent.
yeah, I agree with your take on the Ali-stuff. If AWE can whip something up that would be endgame. I am constantly looking for diffuser options as well, Maxton Design has a couple of options but just seems like 'ricey' for the price point. they have their stuff on lockdown with the factories though as I can't find any other examples elsewhere.

I mean I can't hate on Ali/Ebay stuff though I've gone through two splitters already and they always come through with the shipping.

on Instagram has a great rear-end setup on the g42. some inspiration
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:40 PM   #6
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah the maxton stuff looks pretty good. Guy here named Value just did a full kit basically. I would assume now that the shock of its looks are wearing off we start seeing more of the m240 in the wild and aftermarket companies see a profitable market to develop stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:18 PM   #7
vntperformance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M240iDrive*

Meh.. as soon as you see it's Chinese made, it's a turn off - long term ownership will be the true test in regards to how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:23 PM   #8
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

We recommend this if your looking for the best sound and experience

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30889711
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:08 AM   #9
vntperformance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M240iDrive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvetronic Designs View Post
We recommend this if your looking for the best sound and experience

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30889711
looks like you're doing is trying to promote your product.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:34 AM   #10
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntperformance View Post
looks like you're doing is trying to promote your product.
Absolutely! We have worked hard to create the ultimate setup for the G42 community. we have already had some great interest but looking forward to the product scaling 🤘
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:35 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would stay away; their advertising methods raise concerns.

When selecting any BMW model, they show MAD images but wont tell you if that's the downpipe you are getting. Their description is vague, stating, "(we stock various S55 downpipes, including MAD, Cen-Cal, Agency Performance. All of these are produced in the same factory, so the product is identical)."

The disclaimer makes no sense. Given the many factories in China, the likelihood of all these downpipes (which look completely different) being manufactured in the same facility is slim to none.

Such ambiguous advertising tactics do not inspire confidence in their products. It would be more transparent and trustworthy to display photos of the downpipe being sold and a detailed description. If it's a competitive product, consumers will buy it over other brands.

If their public representation is anything to go by, I don't even want to know how they handle support privately. It all seems like a series of red flags to me.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:43 AM   #12
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

The piping is 2.5” where it connects to the Downpipe then gets bigger near the muffler. #Fail

Minus the weight savings. It’s a downgrade over stock
Appreciate 0