home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

02-01-2024, 01:58 PM   #1
Tacomaster
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 f87

What mods will void factory warranty?

Hey everybody!

I’m getting pretty close to receiving my g87, it’s ready for transport! I’m starting to look at all the mods I want to do to the car but am worried about what may void the factory warranty.

Here is a list of things I plan on adding and am hoping if anyone here could help point out what will void a warranty if I were to take it in for service or a repair.

HAS lowering kit
Yellow drl
Spacers
Mid pipe
Axleback exhaust
Intake
Jb4 tune
Downpipe

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:41 PM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

all of them could void warranty..
Appreciate 5
Geighty71404.50
M2siast5876.00
Keefy1595.50
Chi5824.00
      02-01-2024, 03:34 PM   #3
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
all of them could void warranty..
True. The only exception I can see is the HAS kit if it was port installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 03:44 PM   #4
Tacomaster
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 f87

That’s crazy to me that most of these would void the warranty. I can see the down pipe and jb4 tune voiding it though. The amount of modded M cars I see, I would think that there isn’t a huge concern with modding. I guess most people cross their fingers nothing goes wrong with the car and accept the consequences if anything happens.

Last edited by Tacomaster; 02-01-2024 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 04:39 PM   #5
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

It all depends on your Service Advisor, Shop Foreman, and Dealership. My experience with and talking to people over the years:

HAS lowering kit - If you go aftermarket, it will void any suspension warranty unless you return it to stock and replicate the issue.
Yellow drl - If it blows out your headlights or electrical system, yes. Good luck,
Spacers - Very grey area. If they cause an issues while installed, it's not a warranty problem. It's your problem. Don't run spacers.
Mid pipe - No.
Axleback exhaust - No.
Intake - Probably not.
Jb4 tune - 100%
Downpipe - Depends on your SA, but likely.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
LCDRJohn607.50
Chi5824.00
      02-02-2024, 07:04 AM   #6
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

I just wanted to drop a note about "voiding the warranty" in relation to aftermarket and non-OEM parts. When I worked in an install shop in the 1990s this became a big controversy.

Under US law, a vehicle manufacturer cannot, in blanket fashion, "void" a warranty in its entirety. The Magnusen-Moss Act protects some of your rights in this regard.

What the dealer CAN do, is if there is a cause/affect relationship to the failure that must be plausible, they can refuse to pay for the repair. But there has to be a direct, or somewhat direct relationship. For example, upgrading your stock speakers with new speakers would not be related to a failed shock absorber...but adding a 200lb subwoofer box likely would contribute. Hence, your blown rear shocks may be on you.

The evil thing is that unless you would be willing to hire a lawyer, you are under the thumb of the dealer and/or manufacturer.
Appreciate 1
Ravenseal2755.00
      02-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaster View Post
Hey everybody!

I’m getting pretty close to receiving my g87, it’s ready for transport! I’m starting to look at all the mods I want to do to the car but am worried about what may void the factory warranty.

Here is a list of things I plan on adding and am hoping if anyone here could help point out what will void a warranty if I were to take it in for service or a repair.

HAS lowering kit
Yellow drl
Spacers
Mid pipe
Axleback exhaust
Intake
Jb4 tune
Downpipe

Thanks in advance!
Pretty much installing any part that is not approved by use by BMW/EPA/CARB (for cars in CA).

The mid pipe, Axle Back exhaust, intake mod, JB4 tune, down pipe would likely result in any engine (or exhaust like converters) issue being denied warranty coverage.

Warranty...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1741-0-3_10_BMW_New_Vehicle_Warranty_PC0322_prv.pdf (892.4 KB, 24 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 10:54 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

No disrespect, OP, but the same thread and question have been raised weekly for the last ten years.

This is my opinion, and based on my experience and research, no mod will void your warranty. But if an aftermarket part damages a stock component, the dealership will not fix it for free. They will still handle all unrelated issues for free.

I know someone who fried their DME when removing it; they got it exchanged at the dealership (paid for it, of course), and their warranty was still not voided. The car was also tuned, by the way.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
DO_e903.00
      02-02-2024, 10:59 AM   #9
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Pretty much installing any part that is not approved by use by BMW/EPA/CARB (for cars in CA).

The mid pipe, Axle Back exhaust, intake mod, JB4 tune, down pipe would likely result in any engine (or exhaust like converters) issue being denied warranty coverage.

Warranty...
Lol. What? Installing an exhaust doesn't void the warranty on your engine.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:04 PM   #10
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
It can flag your account and/or void powertrain warranty.

For those who plan on modding, look into starting a relationship with an independent or local tuner instead of bringing in your BMW to the dealer. Otherwise, leave it stock until warranty has lapsed if warranty is a concern. Most times, independents are going be considerably less cost, give better/more personalized service and most importantly - not void warranties! Save the big stuff for the dealership if something should happen down the road.

Every situation is different, someone's past experience with mods at a dealership is no guarantee yours will be the same.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
Geighty71404.50
      02-02-2024, 04:56 PM   #11
MPowerLUFC
Rep
Drives: Was F87 now G87

In UK any mods void warranty. Any. My understanding is in the US it’s very different.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:14 PM   #12
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowershift View Post
In UK any mods void warranty. Any. My understanding is in the US it’s very different.
No different, other than we get 4 year/50K vs only a 3 year warranty?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 12:42 AM   #13
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It can flag your account and/or void powertrain warranty.

For those who plan on modding, look into starting a relationship with an independent or local tuner instead of bringing in your BMW to the dealer. Otherwise, leave it stock until warranty has lapsed if warranty is a concern. Most times, independents are going be considerably less cost, give better/more personalized service and most importantly - not void warranties! Save the big stuff for the dealership if something should happen down the road.

Every situation is different, someone's past experience with mods at a dealership is no guarantee yours will be the same.
Absolutely no sane service advisor or shop foreman will void your powertrain warranty for walking in with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm personally friends with master technicians and service advisors at one of the largest BMW dealerships in Colorado and recently had this very same conversation with them about the G87. Maybe if you act like a complete asshole when you walk through the door they'll go out of their way to make you miserable, but never has that been my experience modifying BMWs for 15 years.

Appreciate 2
      02-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #14
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely no sane service advisor or shop foreman will void your powertrain warranty for walking in with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm personally friends with master technicians and service advisors at one of the largest BMW dealerships in Colorado and recently had this very same conversation with them about the G87. Maybe if you act like a complete asshole when you walk through the door they'll go out of their way to make you miserable, but never has that been my experience modifying BMWs for 15 years.
My BMW experience in this regard is limited. But over the years with other brands of cars this question of what voids a warranty comes up all the time.

And of course there are reports/claims by some individuals that mods are ignored and warranty claims are granted. That's great I guess -- 'course, we all pay for the generosity of dealer who warranty mod'd cars/engines -- but I don't think one can assume he'll have the same good luck as others have had regarding a generous dealer when it comes to warranty claims.

But there are about the same number of owners who report mods result in a denial of warranty. And to be sure not all owners will have the same bad luck to get a dealer who says *NO* to warranty claims with mod's present.

My advice is to always consult the auto maker's warranty manual and read what is allowed or not allowed.

One can of course chose to ignore some or all of what and mod away and if a warranty claim needs to be submitted see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:57 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Installing exhaust parts that are not EPA/CARB approved does void the federal warranty on exhaust emission coverage. As an aside it is in violation of federal law to modify the exhaust in this way.

The presence of aftermarket non-BMW approved/certified parts can invalidate some of the warranty (exhaust or engine)l

From the warranty booklet from under the WHAT IS NOT COVERED section:

Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise.

Installing exhaust mods which produce more power certainly alters the original engineering and/or operation specifications.

If the engine manifests some problem/issue almost certainly the presence of any exhaust mod will be blamed. BMW doesn't test after exhaust mods it only tests what is installed at the factory. And it can based on the results of its testing offer a 4 year/50K mile warranty.

To expect BMW to extend warranty coverage with non-BMW parts used to modify such a critical system as the exhaust is almost certainly not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 10:23 AM   #16
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

DrJohn touched on this but aftermarket parts DO NOT VOID a warranty. What they can do is have the dealer deny a warranty claim if they deem the aftermarket part(s) caused the malfunction. That is very different than voiding a warranty. A downpipe isn't going to cause the denial of a warranty claim if your blinker malfunctions. The exceptions being emissions issues because of all the federal legislation, as RC pointed all any emissions issues can be voided.

And if anyone thinks the MM Act protects you then you need to do some in depth research and reading because it does not do what most people think it does.

And another thing to add, even if you think you're on the right side of the warranty and try to take any car co. to court, after you spend $50k on a lawyer, remember, they all have lawyers that supervise the writing of the warranties and deal with this every day. You have a snowballs chance in hell.

Every time I've modified a car/bike I've always accepted the fact that if something goes wrong, I'm screwed. If you're not willing to accept that, then don't mod.
Appreciate 5
      02-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #17
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
DrJohn touched on this but aftermarket parts DO NOT VOID a warranty. What they can do is have the dealer deny a warranty claim if they deem the aftermarket part(s) caused the malfunction. That is very different than voiding a warranty. A downpipe isn't going to cause the denial of a warranty claim if your blinker malfunctions. The exceptions being emissions issues because of all the federal legislation, as RC pointed all any emissions issues can be voided.

And if anyone thinks the MM Act protects you then you need to do some in depth research and reading because it does not do what most people think it does.

And another thing to add, even if you think you're on the right side of the warranty and try to take any car co. to court, after you spend $50k on a lawyer, remember, they all have lawyers that supervise the writing of the warranties and deal with this every day. You have a snowballs chance in hell.

Every time I've modified a car/bike I've always accepted the fact that if something goes wrong, I'm screwed. If you're not willing to accept that, then don't mod.

This says it all...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 11:56 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post

excellent post

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #19
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Installing exhaust parts that are not EPA/CARB approved does void the federal warranty on exhaust emission coverage. As an aside it is in violation of federal law to modify the exhaust in this way.

The presence of aftermarket non-BMW approved/certified parts can invalidate some of the warranty (exhaust or engine)l

From the warranty booklet from under the WHAT IS NOT COVERED section:

Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise.

Installing exhaust mods which produce more power certainly alters the original engineering and/or operation specifications.

If the engine manifests some problem/issue almost certainly the presence of any exhaust mod will be blamed. BMW doesn't test after exhaust mods it only tests what is installed at the factory. And it can based on the results of its testing offer a 4 year/50K mile warranty.

To expect BMW to extend warranty coverage with non-BMW parts used to modify such a critical system as the exhaust is almost certainly not going to happen.
You clearly don't understand what you're talking about, but keep telling yourself whatever lets you sleep comfortably at night.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #20
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Fwiw - aftermarket parts are obviously not covered under your new vehicle warranty, and IF the aftermarket parts can be proven (burden is on the dealer) to have led to another part/system failure, then that repair will not be covered. A dealership cannot void a warranty or refuse warranty work, only BMW Corp can.

For those that don't understand how an exhaust system works, an aftermarket exhaust does not cause an engine to produce more power. An aftermarket exhaust system may free up more power that is already being produced by the engine. There is no way an exhaust system would cause a powertrain failure.

Now if you remove or alter the catalytic converters, your emissions system warranty would be void, but it would have no effect on your powertrain warranty.

For those saying you'd have to hire a lawyer to fight a voided warranty, in many states you can contact your Attorney General's Office and they will fight the auto manufacturer for you if you have a legitimate case. I had to do this against GM, and within 3 weeks of them getting involved I had brand new engine installed.

The only item on OP's list that is likely 100% to void a warranty is tuning.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post

For those saying you'd have to hire a lawyer to fight a voided warranty, in many states you can contact your Attorney General's Office and they will fight the auto manufacturer for you if you have a legitimate case. I had to do this against GM, and within 3 weeks of them getting involved I had brand new engine installed.

The only item on OP's list that is likely 100% to void a warranty is tuning.
Nice!

The good news is that it never gets this far with BMW. there are hundreds of thousands of tuned BMWs, if warranty was an issue, this forum would be filled with voided warranty threads.

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #22
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice!

The good news is that it never gets this far with BMW. there are hundreds of thousands of tuned BMWs, if warranty was an issue, this forum would be filled with voided warranty threads.

I also think many who own BMWs know what they are getting into and either know how to handle or take responsibility that it is their obligation to repair/replace without crying the blues that their repair was denied due an aftermarket modification.
Appreciate 0