home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-09-2024, 07:17 AM   #1
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Suspension upgrades

I want to do some upgrades; part of me wants to go overboard and do a full SPL upgrade... but this isn't a dedicated track car; I try to get on track quarterly. What is everyone's opinion on upgrades that make a positive difference? I would love some NVH, as the car feels a little dead, haha, so swapping to these arms seems worthwhile.

Currently, I'm 100 stock... I want to upgrade to true coilovers, but that won't be until next year, at least. I plan to get front camber plates and Eibach springs to fit wider wheels and give me more front camber at a minimum.
      02-10-2024, 04:42 PM   #2
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

I saw someone mention being able to swap certain CS suspension parts onto the G87, been meaning to look more into it
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 06:20 PM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
I saw someone mention being able to swap certain CS suspension parts onto the G87, been meaning to look more into it

The M4 CSL strut brace is compatible (IND has them) along with cf strut braces.

If tracking the car, thats one thing but making it super stiff for daily street driving may not be what you want (or maybe it is?).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:49 AM   #4
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep

For example, https://europeanautosource.com/produ...w-g8x-m2-m3-m4

I hear great things/improvement to feel just swapping this bushing - but if I'm doing all the work, I'd instead replace the whole arm - I hate doing bushings, lol.. But I'm curious if any of the other arms give a greater feeling or perhaps adjustment that is good to have and worthwhile. I'm trying to avoid throwing $3k randomly at a "not really a problem" kind of thing.
      02-13-2024, 09:16 AM   #5
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
But I'm curious if any of the other arms give a greater feeling or perhaps adjustment that is good to have and worthwhile. I'm trying to avoid throwing $3k randomly at a "not really a problem" kind of thing.
That is a good way of thinking for sure. So, what do you think you need to improve, what do you think is lacking?

If you want to improve the steering feel, nothing will really help, just because of the fact that it is electric and not hydraulic. Although bushings will improve the responsiveness of the chassis, they won't improve the feel of the steering.
      02-13-2024, 10:01 AM   #6
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
That is a good way of thinking for sure. So, what do you think you need to improve, what do you think is lacking?

If you want to improve the steering feel, nothing will really help, just because of the fact that it is electric and not hydraulic. Although bushings will improve the responsiveness of the chassis, they won't improve the feel of the steering.
I guess I somewhat throw chassis responsiveness into the same bucket of "steering feel"; I think of it as input/output. I had the CS firmware done on the car, and that has made things feel tighter in the wheel, but there is a kind of delay in input/output. I will probably just be chasing my tail more or less because of the electric steering in general.
      02-13-2024, 11:24 AM   #7
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
If I understand your sentiment of 'delay' in input/output, there are few simple things that can be done, although none of them I would consider cheap, nor prescriptive, sure-fire solutions

For example, first thing that comes to my mind is tires. Many reviews of PS4S mention such delay mid-corner. If you have those tires, you may consider changing to a more responsive tire set.

Bushings certainly would help with minimizing the delay with the stock suspension, but the downside is NVH in my opinion.

Another approach is to change the shocks. That is one change that will make the most drastic impact. Changing shocks, generally would also lead to changing the springs. So, a good coilover set would make a big change, and I am not using the word "improvement" on purpose.

None of the above are objective changes, although they appear that way on paper. It is very dependent on the driver and the compromises they are willing to tolerate. For me, at this moment, the car is at the perfect benefit/compromise point. Very responsive, although I have PS4S tires on, and everything is stock. After I run the car on track, my views might change over time. For now, I want to explore how far can I get to match the car's capabilities before I decide what can be realistically improved. For street driving, I would not change anything and compromise further down the NVH.
      02-25-2024, 08:22 AM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
For example, https://europeanautosource.com/produ...w-g8x-m2-m3-m4

I hear great things/improvement to feel just swapping this bushing - but if I'm doing all the work, I'd instead replace the whole arm - I hate doing bushings, lol.. But I'm curious if any of the other arms give a greater feeling or perhaps adjustment that is good to have and worthwhile. I'm trying to avoid throwing $3k randomly at a "not really a problem" kind of thing.
I'm interested in this as well. Joe Achilles and a few other reviewers mention how the front end of the M2 is a bit more "pushy" and somehow feels less responsive than an M4. Supposedly the same suspension? or are there parts differences between the 2 that could be swapped out? Maybe it is just those bushings?

Also wonder about spring rates and if anyone has noticed a difference in feel between the stock springs and the MP HAS springs with heavier M3/M4 spring rates?

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0