BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Photos / Videos / Builds / Journals

02-13-2024, 01:37 AM   #1
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Cool A Perfect Day, An Incredible Machine, A Dream Fulfilled:Driving the G87 M2 in Japan

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The sun hangs overhead, casting a brilliant glow on the crisp winter air, while the roads encircling me paint a breathtaking picture. As I approach a tightening curve, the vibrant surroundings transform from a motion-blurred spectacle to crystal clear clarity as I dig into the brake pedal and rapidly hit the downshift paddle. With the six-piston calipers up front biting down hard, Fourth, third, and second, arrive — as the resonating echoes of the exhaust reverberate through the mountainous terrain with thunderous claps.

There's little time to savour the moment though as I unwind the steering wheel and ease into the throttle to once again unleash 453 horses as the hairpin opens up into a long sweeping curve revealing the magnificent sight of a snow-capped Mt Fuji in the distance. It is a splendid sight and a majestic beauty that belies the awesome power lying deep within. But with the cacophony of slightly more minute explosions bursting out the rear pipes of my exhaust, my focus sharpens again as I dive into the next bend. This is Hakone, Japan, and I'm behind the wheel of a BMW M2.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Backstory

It's 1998, and a much younger and more impressionable version of myself was about to embark on his first-ever trip to Japan—a genuine adventure beyond the borders of Singapore. Despite a somewhat rushed itinerary covering the essentials of Kansai and Tokyo, the experience was transformative. As a fervent automotive enthusiast engrossed in games like Gran Turismo, this initial visit during the golden era of JDM sportscars left an indelible mark on my life. Even in the outskirts, I encountered a multitude of Skylines, RX7s, Fairladys, numerous 180SXs and Silvias, and the occasional NSX. A serendipitous sighting of an Autech 4-door GTR added a touch of automotive rarity to the experience.

It was also during this visit that, albeit from the confines of a minibus, I first laid eyes on the roads of Hakone, driven by my Japanese teacher, who turned out to be a fan of the Touge as well in his S130 Fairlady!

As I stood on the edge of the rest stop nonchalant to the slight drizzle of rain lightly misting down my jacket I caught sight of Hakone's meandering roads, A delicate fog descended upon the asphalt like a spectral veil. Amid the occasional crackle of branches and the haunting wind, it seemed as though time had momentarily paused, if only for a few milliseconds. At that moment, I made a silent promise to myself – one day, I will be back to drive these roads.

As we all know, time has a way of altering plans. Despite visiting Japan almost every year for nearly two decades, I never managed to return to Hakone, at least not in the manner I initially envisioned (I'm pretty sure Pirate ships don't count). Until now.

Interestingly, while I never did make it back to drive in Japan, my love for cars never waned and through years of hard work or perhaps just sheer luck, I've had the pleasure of driving some amazing BMWs in a multitude of beautiful locations. It was during one of these overseas assignments that I had the opportunity to meet a representative from BMW Group Japan. I think you can see where this is going.

Enter BMW Group Japan. Enter the Hakone Turnpike.

As I navigated through Tokyo's congested roads en route towards destiny, the G87 M2, generously entrusted to me by BMW Group Japan, effortlessly devoured the motorway miles (or kilometers). Despite certain critiques about the new M2's more mature handling compared to its predecessor, the heightened stability and improved ride quality derived from its M3/M4 chassis contributed significantly to the overall enjoyment of the commute.

It didn't take very long before the signs towards one of Japan's most legendary and iconic roads loomed into view.

Extending just over 15 kilometers with an elevation climb of over 1,000 meters, the Hakone Turnpike was inaugurated in 1969 as a toll road (with a mostly 50km/h speed limit) linking Odawara to Yugawara. Over the years, it underwent a couple of name alterations, featuring brand sponsorships from Toyo Tires and Mazda. Presently, the toll road is under the ownership of the Hakone Turnpike subsidiary of the Central Nippon Expressway Company, going by the name Anest Iwata Turnpike. With my entry toll paid, it was time to fulfill a childhood dream.

[img][/img]

So delightful is the M2's torque, so accessible is its power, and so surefooted, competent, and confidence-inspiring is the handling that I find myself pushing harder and harder as the altitude rises. Relentlessly encouraging me to explore its limits with its Turbocharged S58's heartbeat playfully dancing up and down the digital tachometer with each flick of my wrists. Powering down a long sweeping bend, the M2 leans just enough to communicate what's happening, and as I keep the throttle down, I feel the rear end dig into the ground as the M2's computerized active differentials perform their mathematical wizardry to provide the best possible power delivery.

[img][/img]

With the Turnpike's sweeping curves that hug the hillsides and stretches of tarmac that punch through dense forest and trees before opening up into a beautifully scenic bridge for you to power through. This combination of road and machine provided an almost a dream-like driving experience, offering a smooth, intoxicating journey so beautifully presented and so enjoyable to sample that I catch myself on multiple occasions wishing it never ends.

Skylines and skylines.

As I summit the Turnpike, my day has only just begun. Pulling into the Anest rest stop, my eyes catch a glimpse of a beautiful Hakosuka Skyline. Judging by its battle scars, it seems to be in a similar Touge-hunting mood.

Sporting its dings, scratches, dirt, and chips with pride, this vintage Nissan hotrod looks far from a garage queen.

Despite the GT-X insignia in the cabin, implying its likely modest beginnings, the fat, worn tires, wheels coated with brake dust, exhaust-stained rear panels, and fully stripped-out, caged interior signal a build that transcends mere aesthetics. Could that S20 window decal offer a glimpse of what truly hides beneath its bonnet?

It seems I wasn't the only one captivated by the allure of the Hakosuka Skyline, as its distinctive features, battle scars, and unique modifications garnered attention and admiration from fellow travelers at the Anest rest stop.

With lunch devoured, it was time to ignite the M2 for the picturesque journey along the Tsubaki Line and Izu Skyline Touge roads. These winding roads, characterized by narrower paths, intricate bends, and blind corners, occasionally unveil expansive and breathtaking views of Mt. Fuji. As I unleash the power of the S58 once more, let's circle back to our introduction as I power down a short straightaway into a blind crest before dabbing on the brakes to rein in the charging Bavarian, Orbital's Halycon On and On playing in the background as the M2 flawlessly and joyously absorbs every moment of the drive, never missing a beat.

Taking a moment at a secluded but very picturesque side road to also rein in my adrenaline, I found myself pondering the significance of the color red. Beyond its visual allure, this scarlet hue embodies essences of passion, joy, happiness, celebration, and vitality. Characteristics that resonated perfectly with how it has felt powering this rouge beauty through the dynamic landscapes of Hakone.

The Perfect Partner.

With traffic ahead, I settled into the cruise along the West Izu Skyline, the M2 gracefully navigating the winding roads leading to the coastal town of Numazu, Shizuoka. The scenery unfolds in a captivating display of nature's beauty, enhancing my sense of awe and exhilaration. The memories of the exuberant morning drive lingered, merging seamlessly with the present moment. It was sheer bliss and the M2 was the perfect partner to enjoy it with. Until I saw it, as the lumbering bus ahead of me pulled off, I caught sight of the unmistakable rear end of a G82 M4. Without hesitation, I punched the M2 button, prompting a burst of acceleration as I eagerly closed in on the M4 whose driver, likely sensing the impending arrival of his car's baby sibling, responded by unleashing the power of the M4, it was go time.

It must have been quite the spectacle as we gracefully danced along the winding roads of Nishi-Izu Skyline, the M4 leading while I kept pace. Two of Munich's finest machines playfully carving up and down the mountains in unison, with the M4 occasionally surging into the distance, aided by a driver much more acquainted with these roads. As the M4 pulled away into the distance as I hooked a left into another narrow Touge road leading towards Numazu, it felt like a beautiful moment that perfectly encapsulated the phrase "Freude Am Fahren" had just unfolded.

Numazu, Toronto, and Mount Fuji.

Nestled along the picturesque Shizuoka coastline and with roots dating back to ancient times, Numazu has evolved into a modern town while retaining its historical essence. Known for its tranquil atmosphere, coastal charm, seafood offerings, and local markets, This scenic coastal town offers a mix of coastal simplicity and natural beauty ideal for a noteworthy stop on any road journey. Me? I only had time to stop for a photo. But what a view!

As the sun cast its brilliance on the G87's Toronto Red body, I marveled at the fresh aesthetic perspective it offered compared to the Zandvoort Blue example I drove in Singapore. While the M2's signature baby blue shade may attract attention, it doesn't handle reflections, depth, and shadows as effectively as this crimson beauty. Complemented by the 930M Bicolour wheels, the new M2's more daring and assertive design language truly came to life, especially with Mt. Fuji in the background, creating a truly breathtaking sight.

Chasing the sun, chasing a dream.

With this picturesque scene etched in my memory, the next leg of my journey led me along the coastal roads of Numazu, through the city of Mishima towards my next Touge. The city's traffic slowed my progress considerably, and the sunlight was slowly but surely subsiding by the time I reached the Ashinoko Skyline.

Linking National Route 1 near Hakone Pass to Kojiri on the northern shores of Lake Ashi, the Ashinoko Skyline is a picturesque toll road winding along the border of Kanagawa and Shizuoka prefectures on the western side of Hakone. Tracing the western ridge of the Hakone mountains, it offers vistas of Lake Ashi, Mt. Fuji, Mishima city, Numazu city, Suruga Bay, and the Izu Peninsula. As I pulled into a viewpoint with the sun setting, words almost failed to capture the awe-inspiring scene unfolding before me. It was truly a spectacular sight.

With my dream now fulfilled, I couldn't help but feel a surge of emotion. The beauty of the moment was overwhelming, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Thank you BMW Group Japan, it was the best drive I've ever had and the G87 M2 will forever remain special.

It was now time to have dinner and return to Tokyo. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by mockngbrd; 02-13-2024 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 65
apez649.50
playswcars3633.50
ourlee917.00
LCDRJohn607.50
Kanrai104.00
ronin130131000.50
Gryph8n25.50
MadMoose119.50
Baller145.50
Jason40910.50
2srsman68.00
Kief4440.00
chicagofan0019149.00
mikekay103.50
T0RM3NT3642.00
M_Torx328.00
bholler5341.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
MT6722.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
rush111298.50
SK2K42.00
jefe2000740.50
kgelfen3602217.00
Bankerbry307.00
Mark6731.00
      02-13-2024, 08:54 AM   #2
playswcars
///M-Thusiast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 M50i

Garage List
Amazing writeup!

Past: G80 M3x, G80 M3, G05 X5, F82 M4, F87 M2C, F20 M140i
Appreciate 2
mockngbrd810.00
GERMAN M34182.00
      02-13-2024, 09:13 PM   #3
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

mockngbrd This is a very nice writeup & thank you for taking the time to share this inspirational post with us. We're honored to know that the M2 is appreciated all the way over in Japan. I think this car is going to age well & confident you'll enjoy it for many years.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 09:49 PM   #4
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
mockngbrd This is a very nice writeup & thank you for taking the time to share this inspirational post with us. We're honored to know that the M2 is appreciated all the way over in Japan. I think this car is going to age well & confident you'll enjoy it for many years.

Thanks! Unfortunately, the car's not mine. It belongs to BMW Group Japan's press fleet and I pulled a favour with their PR peeps cos I write for a lot of BMWs in Singapore. I wish it were though, I can probably afford it in Japan, but in Singapore, the same M2 sells for a little over USD$350,000. (Yes, over three hundred, fifty grand)

It will remain a pipe dream for me for now.
Appreciate 5
      02-13-2024, 10:34 PM   #5
DriveWithDray
Jedi Knight
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C & 600LT

Really really cool thread and story! Great photos! Thanks for posting
That’s awesome
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #6
Kanrai
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockngbrd View Post
I can probably afford it in Japan, but in Singapore, the same M2 sells for a little over USD$350,000. (Yes, over three hundred, fifty grand)
Damn, what are the laws on importing one? I sure would sell mine for USD$300,000.00 that a 14% Discount!
Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50
      02-14-2024, 08:13 PM   #7
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanrai View Post
Damn, what are the laws on importing one? I sure would sell mine for USD$300,000.00 that a 14% Discount!
Majority of the $$$ are taxes.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      02-17-2024, 12:55 AM   #8
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Concluding Chapter.

After savoring an exceptional pizza from 808 Monsmare in Odawara, an experience that could rival the best I've had in Italy, it was time to ignite my scarlet M2 for the return leg back into the city. Over 8 hours had passed since I embarked on this journey, and while my body was voicing its complaints, my heart remained eager for more.

With the echoes of an exceptional drive still lingering, it was time to head to Daikoku and embrace the vast stretches of the Wangan.

Inaugurated in 1962, the Tokyo Wangan Expressway marked a watershed moment in the post-war history of Tokyo, catalyzing urban development and transportation infrastructure. The initial 4.5-kilometer stretch, connecting Shibuya and Ueno, was part of a comprehensive plan to address the city's then-burgeoning traffic congestion.

It was (and still is) a marvel of engineering, employing cutting-edge techniques for the time, including the innovative use of pre-stressed concrete for elevated sections. In 1964, the Tokyo Olympics acted as a catalyst, accelerating the project's timeline to showcase Japan's modernization efforts to the world.

By 1972, the expressway had expanded to approximately 15 kilometers, reflecting Tokyo's rapid economic growth, and in 1996, the Bayshore Route was completed, extending the Wangan's network to over 50 kilometers. Integrating iconic landmarks like Odaiba and Tokyo Bay into its path. The construction of the Bayshore Route featured state-of-the-art seismic isolation devices, underlining Japan's commitment to both technological innovation and disaster resilience.

Navigating through the evolving cityscape, the Wangan transformed, winding its way through urban sprawl, gracefully weaving between skyscrapers and revealing a breathtaking panorama of Tokyo Bay. This captivating scene unfolded before my eyes as I thundered back into Tokyo from the picturesque vistas of Hakone.

While the perception of a highway can indeed be subjective, for those who find themselves behind the wheel of the right car, on the right night, and with the perfect soundtrack, the Tokyo Wangan Expressway most certainly transcends the label of just another road. As the city's heartbeat pulsates through the steel, concrete, glass, plastic, and asphalt, this intricate network of thoroughfares takes on a life of its own, revealing an enchanting tapestry of driving euphoria that allows for an interplay of endless elevation changes and cambered curves.

It transforms the routine into an extraordinary journey, where machine and asphalt engage in an invigorating dance. The symphony of lights and shadows blends seamlessly with the engine's hum and the rhythmic sound of tires on the pavement, creating a driving experience that goes beyond the ordinary.

For the crazy few fully attuned to the harmonies of their car and the melodies of the road, It's not just a highway; it's a conduit to an unimaginably magical stretch of driving, where every turn becomes a broad brushstroke in a masterpiece of motion. While one might argue that this description leans towards hyperbole, it perfectly encapsulates the genuine sense of wonder and exhilaration that I experienced.

That said, enthusiastic driving can certainly take its toll on fuel consumption. As I exited the highway to refuel once again, it presented the ideal moment to punch Daikoku PA into my navigation for my very first visit to this legendary automotive locale.

Something I'd never imagine I'd see in my car's navigation display.

In a world where our shared passion frequently resides on the fringes, often on the wrong side, of public acceptance, cruising into Daikoku alongside kindred spirits felt almost like a long-awaited homecoming, even as a foreigner on a tranquil Monday evening. This is our tribe, and the language we speak is the language of cars. We share the same love.

While the evening started off rather quiet, it started getting filled up as the night went on with a bevy of GTRs turning up.

I reckon these are not your usual factory-spec R35s. Later on, the father of the Nissan GTR, Mr. Hiroshi Tamura, also made a notable appearance in a T-spec.

I guess it wouldn't feel right without a couple of Supras.

Given that this is Daikoku, and Japan, for that matter, every make and model was embraced.

The variety of cars even on a regular Monday night was staggering.

After being on the road for over half a day, fatigue began to set in, prompting me to recognize the need for some rest. Before firing up the M2 and making my way back into the city, I took one last look at Daikoku, appreciating the vibrant scene before bidding it farewell.

Particularly, the decision to opt for the automatic transmission over the manual became a focal point. Considering that this might be one of the last M-cars offering a stick shift, one might question if requesting the 6-speed would have been a more sensible choice. My honest answer? No. The automatic is the better choice. Allow me to elaborate.

While I acknowledge that a manual transmission would have added more enjoyment on certain stretches of the Touge, the unfamiliarity of the roads, especially some technical sections, would have undoubtedly hindered my progress. Having to manually shift gears would likely have added to my fatigue, given the circumstances. more so considering the sections in between each Touge that required navigating through traffic.

While a manual transmission would undeniably enhance the engagement factor, my lack of familiarity with the roads around Hakone, especially on more technical sections, would have no doubt impeded progress and perhaps, even contributed to fatigue during the sectors between each Touge that required navigating through slower traffic.

In contrast, the ZF automatic, with its finely tuned ratios, shift points, and synchronization to the M2's powerplant, delivered a brilliant drive that remained no less enjoyable while being significantly more accessible.

As I finally parked up outside my hotel more than 12 hours since I started, my body was in shambles, my mind was overwhelmed but my heart was full. A heartfelt thank you to BMW Group Japan for making this unforgettable experience possible. It was a perfect day and an euphoric night. I couldn't have asked for more,
Appreciate 18
apez649.50
playswcars3633.50
M2 CCO1100.00
xtougher560.00
ronin130131000.50
Baller145.50
2srsman68.00
bholler5341.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
M2siast5876.00
dmboone254972.00
jdmpimp66.00
      02-20-2024, 03:54 PM   #9
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Very, very well done!
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 04:12 PM   #10
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Damn, that red beauty w/bi-color wheels is making me think I might return to ICE and an M2 might be in my not-so-distant future. Looks awesome! I’m loving the M2 more and more as I consider my next move.

The money shot:
Attached Images

'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 5
      02-20-2024, 04:57 PM   #11
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Sick pictures man, can I blow one of these up and print on canvas for my garage?? I really need to fill a wall. I went to Okinawa, Tokyo and Kyoto a few years back. Amazing time will never forget, ill DM ya!
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #12
bholler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ferrari Red F80

Garage List
A lot to love here! Congrats on car! 🚗 💨

2017 ///M3 Individual Ferrari Red / Full Black Leather/ ZCP / DCT
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 05:35 PM   #13
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

That parked Hako still looks fast!
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #14
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Ultimate write up thank you
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 08:22 PM   #15
azlightning213
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

I’m gonna have to figure out how to save this to read offline on a flight or something. Ngl, scrolled through the glorious pictures ignoring most of the text, but I definitely need to give it proper time to read through. Kudos for the amount of free time you have to write up something like this, I envy that 😂

(No hate, seriously this is an iconic write-up)
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 10:13 PM   #16
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Horrible colour, fat pig of a car… terrible pictures and storyline. Hope you didn’t enjoy yourself during this trip. I had better things to do than do what you did, so I didn’t.
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd810.00
      02-20-2024, 10:55 PM   #17
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

What a great car the M2 is, if only they had an AWD version
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:41 AM   #18
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This write up is the best alternative to experiencing the thrill of driving in Japan.

Read it twice to appreciate all the details.
Appreciate 2
mockngbrd810.00
M2siast5876.00
      02-21-2024, 06:17 AM   #19
M3N4CE
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Horrible colour, fat pig of a car… terrible pictures and storyline. Hope you didn’t enjoy yourself during this trip. I had better things to do than do what you did, so I didn’t.
???
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 07:26 AM   #20
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Epic

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
mockngbrd810.00
M2siast5876.00
      02-21-2024, 08:25 AM   #21
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Amazing write-up and photos.

The new M2 looks awesome in red - looks great!

02-21-2024, 09:25 AM   #22
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Mocknbrd, great write-up. Fantastic pictures. I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that the Japan roads are well maintained and that you earn a living writing. Thanks for that.

Last edited by secretariat; 02-21-2024 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: mistake made
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00