home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-26-2024, 11:07 PM   #1
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Looking to make the switch to BBS LM’s in the next year or so- I don’t want to get rid of my OEM wheels just yet as I do love them and just got my G87 a month ago.

However- I would love to repaint or powder coat the OEM wheels (preferably white). Does anyone have any experience/expertise on this subject?

What are pros and cons for each of these options? I’ve never dealt with re-finishing my wheels. I don’t want to ruin these bad boys either…

My G87. Imagine the white OEM M wheels!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Ronin76740.00
      02-26-2024, 11:19 PM   #2
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Looking to make the switch to BBS LM’s in the next year or so- I don’t want to get rid of my OEM wheels just yet as I do love them and just got my G87 a month ago.

However- I would love to repaint or powder coat the OEM wheels (preferably white). Does anyone have any experience/expertise on this subject?

What are pros and cons for each of these options? I’ve never dealt with re-finishing my wheels. I don’t want to ruin these bad boys either…

I have done both. Powder coat is by far the better route. It is longer lasting and more durable. Its also significantly more expensive. You will also want to ceramic coat them after you powder coat/paint, so the cost keeps adding up.

Now, on the subject of doing it to the OEM rims...how long do you plan on using/keeping them once painted/powder coated? I ask because you will be investing a good amount of cash to powder coat and ceramic coat those heavy cast anchors.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:23 PM   #3
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I have done both. Powder coat is by far the better route. It is longer lasting and more durable. Its also significantly more expensive. You will also want to ceramic coat them after you powder coat/paint, so the cost keeps adding up.

Now, on the subject of doing it to the OEM rims...how long do you plan on using/keeping them once painted/powder coated? I ask because you will be investing a good amount of cash to powder coat and ceramic coat those heavy cast anchors.
Thanks for the advice on this! I was quoted $800 for the powder coat on all 4 and I can get them ceramic’d for about $400. All together that’s significantly less than the custom white face BBS LM 20’s I want for 9k lol.

Edit- I will keep OEM for about a year I say. Nothing else makes sense to me besides HRE or BBS. It’s also a hard pill to swallow spending that after not enjoying my OEM+ look.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:27 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree at all. Paint can ultimately be higher quality than powder coat and is more expensive if you want it done right by a good shop. Painted clear is harder than typical PC and the finish is smoother. There is a reason all OEM wheels are painted and it's not just for cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:32 PM   #5
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on this! I was quoted $800 for the powder coat on all 4 and I can get them ceramic’d for about $400. All together that’s significantly less than the custom white face BBS LM 20’s I want for 9k lol.

Edit- I will keep OEM for about a year I say. Nothing else makes sense to me besides HRE or BBS. It’s also a hard pill to swallow spending that after not enjoying my OEM+ look.

I hear ya. I ordered my Vossens three plus months before I took delivery of the car. Cost was over $10k plus ceramic coating and new tires but I have the right offset and size of rims to fit the car. I sold stock rims and tires with less than 20 miles on them to help defray some of the cost.
Appreciate 3
Geighty71400.00
chris7197334.00
Ronin76740.00
      02-26-2024, 11:38 PM   #6
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'm not sure I agree at all. Paint can ultimately be higher quality than powder coat and is more expensive if you want it done right by a good shop. Painted clear is harder than typical PC and the finish is smoother. There is a reason all OEM wheels are painted and it's not just for cost.

Think what you want but better do some research. You really think oem rims are painted cause its the better route?

I dont care how good of a paint job you get, it can be easily damaged. Of course, there is good and bad powder coating as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:39 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Think what you want but better do some research. Yoy really think oem rims are painted cause its the better route (just which high end oem rims are painted?)?

I dont care how good of a paint job you get, it can be easily damaged. Of course, there is good and bad powder coatibg as well.
I think you're the one that needs to do research. Every Porsche and Ferrari wheel is painted. Forged wheels are also NEVER powder coated because the bake temperatures are borderline for interfering with the already-done annealing of the alloy. These wheels are not forged, so whatever, but top notch paint will get you a better visual result than powder coat. Most of the websites telling you otherwise are just powder companies or people pushing their services.

BBS FI-R etc are painted wheels not powder coated, FYI.

I think powder coating can come out very well and it is easier and cheaper than paint. You have to know who is painting your wheels if you want a true OEM quality result.

Last edited by chris719; 02-27-2024 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:11 AM   #8
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:

Whatever you decide, please post pics! I saw someone post white wheels on ZB and it looked SICK!
Appreciate 2
Geighty71400.00
Ronin76740.00
      02-28-2024, 06:54 AM   #9
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I paid $600 to have the oem wheels on my 330e powdercoated, so $800 isn't that bad. $400 to ceramic coat them, however, is ridiculous. I can get an entire car + wheels ceramic coated for $600.

Re: white. That's so late '80s early '90s not in a good way, imo.

*I amend my statement re: $400 for ceramic coating wheels. I see I paid $500 for the ceramic coating on the forged wheels for my Z06.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 02-28-2024 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2024, 07:10 AM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Fwiw - I have a set of forged wheels on my Z06 & they are powder coated. Ceramic coating was also included in the price.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71400.00
      02-28-2024, 09:34 AM   #11
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Fwiw - I have a set of forged wheels on my Z06 & they are powder coated. Ceramic coating was also included in the price.
3 questions-
What was the price if you don’t mind me asking? How did they come out? How long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:38 AM   #12
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
3 questions-
What was the price if you don’t mind me asking? How did they come out? How long did it take?
Retail price was ~$5k, I paid a little over $4 maybe with a group discount. Came out great, and took about 8 weeks iirc. These were powder coated gloss black, clear coated, then ceramic coated.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 02-28-2024 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
Geighty71400.00
      02-28-2024, 09:45 AM   #13
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Retail price was ~$5k, I paid a little over $4 maybe with a group discount. Came out great, and took about 6 weeks iirc.
Oh I understand, powder coat came with wheels when bought?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:51 AM   #14
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Oh I understand, powder coat came with wheels when bought?
Correct. Standard finishes were included in the price. I will amend my previous statement about the cost of ceramic coating. I noticed on my invoice it was $500, though the vendor "included" it in the total price. It was a wash because I received a $1,100 discount.

Appreciate 1
Geighty71400.00
      02-29-2024, 05:55 AM   #15
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

IMO, the cost of a high quality paint correction/ceramic coating substantially exceeds $600.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      02-29-2024, 08:43 AM   #16
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
IMO, the cost of a high quality paint correction/ceramic coating substantially exceeds $600.
Many also have different lasting times based on layering. Some offer a 2 year protection vs 5 year etc. You may be able to get the lower level options for less but agreed full car for at least the 5 year coverage at 600 for example would be a steal.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:03 AM   #17
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

I thought about white wheels (or some white) with the ZB and was speaking with the owner of a wheel manufacturer. He said white on the ZB would look nice but he did warn me that there would be a great deal of cleaning involved as the dirt will show on white wheels pretty easily. He recommended ceramic coating which I was going to do anyway and it seems you will also. I just know myself that after some time, I will get tired of doing it so I think I may pass. That being said, I have some time before even getting my car so if you do this, please posts pics. It may help me change my mind.

This person got chrome and white work wheels for her ZB car. I think they look good...

Appreciate 1
Geighty71400.00
      02-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #18
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
I thought about white wheels (or some white) with the ZB and was speaking with the owner of a wheel manufacturer. He said white on the ZB would look nice but he did warn me that there would be a great deal of cleaning involved as the dirt will show on white wheels pretty easily. He recommended ceramic coating which I was going to do anyway and it seems you will also. I just know myself that after some time, I will get tired of doing it so I think I may pass. That being said, I have some time before even getting my car so if you do this, please posts pics. It may help me change my mind.

This person got chrome and white work wheels for her ZB car. I think they look good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kFBleVsc4
I’ve seen her before! Just not on this forum…I think it was another website...

I heard the same thing. I’ll most likely keep the OEM until I feel like dropping the bank on LM’s and maybe do a mirror chrome finish instead.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76740.00