bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-29-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
TopG42
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Mod questions

So I know a downpipe, jb4 , etc prevents me from doing a warranty claim which is totally fine... assuming even if I return to stock and they somehow trace it. My question is more so about when I want to trade it in a few years and return it to bone stock, will they bother digging into the ecu the same way they would for a warranty claim to figure out what pricing to give me? I recently traded in a Camaro with an Aftermarket exhaust and the Bmw dealer didnt knock off anything for that but I am guessing down pipe, jb4 is different.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:25 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

downpipe/jb4 won't completely deny your warranty.. only if they can prove that those mods contributed to the issue. they also won't scan your ECU to determine the value of your trade in.
Appreciate 1
TopG4216.50
      03-01-2024, 12:29 AM   #3
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
downpipe/jb4 won't completely deny your warranty.. only if they can prove that those mods contributed to the issue. they also won't scan your ECU to determine the value of your trade in.
They do scan it for CPO. If they are not going to CPO, then anything goes.
      03-01-2024, 12:32 AM   #4
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
Thank you! I know that my entire warranty is good but I would assume turbo/engine would be out of the picture. Although I read that the Jb4 tricks the car into thinking its running normal boost so even if they did a dig it wouldnt be logged that the boost was increased. Still doing more research though but if you or anyone has any other piggy back tune suggestions I am all ears
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:11 AM   #5
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

They can see anything you do to the car if you are worried about powertrain warranty leave it stock. There's no tricking anything the dme is far to advanced now. Personally if I'm bricking my power train warranty I'm doing unlock and actually tuning the car the piggyback stuff really won't optimize the car like an actual tune.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #6
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
They can see anything you do to the car if you are worried about powertrain warranty leave it stock. There's no tricking anything the dme is far to advanced now. Personally if I'm bricking my power train warranty I'm doing unlock and actually tuning the car the piggyback stuff really won't optimize the car like an actual tune.
Yeah I am on the same page but only wondering about trade in after I return to stock. My plan was to tune but I want to wait for bench tune to be available as I cannot go the femto route. I already have the AA downpipe so I figured I already killed the warranty on turbo/exhaust/engine but I wasn't worried because I know the downpipe alone isn't that risky of a mod. I really want to go for the JB4 and probably stick to map 3 or 4 just to see what that small boost of psi is like. I've only heard good things about it but you are right a full blown tune will definitely be better. Just sucks the femto route is the only way rn and I can't go really go that long without my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 02:43 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

i have leased cars all my life, all of them fully built with tuners, suspension, exhaust, carbon fiber,etc...

Never had any issue when returning the car at the end of the lease.

If the car is not damaged, they wont give you a hard time

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 04:53 PM   #8
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
i have leased cars all my life, all of them fully built with tuners, suspension, exhaust, carbon fiber,etc...

Define damaged
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 06:03 PM   #9
TopG42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Well what would you suggest is the best piggy back tuner and also a suggested exhaust to pair with my AA downpipe? I purchased it from your site btw A+ service
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:04 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
Well what would you suggest is the best piggy back tuner and also a suggested exhaust to pair with my AA downpipe? I purchased it from your site btw A+ service
Thank you

The Jb4 is the best piggyback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0