BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-08-2024, 05:03 AM   #1
Joe AUTOID
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

The best lowering springs for G87 M2 compared.

We thought we would give our thoughts on the differences between the best lowering spring solutions on the market for the G87 M2.
Aimed towards those looking for a fast road set up rather than a full blown track coilover.
Especially given how terrible the road conditions are here the UK right now - being able to retain the OEM adaptive suspension is vital.

MSS SUSPENSION - NO COMPROMISE CHOICE.

Finding the Ideal Balance Between Comfort and Performance.

For drivers seeking an enhanced driving experience without sacrificing ride quality, MSS (Modular Suspension Solutions) offers an intriguing solution.
Their adjustable suspension kits promise to bridge the gap between comfort and performance, a claim we recently put to the test.

The Technology: Understanding Triple Rate Springs
The core of MSS's approach lies in their Triple Rate Spring Technology. This design incorporates three distinct spring rates within a single unit, offering a progressive response to road conditions:
  • Initial Rate: A soft initial rate absorbs imperfections for improved grip and comfort.
  • Secondary Rate: A stiffer secondary rate engages during cornering, enhancing handling and control.
  • Final Rate: The stiffest rate activates under extreme loads (hard acceleration, braking, evasive manoeuvres) to maintain composure and maximise tyre contact.

Front and Rear Specific Design
  • Front Suspension: Focuses on ride quality and front-end stability, offering adjustable lowering drop of 50mm.
  • Rear Suspension: A heavy-duty single-rate spring prioritizes performance, working in conjunction with rear shocks for stability in various driving scenarios.

Key Advantages
  • Customisation: Fine-tune ride height to your preference, even returning to stock height if necessary.
  • Uncompromised Comfort: Delivers a smoother ride than many traditional lowering solutions.
  • High-Speed Stability: The system excels at high speeds, inspiring confidence.
  • Retains Factory Feel: Integrates seamlessly, maintaining the car's original character.

See MSS HAS on G80 M3 review on bimmerpost

See MSS HAS on F80 M3 review on M3 cutters

Jack AUTOID thoughts:

'The ride has been transformed since moving to the MSS Hybrid system. It’s one of those things that you think you wouldn’t notice, buts genuinely night and day.
The ride is much more supple around town, it’s also a lot better at riding undulations in the road at high speed.
You’d think that would compromise corner turn in and general agility, but it’s a much more agile car under load.
The G87 M2 remains totally flat and balanced around corners, then with a more stable back end you can get power down without traction issues.
No more wheel hop or judder when exiting corners.
So with the MSS you have a car that is more comfortable, and more capable. It’s an excellent upgrade. This has been the best suspension upgrade for my G87 M2.'

Conclusion

If you desire a lowered stance and improved handling without overly compromising ride quality, MSS presents a compelling option as being the best suspension for G87 M2 for a fast road set up. Their technology and engineering suggest a strong focus on balancing performance and everyday usability. While a premium investment, the lifetime warranty of MSS lowering springs adds peace of mind for G87 M2 owners.

Buy MSS Height Adjustable Suspension on our store.

COBRA HAS - ENTHUSIASTS CHOICE.

If you're looking to enhance the performance and aesthetics of your BMW G8X M2 M3 M4, Cobra Suspension offers a compelling solution with their height-adjustable lowering springs. Here's what you need to know:

Key Benefits
  • Customised Stance: Fine-tune your BMW's ride height with a lowering range of 20-45mm (front) and 0-30mm (rear) adjustments. Achieve the ideal blend of aggressive looks and practicality.
  • Quality Construction: Cobra Suspension, a recognised leader in Europe, utilises high-quality materials and backs their products with a reputation for excellence.
  • Track-Tested: These springs have been rigorously tested on the Nürburgring, ensuring they can handle the demands of performance driving.
  • Improved Handling: Lowering your car's centre of gravity translates to reduced body roll, sharper cornering, and increased overall stability.

Why Consider Cobra?
  • For BMW G87 M2 owners seeking a cost-effective way to elevate their driving experience, Cobra Height Adjustable Suspension delivers the ideal combination of:
  • Performance gains.
  • Aesthetic enhancement.
  • Reliable construction backed by a strong reputation.

We supplied Prabhul with a set of Cobra Height Adjustable spring for his G87 M2, check out his documentation of the installation process and review on the kit:

www.youtube.com/zGhZjAJrXcM?si=tfb6JzOFr7xVjQ0z

See Prabhul's G87 M2 on Cobra HAS bimmerpost thread

Conclusion:
If you're a BMW owner who craves a sharper driving experience and a more aggressive stance for your BMW G87 M2, Cobra Height Adjustable Suspension is worth serious consideration. Their track-tested design, customisable height and reputation for quality offer a compelling upgrade package.

Buy Cobra Height Adjustable Suspension for G87 M2 from our store.

Shot of our G87 M2 on Cobra Height Adjustable Suspension

EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS - PRACTICAL CHOICE.

For BMW M2 G87 owners seeking a more aggressive stance, the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Kit offers a solid solution without breaking the bank whilst retaining that OEM height usability.

Key Benefits
  • Enhanced Handling: A lowered center of gravity translates to reduced body roll, improved cornering precision, and reduced nosedive under braking.
  • Sporty Stance: Achieve a subtle yet noticeable G87 M2 lowering spring drop (15-20mm front, 10-15mm rear) for enhanced aesthetics without compromising practicality.
  • Eibach Expertise: Eibach's proven track record in performance suspension ensures precision engineering, rigorous testing, and compatibility with factory dampers.

Why consider Eibach?
  • The Eibach Pro-Kit stands out as an ideal upgrade for discerning enthusiasts due to its:
  • Performance Focus: Delivers tangible improvements in traction, cornering stability, and overall responsiveness.
  • Refined Aesthetics: Closes the wheel gap for a sportier appearance while maintaining a comfortable ride height.
  • Balanced Engineering: Designed with progressive spring rates to optimise handling without sacrificing ride quality on daily commutes and longer drives.

Watch us fit the Eibach lowering springs to our G87 M2 and give our thoughts:

www.youtube.com/RwReG3Qi29s?si=upOE3K2UddoUKdgE

Conclusion

The Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Kit offers a sophisticated solution for BMW M2 G87 owners looking to refine their car's handling characteristics and achieve a more purposeful stance. Backed by Eibach's reputation for quality, it's a smart investment for drivers seeking that extra edge in both performance and style.

Buy Eibach Lowering Springs for G87 M2 from our store.

Eibach Pro kit fitted to our G87 M2

ALL KITS COMPARED (INC OEM)

LOWERING SPRINGS VS COILOVERS FOR BMW G87 M2?

The benefit of using lowering spring solutions over coilover suspension is being able to retain the factory OEM adaptive M suspension which is so valuable for road conditions similar to those here in the UK.
Choosing between lowering springs and coilovers for your BMW G87 M2 comes down to your individual goals and needs.

Lowering Springs
  • Maintains Factory Adaptive Suspension: Retaining the OEM adaptive M suspension preserves the system's ability to adjust to varying road conditions for optimum comfort and performance.
  • Cost-Effective Upgrade: Ideal for drivers wanting a visual enhancement (lowered stance) and mild handling improvements without breaking the bank.
  • Ease of Installation: Less complex than a full coilover swap, making them more accessible for DIY or straightforward for a professional mechanic.
  • Limitations: Ride height is fixed (or minimally adjustable in some kits), and may not be as customisable for track-focused setups.

Coilovers
  • Maximum Adjustability: Fine-tune ride height, damper rebound, and compression for the ultimate control over suspension setup.
  • Track-Oriented Performance: Suited for experts seeking to dial in their M2 precisely for track days and highly competitive driving.
  • Higher Cost: Quality coilovers are a significant investment compared to lowering springs.
  • Potential Ride Quality Compromise: Stiff track-focused setups can sacrifice daily driving comfort on rougher roads.

Who Should Choose Which?
  • Lowering Springs: Best for drivers wanting a lowered stance, moderate handling improvements, and to preserve the adaptive M suspension. Ideal for street driving, especially in areas with varying road conditions.
  • Coilovers: Target skilled drivers who prioritise track performance and want complete customisation over their suspension setup.

G87 M2 enthusiasts have discussed this topics over at Bimmerpost in great length and judging by the poll height adjustable springs came out on top at a whopping 64% vote, followed by 19% voted for lowering springs and lastly coilovers at 17%.

WILL LOWERING SPRINGS VOID MY WARRANTY?

Generally speaking lowering springs do not cause warranty issues in of themselves, however by lowering the car you are putting the damper and suspension system through increased load and wear.
So this is worth considering before modifying your car - if you are unsure about what affects your warranty we recommend contacting your dealer or finance company before going ahead.

Here at AUTOID we offer lowering spring solutions from Eibach, Cobra, MSS as well as genuine BMW M Performance suspension.
We also offer installation on all products on our store, so If you’re interested in lowering your G87 M2 as well as any other BMW M car get in touch for an installation quote today.

WHAT DID WE GO FOR?

It comes as no surprise that out of all above kits we found the MSS Hybrid HAS to be the best performing.
The triple spring rated technology in conjunction with the adaptive M suspension ensures the G87 M2 remains compliant to the surface of the road yet firm and flat when you need it most.

The softer initial spring rate taking in the smaller bumps, with flat cornering when loaded up onto the stiffer spring inspires confidence to a level the other kits can't offer.

Last edited by Joe AUTOID; 03-08-2024 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 3
BMR.WRLD255.00
turo162.50
      03-20-2024, 05:27 AM   #2
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AUTOID View Post
We thought we would give our thoughts on the differences between the best lowering spring solutions on the market for the G87 M2.
Aimed towards those looking for a fast road set up rather than a full blown track coilover.
Especially given how terrible the road conditions are here the UK right now - being able to retain the OEM adaptive suspension is vital.

MSS SUSPENSION - NO COMPROMISE CHOICE.

Finding the Ideal Balance Between Comfort and Performance.

For drivers seeking an enhanced driving experience without sacrificing ride quality, MSS (Modular Suspension Solutions) offers an intriguing solution.
Their adjustable suspension kits promise to bridge the gap between comfort and performance, a claim we recently put to the test.

The Technology: Understanding Triple Rate Springs
The core of MSS's approach lies in their Triple Rate Spring Technology. This design incorporates three distinct spring rates within a single unit, offering a progressive response to road conditions:[LIST][*]Initial Rate: A soft initial rate absorbs imperfections for improved grip and comfort.[*]Secondary Rate: A stiffer secondary rate engages during cornering, enhancing handling and control.[*]Final Rate: The stiffest rate [...]
Can you share alignment sheet for MSS springs? And specify if it was done Laden or Unladen (with bmw weight distribution and a full tank or not)

Interested in the MSS kit but would be great to have a suggested alignment reference point (Happy to even receive it privately post purchase)

Would also be fair to mention that the MSS kit will require 12mm spacers to clear the adjustment perch
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #3
KenblueM2
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

I Would like to know the same as I have MSS installed on my car now waiting till spring to get the alignment done.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:41 PM   #4
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenblueM2 View Post
I Would like to know the same as I have MSS installed on my car now waiting till spring to get the alignment done.
How do you like them so far?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #5
KenblueM2
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

The installation was fairly straightforward. I did it over the Christmas holidays but I live in Canada and waiting for better weather to go out and play. I still need to get an alignment was hoping see other results. They are both at max lowering but might bring it up a bit. Here are a few photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Baller145.50
      03-23-2024, 05:22 AM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenblueM2 View Post
The installation was fairly straightforward. I did it over the Christmas holidays but I live in Canada and waiting for better weather to go out and play. I still need to get an alignment was hoping see other results. They are both at max lowering but might bring it up a bit. Here are a few photos.
Please keep me posted on your alignment spec if MSS/AutoID doesn’t share anything!

It’s the most advanced kit on the market but the alignment can be the difference between a ruined ride and a noticeable improvement
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Unfortunately your youtube link for the Eibach isn't valid.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:02 AM   #8
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Not sure if I buy into MSS's claim that combining two different spring rates does something special. Two springs in parallel just creates one new overall spring rate... Kind of like how combining two resistors just creates one new level of overall resistance (except the parallel and series formulas are switched for resistors vs springs) ...

Would for someone to explain what I'm missing though.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series...rallel_springs
Appreciate 0