E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 E92 N51 Shut Off While Driving? Vanos Recall Issue?

03-10-2024, 06:14 PM   #1
BeamChop
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
  [0.00]
2011 E92 N51 Shut Off While Driving? Vanos Recall Issue?

Hey guys,

Last night I was driving my 2011 328i xDrive around the city. As I completed a turn onto a side block, both myself and even my girlfriend (who isn’t into cars at all) noticed that it felt as if the car brifiely jerked, for lack of a better word. As i get to end of this block and roll to a stop a sign, the engine in the car stalled and was never able to be started thereafter. I had the car towed to a local BMW dealership but unfortunately today is Sunday so I have to wait.

My main concern is the reasoning as to why this happened. I recently became aware of the fact that certain N51/N52 etc cars were placed under recall for the VANOS bolts breaking. My car is affected by the recall but there has been no remedy for months. One of the symptoms for the issue is the illumination of the SES light, which has remained on my dash for months even after replacing DMTL pump and clearing codes. Another symptoms of sheared VANOS bolts includes the car stalling and not being able to crank thereafter, as did mine. Unfortunately I didn’t have my laptop to pull codes after the car stalled. Something to note was that as the engine shut off, there was a very distinct, sweet smell in the cabin that myself and my girlfriend noticed (coolant, maybe?). Weirdly right before this happened I was checking my oil level through the dashboard menu and noticed that it was right above the minimum level (Usually 5k miles btw oil change but have been busy with work recently)

If the car infact stalled due to sheared VANOS bolts, where do I go from here? This recall has been in affect for maybe around 5/6 months now without any remedy ever becoming available. Is my car supposed to just sit at the BMW dealer until the remedy for the recall is available for dealers to go ahead and complete repairs?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:26 PM   #2
BeamChop
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
  [0.00]
Bump. Spoke to someone at BMW and was told that the wrong type of battery was installed in the car. I’m waiting for a complete diagnostic to determine whether it is a battery/recall/etc issue
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamChop View Post
... 2011 328ix... the engine in the car stalled and was never able to be started thereafter.[(a) NO Crank, or (b) Crank, NO Start?]... SES light...has remained on my dash for months even after replacing DMTL pump and clearing codes.[What codes are NOW present? What warning lights appeared BEFORE engine stalled?] ... Unfortunately I didn’t have my laptop to pull codes after the car stalled.[WHAT Diagnostic Software on Laptop? INPA/ISTA?] ...
You TOWED a "NO Start" vehicle to $Dealer without ANY Diagnosis? You don't carry a cheap Multimeter in Glovebox? If NO Crank, perhaps simply discharged battery due to broken serpentine belt, bad alternator, etc. BTW, HFT has sale on Multimeter: $3 -- you can't buy a 9V battery for that price:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter

Yes, your 2011 N51 is subject to VANOS Bolt Recall. But WHY fear the worst? It COULD be any number of things that cost $$$$ at $Dealer. $3 Multimeter & your Laptop SHOULD be able to Diagnose most anything, at least with Forum Help. How much would it cost to tow your vehicle home if Dealer won't let YOU read codes or test battery voltage on its lot?

Since your vehicle is ALREADY at Dealer, ask if they can use Endoscope to check for loose/ broken VANOS Bolts. A USB Endoscope attaches to phone/ computer, is inserted through oil filler cap, and shows condition of Bolts, WITHOUT removal of VC. If they want to charge $$$ for that, you can get one yourself for $20 (Amazon).
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 03-11-2024 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 3